Mesquite Grilled Sirloin Roast On The Santa Maria (Heavy Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
This pandemic situation we are all dealing with has certainly changed some of our lifestyles dramatically. I'm seeing a LOT of new members coming in, seeing a lot of folks that have been members for a long time suddenly becoming active, and people that have been active are becoming more prolific with posting stuff. We are all stuck home with the same passion for cooking and now have the time to do it...and share what's been done in the forum. I saw an amazing post yesterday morning from Joe xray xray showcasing a beautiful tomahawk that he'd done on Saturday. That got the cogs turning that I wanted to make a really nice meal yesterday. Being only the two of us, this was probably overkill but it sure was good.

Started with the roast to grill and ground beef to make consomme
002.jpg

Got the consomme going first. It's kinda ugly at first but oh so good when done!!
001.jpg

It's done and strained. this is the part that gets discarded
004.jpg

This is what we keep. Managed to take a pic again after stirring....
007.jpg

Made a couple of Caprese salads
006.jpg

Balsamic reduction for the salads
011.jpg

Y'all know what this is.
005.jpg

The sirloin roast after dry brined for about 5 hours in my beef rub
008.jpg

And we're off!!
009.jpg

Flipped at an IT of about 100 and looking real good!!
013.jpg

Scratch made gravy with drippings from my last brisket. This was fantastic!! Best gravy I've ever made or eaten
012.jpg

Roast getting close so time to put some croissants on the grill
014.jpg

Croissants done
015.jpg

Roast done. Gonna let it sit for a few while we eat the first two courses
016.jpg

First course: The beef consomme garnished with green onions and a couple of buttered croissants. This stuff was fantastic!! We were both blown away by this.
017.jpg

Second course: the Caprese salads with the balsamic reduction
018.jpg

Ready for the main course. Roast sliced. I should have pulled it two minutes earlier....
019.jpg

Money shot. Meal plated with the roast, garlic mashed taters with gravy, and more croissants and butter
023.jpg

This was one spectacular meal. Yes, I should have pulled the roast a couple minutes earlier but cooking on the Santa Maria poses certain challenges unlike other grills. Cooking temp is never consistent from cook to cook nor is it even across the cooking grate. Every piece of wood is different a size, different shapes, varying density, and a couple other things that make this a whole different world of cooking. Yes, I love my Rec Tec but there's something about the SM that makes you really pay attention to what you're doing and I love that aspect. You need to be on your game and this is the first roast I've ever straight up grilled on it. It's ever more difficult when balancing several different things being cooked on multiple cookers and inside on the stove. It was a ton of fun though and gave me something to fill a Sunday afternoon. There's just something about an open fire, wood, and a beautiful piece of meat that just brings out the best in a person :emoji_wink: The flavor from real mesquite and an open fire is something that just cannot be replicated with anything else. The roast was fantastic. Nice smokey flavor, and tender as all get out. I made one small tweak to the consomme and it made a huge difference. This is the best I've ever had. We just love the Caprese salads with a very light dressing with the balsamic reduction, and what's not to love about homemade mashed potatoes along with scratch made gravy. It was a meal made in Heaven that we thoroughly enjoyed. Thank you Joe for the inspiration!!

That's it for this one. See y'all next time,
Robert

Picky-Picky-Picky!!!
Looks About Perfect from the Bear Den View!!!
Love the Plated View!!
Nice Job, Robert!
Like.

Bear

Very nice looking meal. Not much to do but cook lol. Glad I like to cook. I'm still dizzy from the pot stirring pic.

Picky-Picky-Picky!!!
Looks About Perfect from the Bear Den View!!!
Love the Plated View!!
Nice Job, Robert!
Like.

Well Bear, can you blame me? After seeing so many amazing meals you've posted, I want to be just like you when I grow up :emoji_laughing: Seriously, as much cooking as I do, I have a hard time with it if I miss something, especially on a beautiful piece of roast like that sirloin. I'll pay closer attention next time, I promise. Thank you for the kind words and the like though.

Robert

Very nice looking meal. Not much to do but cook lol. Glad I like to cook. I'm still dizzy from the pot stirring pic.

Thank you Jake. The fact that you like to cook certainly shows. You've been putting out some really nice looking stuff. Although I'm not dizzy, I am still trying to get the smell of mesquite out of my nostrils :emoji_anguished: Maybe I should give up trying and just enjoy it.

Robert

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones as I'm still working. I'd go stir crazy if I had to stay home. Now onto the meal, man that looks good Robert. Well done.

Point for sure
Chris

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones as I'm still working. I'd go stir crazy if I had to stay home.

Well, my schedule really has not changed. I work anywhere from a half hour to three hours a day and get paid a full salary. Even if I have nothing to do on any given day, I still get paid. It ain't a bad gig and affords me time to play with my toys on the patio.

Now onto the meal, man that looks good Robert. Well done.

Thank you Chris. Very much appreciate it.

Robert

Looks awesome Robert ! A farm boy's favorite meal... meat, mashed taters and gravy (that you could stand a spoon up in) and bread, who doesn't just love crescent rolls.

Ryan

Great looking meal! I like how you have multiple courses. I might get stuck on the first one and fill up on croissants and consomme.

Nothing wrong with that roast. It looks perfect to me! Very nicely done!

Like!

Robert another excellent meal!! All looks great especially the beef and the caprese salad. So the strained solids from the consommé are pitched? My repurposing alarm is going off :)

Yeah Yeah Yeah 2 minutes sooner just an excuse if we said something like it's a little over done. Hey I would eat that in a heart beat.

Warren

Very nice Robert. I love that Santa Maria set up. I'm very curious about your brisket gravy? I've been working on a gravy BBQ sauce for years with no luck. Used to be an old BBQ joint down by the Red River in Southern Okla that made a "gravy" that the recipe is legendary in these parts because no one knows exactly how Sam made his sauce. Many people have tried but no one has the exact formula. Your's sure looks tasty.

Robert that whole course looks fantastic buddy. The roast is money! Just beautiful. The SM cooking away is a thing of beauty. Hell of a feast your hard work paid off. BIG LIKE!

Reactions: Will Squared
Looks awesome Robert ! A farm boy's favorite meal... meat, mashed taters and gravy (that you could stand a spoon up in) and bread, who doesn't just love crescent rolls.

Thanks so much Ryan. No doubt the final plate is a farm boy's dream but the consomme and Caprese salad kinda takes it a step or two beyond basic meat and taters :emoji_wink:

Robert

Great looking meal! I like how you have multiple courses. I might get stuck on the first one and fill up on croissants and consomme.

I'm kinda getting into the multiple courses once in a while. It makes you slow down, take your time, and savor the meal instead of slamming it down in 15 minutes then start screaming for dessert. It's just a nice touch. Fret not though, with that roast sitting a few feet away exuding that mesquite grilled aroma, there's no way you'd turn that down.

Nothing wrong with that roast. It looks perfect to me! Very nicely done!

Thank you Joe but you know how much of a perfectionist I try to be. It was a great learning experience for the SM though. Raise the grate a bit higher so a tad less direct heat, and keep a VERY close eye on the roast....which I thought I'd done. was still super tender and juicy though.

Robert

Robert another excellent meal!! All looks great especially the beef and the caprese salad.

Very much appreciate it Jeff. We just love the simplicity of the Caprese salads, that's partly why the dressing is so light. Beef? What's not to love??

So the strained solids from the consommé are pitched? My repurposing alarm is going off :)

That's correct. The solids are discarded. If you're into repurposing crushed egg shells, you be my guest :emoji_wink: Now that you know they are in there, go back and look again. You'll see them. If not for those, yes the rest of the stuff tastes really good and would probably have a use. I'm thinking about tying the egg shells in cheese cloth next time. That way I get the benefits of having them in the mix but can toss them at the end and keep the rest of the stuff. First thing that came to mind is Shepard's Pie with what's left.

Robert

Yeah Yeah Yeah 2 minutes sooner just an excuse if we said something like it's a little over done. Hey I would eat that in a heart beat.

Just trying to be honest Warren :emoji_wink: Doesn't do much good to share something if you don't let folks know about the mistakes and pitfalls so they know what to look for if/when they give it a run. Thank you for the very kind words though.

Robert

I'm very curious about your brisket gravy?

Here ya go Randy. This is the exact process

Drippings from the pan. Be sure to scrape the bottom to get any of that crusty goodness
007.jpg

Warm the drippings and add flour
008.jpg

Cook till very thick. This is the roux which is the base of the gravy
009.jpg

I added a little bit of heavy cream and the rest is milk. You can use all milk
010.jpg

Bingo!!
011.jpg

Typically I'll add some spices to amp up the flavor because the flour and milk really takes it down. With this though I didn't add anything. It was perfect right out of the gate, and the best gravy I've ever had.

Robert

Reactions: texomakid
Great lookin' meal Robert.

I have said it a thousand times already but, I could eat meat and taters for every meal, and that plate looks delicious! :emoji_thumbsup:

GREAT BIG LIKE!

Thanks so much John. I'm with you buddy...meat and taters would suit me just fine, however I do like a change once in a while...but it's still gotta have meat :emoji_laughing:

And a roll of quarters for the ride buddy....

Very much appreciate it but we both know that's not likely to happen :emoji_wink:

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky