Milano Salami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Picked up pork butts for $0.99/# today, along with a beef sirloin roast for $1.99/#. Can't beat that. I bought 2 double packs of butts, biggest ones I could find, so I could roll the coppa muscles out to put to cure for Capocolla. The rest of the pork butt and fat cap will be for the Milano along with the beef. This is the beginning of project Muffaletta-the sandwich that which originated in New Orleans. The meats include Coppa, Milano, and Mortadella. I have the raw unsalted pistachios along with the 4.5" red plastic casings for the Mortadella. No rush on the Mortadella though as both the coppas and the Milano will take months to cure and dry. I will wait until my 1/2 of a salami pig arrives to make the Mortadella so I can use some of that fat and trim scraps in the emulsion, along with 1/4" cubes of back fat (blanched of course so they bond in the mince).

So, I pre cut the 65mm beef middles to 26" and tied at one end,got them soaking in a 2% vinegar and water rinse overnight. Seasonings are weighed out and the garlic is crushed and soaking in 150mL of Chianti wine. Pics. sometime tomorrow when I get a break.....making 5kilos...

Good God! Your Energy, Drive and Ambition is limitless! I'm a mix of Impressed and incredibly Envious at the same time. I was just talking to my Daughter about making a Muffaletta, well as close as we can get using Prosciutto, Sopressetta and Salami...JJ

Good God! Your Energy, Drive and Ambition is limitless! I'm a mix of Impressed and incredibly Envious at the same time. I was just talking to my Daughter about making a Muffaletta, well as close as we can get using Prosciutto, Sopressetta and Salami...JJ
Thanks Chef jimmyj..

I have not had this much fun making sausages since I first started learning about the process at 5 years old turning the grinder crank helping my grandfather! And once I got into salami-wow the possibilities are as limitless as the number of salami recipes. There are just so many!!

One day, I will have a walk-in drying chamber....that I promise. If this 1/2 pig I'm getting is as good as I know it will be, then I will need a place to put it all...a small hijacked refrigerator or freezer just is not big enough....

BTW, Central Grocery in New Orleans...that's the place. They will ship Muffalettas across the U.S. now...
https://centralgrocery.com

Reactions: 73saint
Wow another great project in the making. Surely waiting to see the finish.

Warren
Thanks Warren. I'll take some pics.
Sounds like a fun project!
Al
Yes it is Al! This is a special request from the family....they want Muffalettas....and I love making sausages!
This is an awesome project. I cant wait to see some pictures of the process.
Thanks Sowsage. Stand by, pics. later today...

Ugh, I can't keep up! I couldn't keep up last month when I was still only working about 20 hours a week; now that I am back to full time you are going to lap me!

I will continue to live vicariously through you!

Reactions: indaswamp
After trimming and chunking the pork and Beef, I weighed it.13.8kg....with the exact ratio of beef to pork I was shooting for...So.....

I did some quick calculations, figure I can fit 7 Milano salamis 60-65mm dia, X 25" long in my chamber. All the Nduja is finished, and 1/2 the Calabrese Sopressatta will be finished in the next 2 days. Should have room. Each Milano will weigh around 2 kilos....

Here's one of the Coppas trimmed and ready to be cured:
MmsPicture_20200929112100.jpeg

Meat is inda freezer....will be grinding shortly after I weigh out more seasonings...LOL!

Reactions: chef jimmyj
I love Coppa, for it's great flavor and for sentimental reasons. It was the first dry cured meat I ever had. My Grandfather made them and the area my Mom grew up in is pretty much 50/50 Polish and Italian. Coppa was very common, and cheap, in area Deli's...JJ

Reactions: indaswamp
I love Coppa, for it's great flavor and for sentimental reasons. It was the first dry cured meat I ever had. My Grandfather made them and the area my Mom grew up in is pretty much 50/50 Polish and Italian. Coppa was very common, and cheap, in area Deli's...JJ
Thanks chef jimmyj. These coppas will go in umai Dry bags after curing because my chamber is not big enough... I'd rather put whole cuts in umai dry bags because I like the benefits mold give to salami. So all the salami will be in my chamber until I can step up to a larger one.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Milanos are stuffed into the 60-65mm beef middles hanging in the fermentation chamber trash can. I still need to prick, truss and weigh and tag them; but I'm taking a break for supper....gumbo tonight!

Here's some of the pics. I snapped...

grind out of freezer ready for mixing..,good and cold!
IMG_20200929_152120.jpg

Seasoning, cure #2, dextrose and sugar added..
IMG_20200929_152225.jpg

And the garlic infused wine...
IMG_20200929_152313.jpg

Stuffed... made these 24" long...
IMG_20200929_155844.jpg

in the fermentation chamber..
IMG_20200929_171730.jpg

Reactions: BGKYSmoker
Very nice.

Your incubation chamber should have nice growth by now.
Thanks Rick.

Yep. I did not even need to inoculate the Milano salami with mold 600, I just hung other salamis close to them and the mold growth took off.

This is 6 days into drying in the chamber...
IMG_20201005_193036.jpg

Last edited:
When the Genoa and pepperoni are finished, I think I wanna make Crespone next...with honey and Marsala wine. I saw an Italian recipe that looked really good! But instead of a hog bung cap, I will use the 60-65mm beef middles I have on hand.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky