Mike from Upstate SC

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

clemsonmike323

Original poster
Oct 15, 2013
Inman, SC
Hey guys my name is Mike and I'm a pretty big newb when it comes to smoking. I have a offset SFB smoker. I know, I know it's not the best thing in the world, but the birthday is coming up in May and plan on asking the wifey for a new one. With 2 young children (who are both still in daycare by the way) I don't really have the funds I would like to spend on a new smoker. Anyway, I smoked about 8 times last summer/fall. Mainly butts, ribs, and leg quarters. I must be doing something right because my wife has always hated pulled pork and last year she kept asking me when I was going to make more. This is the greatest hobby in the world and there's nothing better than spending a day sitting by the smoker with the kids playing in the yard. Hope to learn a lot of the knowledge that you guys have spread across this website. Planning on smoking this Saturday... Can't wait!!

[h3]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything.   
[/h3][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

Hey Mike, from Myrtle Beach!  I agree with you 100%. You will find lots of great ideas and friendly folks here who are willing to help if you ever need it. So what are planning on smoking Saturday?  I'll be doing some myself, just haven't decided yet what it will be.

mtm, Myrtle Beach home of never a dull moment!!! I haven't gotten down that way in a few years I need to try to get there this year.

As far as Sat goes I'm thinking right now a 10lb butt and about 4 racks of baby backs. Lump oak charcoal and haven't decided on cherry or pecan yet. What you got in mind for Sat?

Welcome Mike!

I'm also a Clemson man .,., class of '64. I currently live in Covington, Ga (about 30 miles east of Atlanta). This is indeed a great place to feed your habit. It's loaded with great advice and great people. Good luck with your smoke this weekend.

You got that right, Mike!  You should try to make it down for the Beach, Boogie, and BBQ competition this year. Great Q, beer, and great beach music...what a combination!

Thanks for the welcome responses. Certainly glad to see the Clemson faithful well represented. There truly is something in those hills....

. Anyway, I smoked about 8 times last summer/fall. Mainly butts, ribs, and leg quarters. I must be doing something right because my wife has always hated pulled pork and last year she kept asking me when I was going to make more. This is the greatest hobby in the world and there's nothing better than spending a day sitting by the smoker with the kids playing in the yard.
Sounds like you've got it all figured out already, now you just have to keep meat on the fire. Ain't life great! Just wait till you start the mac & cheese and/or wickedly good beans on the pit, throw on some garlic bread, use the good "Dixie" china. Your bride will be loving it! LOL... but she'll never understand the pictures.......ROFLMAO!

You guys sound like you've almost got a Myrtle Beach group thingie started.

Last edited:
You got that right, Mike!  You should try to make it down for the Beach, Boogie, and BBQ competition this year. Great Q, beer, and great beach music...what a combination!

When is the Beach, Boogie, and BBQ festival? Sounds like we may have our vacation spot for this year!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky