MES40 not heating

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chunkvic

Original poster
Nov 9, 2019
I have the cabelas edition MES40. stopped heating. changed out the element today but still doesn't heat. anyone know what the incoming voltage at the female end terminal should be going to the element? Thanks in advance.

unplugged from the element I get roughly 24.

one plugged in, I get roughly 24, as soon as I make contact to the element with the unplugged one, it goes to 0.

I checked ohms just now, while it is sitting there mounted, and I get 11.6 (old one is 11.4)

I have the cabelas edition MES40. stopped heating. changed out the element today but still doesn't heat. anyone know what the incoming voltage at the female end terminal should be going to the element? Thanks in advance.

unplugged from the element I get roughly 24.

one plugged in, I get roughly 24, as soon as I make contact to the element with the unplugged one, it goes to 0.

I checked ohms just now, while it is sitting there mounted, and I get 11.6 (old one is 11.4)

Hi there and welcome!

I think your issue may not be with the heating element.
The electrical connectors that the MES uses are trash and corrode away and fail way more easily than they should.
Now that you have the heating element basically ruled out the next likely failure point for your issue is the safety rollout limit switch. Here is an image I took off the internet of an MES with the back pulled off. The wiring at the bottom center portion of the image is the heating element
The wiring at the upper right hand corner of the picture is the safety rollout limit switch (it may be further left or in the center on your model if it is not in the same location).

If your MES has a panel for it then remove the panel and check that the connectors are not corroded or burnt up going to that switch. If they are then you have likely found your problem.
If your MES does NOT have a panel for that section well you will need to remove the back OR carefully cut a panel to get to it. I have removed the back and then cut panels in mine to ensure I didn't blindly cut into any wires which can happen.
66c681b6_1639f5d8_vbattach24138.jpg

Those safety rollout limit switches can be a little delicate. If you bend or wiggle the tabs on it at all then I will be you money it melts down on you in the not to distant future.
You can buy these EXACT replacements here:
I would recommend you get these EXACT ones and yes a 5 pack is good to have since they are a little delicate and you now have replacements to keep your MES going if it ever melts down.

Here are some high temp stainless steel connectors that are an exact fit for the MES wiring, heating element tabs, and safety limit switch tabs. I recommend you use this on the heating element and the safety rollout limit switch as the connectors MES uses fail very easily and are likely your issue.

Get to that safety rollout limit switch area and check those connectors and get back to us with what you find :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky