MES30/Window

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dooch

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 3, 2013
Leamington, Ontario, Canada
First butt today in my new MES, salmon yesterday was fantastic. No mods yet, but gonna try it as is. Will post pics when done and give results.
20180209_140419.jpg

Nice and congratulations on the new smoker. I'm a believer in learning how to use and understand your smoker before modding it. Some mods you'll find aren't needed. Similar to mathematics you should understand the fundamentals of +-* and /, before using a calculator.

Chris

Congrats!

When you decide to add to it be sure to get a good dual probe (or more) wireless thermometer. I like the ThermoPro Tp20.
Also I can't wait and see your response once you graduate to adding the A-Maze-N Pellet Smoker (AMNPS) so you have set and forget smoke for 9-12+ hours :)

Tallbm
Are you saying you can use that A-maze-N try in the MES30? I just got mine and have done 2 things in it. Haven’t had much success yet but hope to get better?

I have a mes 30, that's about all I use is the amnps tray, I do use the mailbox mod though, it was hit or miss for me using it on the inside of smoker.

Tallbm
Are you saying you can use that A-maze-N try in the MES30? I just got mine and have done 2 things in it. Haven’t had much success yet but hope to get better?

Hi there and welcome!
I believe that with the MES30 you would need to build a simple Mailbox Modification to use the A-Maze-N (AMNPS) tray. I don't think the 30 inch MES works well with the AMNPS tray. The AMNPS Tube seems to work well in the MES30's but I think the tube only runs for like 3 hours max where the tray will do 12 hours.

Here is a picture of my mailbox mod and another I found on the site:
Mine, in the 1st pic you can see my AMNPS tray lit getting ready to go in my mailbox mod:

Others:

Where would it sit to get enough heat to make what ever you put in it to burn?
if your talking about putting the amnps inside smoker most people put it on the bars on the left side bottom, and pull the chip loader out some to let air in to help it burn better

Hi Ryan,
I've never had trouble with my AMNPS (Tray) in either my MES 30 Gen #1, or my MES 40 Gen #1, or my MES 40 Gen # 2.5. The Gen #1 units work best on the Support rods to the left of the Chip Burner Assembly. The Gen #2.5 works best on the right end of the bottom rack, just above the Chip Dumper, which can be pulled out a couple inches & rotated 180°, to get better air flow to the AMNPS. I've never needed a Mailbox in 8 years.
Mine works Great inside all of my MES units, but I am at a low Altitude @ about 300' ASL. If you're at a High Altitude, a Tube would work better, and if all else fails a Mailbox should help.

Bear

Reactions: Mhmoore101
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky