Mexican Bone In Rib Roast???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

leejay99

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
Near Dover, DE
Hey everyone! I am shopping for my work Christmas Party. Scouring the local ads, I found a meat market that has "Mexican Bone In Rib Roast" listed. I can't seem to find anything on Google as far as what it refers to. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Lee

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 5
Not 100%, but my guess would be that it is a bone in ribeye that is seasoned with "Mexican" flavoring spices.

The raised on Mexico sounds pretty likely. Would it be worth looking at? Or is it just a really cheap piece of meat? Only about a 15 minute drive so if it doesn't look good, really no harm done. Or should I not even bother?

From my short reading, all meat being sold in the US, must still be inspected by the USDA. So it should be safe, biggest question would be quality as they dont mark as Choice, or Prime. Not saying its bad, just not marked. It could be on or the other or even a step up.

Damn it, now I'm going to have to go take a look, LOL. Anything I should be looking for or anything I should stay away from?

Sounds like the meat you see in sale in the "hood" butchers. Point being, I can go down to the meat stores in bad areas by me and buy 4.99 ribeye steaks all day every day, but it's generally a quality of meat that's not something you'd really be happy with.

Not being a snob, it's just a lower quality of meat. That's why it's available to be sold a such a low price.

I think I would take a drive over & look at it.
Did it specify that it was beef & not pork?
I have never seen Prime rib on sale for that cheap.
But this is the time of year when they go on sale.
I can get a USDA Choice Prime rib roast for $6.99 a pound at Publix this week.
And that is about as low as they will take it.
Al

A couple of months back right after we moved to AZ I bought two standing rib roasts, one from Safeway @ $4.99lb, the other from Fry's @ $4.73lb. The holiday season sales should be coming out this week, I'll be looking to score again soon. RAY

I have smoked a few of the bone in rib roasts that were "Mexican". Although I am sure its not the greatest quality of meat out there...for $4.79 a lb its hard to beat. Tasted great just make sure you don't overdo it!

Reactions: jcam222
I wonder if it's in the pooch parlor part of the meat section. You know where the meat is at or close to the sell by date.

Chris

I found several articles online about Mexican beef quality. It is leaner meat with higher levels of collagen catering to Mexican tastes and culinary dishes. Only recently, relatively speaking, has Mexican beef production started finishing grass-fed beef with feedlot grains to increase fat marbling for the US market. I think I'm going to check out a local Mexican carniceria.

I know Australian beef is awful, but I'm willing to give Mexican beef a shot!
But the one thing the Aussies have is the most wonderful lamb in the world.
Why in the heck can't the US produce lamb like that?
Al

Because people won't eat it. I'd love it if lamb were more readily available to the US market without being priced @ 9.99 /lb and up. I'm lucky to live somewhat close to the largest Arab community in the US, but it is still close to a 2 hour drive, so it's not like I can get it too often.

Well, I guess it is a moot point now, LOL. I found Prime Rib on sale at my local Acme market for $4.77 a pound. I don't even think taking a look at the Mexican roast is going to be worth my while.

Thanks for all the responses. I never fail to get my questions answered.

I know Australian beef is awful, but I'm willing to give Mexican beef a shot!
But the one thing the Aussies have is the most wonderful lamb in the world.
Why in the heck can't the US produce lamb like that?
Al
The Aussie meat we get from food lion is always good here.7.99/# for beef tenderloin and taste like beef...

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Reactions: jcam222
I have 4 of those in the freezer. And had a couple already. Up here they are not tagged "Mexican" But it is labeled born, raised and harvested in Mexico. The quality is fine. The boneless rib roast I'm doing today is from Mexico. They are FDA approved beef. And the sell or freeze date is 12/19 The bone in roast is 4.99. The boneless is 5.99 a pound.

I have 4 of those in the freezer. And had a couple already. Up here they are not tagged "Mexican" But it is labeled born, raised and harvested in Mexico. The quality is fine. The boneless rib roast I'm doing today is from Mexico. They are FDA approved beef. And the sell or freeze date is 12/19 The bone in roast is 4.99. The boneless is 5.99 a pound.
This is how the ones I get from Savealot are labeled as well. Just picked up a pack of T bones there yesterday $3.99,/ lbs. and a pack of porterhouse for $4.29 / lbs.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky