Metal tool box build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

joecoll911

Original poster
A friend offered me a tool box with two doors. It's about 5' tall x 3' x 4'. It's painted. Will I be ok to paint the inside with high temp stove paint? Won't have any insulation. Might build a brick foundation to set it on. That will get it a bit higher off the ground.

Now. How should I heat and smoke it? Propane burner or outside old woodstove.

Originally Posted by S2K9K  [h3]edited post[/h3]
38x38px-ZC-84cf1503_download.jpg

S2K9K
Yesterday at 8:39 pm

Black,
I just wanted to let you know I had to edit one of your posts and delete a link. As per @TulsaJeff and our User Guidelines, offsite links are not permitted to be posted on this forum.
Here is a link to the edited post:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/139323/stx-turboforce-3000-series-grinder#post_1074283
Thank You for understanding,
Moderator Team
That's OK, edit my posts as you like
Beating_A_Dead_Horse_by_livius.gif

Last edited:
No pictures yet. Wife has asked I wait until after Easter to bring it home. He host 60 or so for Easter.

Planning the build. The box is 3x4x5'. Planning on a cinder block base. Thinking I should remove the bottom other than the area where it will sit on cinder blocks. The base big enough to either build a fire or insert a propane burner. Depending on heat needs. Seem like a reasonable plan?

I would not put any paint on the inside burn it good and hot to remove it all then just season it on the inside. You can paint the outside with high temp paint to make it look good but I wouldn't do anything in the chamber where meat will be held.

I would go with a slightly larger opening than the burner is. I looked at my GOSM, and the hole for the burner is about 2 inches wider than the burner.

Starting to work on my smoker. I have a turkey/crab cooker that I plan on using for a fire source. It's low pressure. Plan on cutting a hole in the bottom of the box that's a couple inches bigger than the cooker and allowing the cooker to stick up through box a couple inches. What should I do to create a wood smoking box above the burner? Any pics available?

Starting to work on my smoker. I have a turkey/crab cooker that I plan on using for a fire source. It's low pressure. Plan on cutting a hole in the bottom of the box that's a couple inches bigger than the cooker and allowing the cooker to stick up through box a couple inches. What should I do to create a wood smoking box above the burner? Any pics available?
Here is how I have mine....... but now it has a piece of heavy gage expanded metal on top of the bricks.....I used a burner out of a fish fryer from Bass Pro. The opening around the burner will have an effect on the way the burner works, it took a couple trys to get mine where I was happy with it........ShoneyBoy.
200x200px-ZC-a4b05120_DSCF7524.jpg

Joecoll911, I not sure in you are posing this question to me or not. If you are, I have had it up to 375 degrees, it really depends on how much you put in it......

I burned off paint yesterday. Do I need to get it all off? The metal got to 600 degrees with a woodstove thermometer. I'm thinking that it will never get that hot during smoking so it should not ever put off paint fumes again?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky