Mexican Charro Beans

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Made this yesterday.
Makes a large pot......Recipe follows.

Slow cooker the pinto's for 4 hours on high. Add 1/4 onion and some salt. Cover and dont stir.
chb.jpg

Cook up 5 slices of chopped bacon.
chb1.jpg

Chop up 1 cup of ham
3 all beef franks
And 1 pound of chorizo. Set these aside while you chop up the greens and get the dry measured.
chb2.jpg

1 tsp each of, smoked paprika, salt, pepper, oregano and cumin. set aside.
chb7.jpg

Chop 1-2 japs (seeded9 1 chipotle in adobo and as much cilantro as you like (i went mild because i dont want cilantro beans)
chb5.jpg

Not pictured is 2 cloves of garlic chopped.

Now add the chorizo and cook well with the bacon.
Feel free to drain this if you like after.
chb3.jpg

Next add the beef franks and the ham, cook on low heat.
chb4.jpg

By now the slow cooker pinto should be getting close to being timed out.

Next add the jap, cilantro, diced onion 3/4 cup, and chipotle (also add 2 tsp of the chipotle sauce.
mix well on low.
chb9.jpg

Add the garlic and the dry. Low heat.
chb8.jpg

Add the tomato. I used low salt canned (drained)
chb10.jpg

If your beans have times out add them and all the liquid to the pot.

Boil at med for 30 mins. The beans will get tender.
chb11.jpg

Serve with anything you like...tortillas, chips you name it.
chb12.jpg

Ingredients
1 16 oz uncooked pack dry pinto beans. Pick thru and rinse before adding to the slow cooker.
5 slices bacon cut into smaller pieces
3 beef franks cut into cubes
1 cup ham cut into cubes
1 pound Mexican chorizo
2 tomatoes diced or 2 cans diced drained
1/2 bunch of cilantro chopped
1/2 onion diced
jalapeño if desired
1 more chipotle peppers depending on how spicy you want it
2 clove garlic chopped
1 tsp ea pepper, oregano, paprika, cumin, and salt to taste.

To Cook the Pinto Beans - Stove top
Add the rinsed beans to a large pot with plenty of water, salt, and a small piece of onion.
Let boil for about 1.5 hours, checking often to make sure that there is still enough water.

To Cook the Pinto Beans - Slow Cooker
Add the rinsed beans to a slow cooker with plenty of water, salt, and a small piece of onion.
Turn the slow cooker on to high and heat for 3-4 hours.

To Make The Charro Beans
Add the bacon to a large pot and cook for about 5 minutes.
Add the chorizo and continue cooking until cooked through.
After about 5 minutes, add the ham, the beef franks, and the seasonings (including the garlic).
Next, add the tomatoes, the cilantro, the onion, the jalapeno, and the chipotle pepper and cook for 5 additional minutes.
Finally, add the cooked pinto beans and the water that they were cooked in and let boil for about 30 minutes so that all of the flavors can combine.
If you want to thicken your charro beans, you can combine 2 tablespoons of corn starch with 1/4 cup of cold water and mix well before adding it to the pot.

That looks fantastic! I'm like you insofar as too many recipes & restaurants are too heavy handed with the cilantro. A little fresh cilantro is all that's needed for complementary, not overpowering, flavor.

I love charro beans, but they're on my "Highly Not Recommended" dietary item lists for now, anyway. A small experiment pushing that envelope recently didn't work well for me; I'm not an especially patient person particularly with myself. Maybe in another 6 months things will be different but until then thanks for the eye candy!

Great pot of beans, I must try
Did you make your own chorizo , or store bought. If you made could I look over your recipe. I just made Chorizo Verde
for my throwdown and it was amazing, so now I want to try reg. chorizo

David

Looks excellent Rick!
Thanks for posting the recipe!
I bookmarked it!
Great for the cold weather we have been having!
Al

Man that screams out for some Cheesy Jalapeno cornbread. I would put a hurting on myself with that.
Jim

Great recipe Rick, flavors out the wazoo! Thanks for sharing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky