MES Mailbox Mod! for use with AMNPS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chrisblunck

Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
North Bonneville Washington
I was having difficulty on hot smokes due to the proximity of my AMNPS to the burner, the pellets would burn up prematurely after only 4-5 hours.  When doing cold smokes, I was getting to much temp rise using pellets which is not a good thing while cold smoking salmon.  So I came up with a solution I call the Mail Box mod.

Since doing this MOD, my burn time has Tripled on Hot smokes.  I am now getting over 14 hours of  TBS smoke from a single tray of pellets.  When doing Cold smokes I get absolutely no temp rise, since my smoke source is now separate from my smoke chamber.  Total cost was just over $20.00 at my local Home Depot.

Last edited:
Reactions: bgolden49
Nice looking mailbox!  We haven't had problems with the pellets burning up too fast in our MES but that looks like a mod I wouldn't mind adding to ours.  Thanks for the idea!

That's cool! Pops did pretty much the same thing to his big smoke house a couple of months ago to get to use the AMNPS...JJ

This may create a whole new industry for mail box manufacturers. The way the USPS is going we may not need them much longer 
biggrin.gif

Chris, morning.... I tried your mod on my MES..... WOW.....  This mod works so good... No heat build up in the smoker.....  Perfect...  

Dave

How hot does the mail box get ? Underneath?

I'm working on the same concept. However, I bought the flat style box. AMNPS fits with little space around it. I thought this would improve the smoke drafting. Hope to finish it this weekend.

I build my mailbox smoker earlier tonight. I used a silicone rubber sealant around the outside of the duct....as long as a season the box before using to smoke, I would think it would be OK....I don't want a funny smell/taste....any thoughts?

Seasoning the mailbox can't hurt..... Could help....  I ran mine without seasoning so I have no baseline to give a good answer...    Dave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky