MES40 waterproof PID controller?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dsmahon

Original poster
Apr 24, 2023
Just finished doing the rewire on my Masterbuilt MES40 to turn it into a dumb heater, and now I need to get a PID to run it. I was going to get the Auber WS-1510-ELPM that tallbm recommended, but found it was only splashproof. I was hoping for something that was completely waterproof so I could just leave it on the smoker outside.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Thank you very much!

Very easy to disconnect and take indoors when not in use. Mounted mine under shelf but I keep in garage when sitting vacant.
20201027_081818.jpg

Never seen one. Doubt it exist. They need air flow to cool the SSR and it's heatsink.
Not sure I'd want to leave such an expensive, easy to carry item so easily accessible longterm either. Some folks will steal almost anything that's not nailed down.

This has come up before . Another member called Auber and they said it needs to be stored inside . Probably true for any and all brands .

Just finished doing the rewire on my Masterbuilt MES40 to turn it into a dumb heater, and now I need to get a PID to run it. I was going to get the Auber WS-1510-ELPM that tallbm recommended, but found it was only splashproof. I was hoping for something that was completely waterproof so I could just leave it on the smoker outside.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Thank you very much!
Never seen a water proof one BUT there may be some kind of waterproof outdoors box you can put it in outside.

Unplugging just the Auber and bringing inside is a simple option that is less costly as well.

I have a Smoke Daddy PID controller installed in my smoker. It was placed in the hopper area then I put a plastic box over the back side of it with silicone to keep the pellet dust and any rain that might get in. It can get airflow from the sides of the plastic box. It has been covered outdoors for a year and a half so far.

Even in Sunny California we do get rain on occasion. about 24" this season. I have had the pellets left in the bottom of the hopper turn into a solid block of mush from the moisture but the controller works great.

EDIT: by covered I meant the smoker has a canvas cover that it came with that I place on it when I am not using it. The smoker sits outdoors 100% of the time.

pid_controller_001.jpg

pid_controller_002.jpg

lg_pellet_smoker_001.jpg

lg_pellet_smoker_003.jpg

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky