• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

MES Mailbox Mod! for use with AMNPS

chrisblunck

Joined Sep 17, 2012
I was having difficulty on hot smokes due to the proximity of my AMNPS to the burner, the pellets would burn up prematurely after only 4-5 hours.  When doing cold smokes, I was getting to much temp rise using pellets which is not a good thing while cold smoking salmon.  So I came up with a solution I call the Mail Box mod.

Since doing this MOD, my burn time has Tripled on Hot smokes.  I am now getting over 14 hours of  TBS smoke from a single tray of pellets.  When doing Cold smokes I get absolutely no temp rise, since my smoke source is now separate from my smoke chamber.  Total cost was just over $20.00 at my local Home Depot.

Last edited:

tjohnson

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Insider
Joined Dec 29, 2009
The Mail Box is a popular accessory these days

Cool!

tatonka3a2

Meat Mopper
Joined Jul 31, 2007
Nice looking mailbox!  We haven't had problems with the pellets burning up too fast in our MES but that looks like a mod I wouldn't mind adding to ours.  Thanks for the idea!

markk

Smoke Blower
Joined Aug 17, 2010
I like the idea. One question, do you have any problems starving the AMNPS for combustion air?

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
That's cool! Pops did pretty much the same thing to his big smoke house a couple of months ago to get to use the AMNPS...JJ

chrisblunck

Joined Sep 17, 2012
The mailbox has plenty of holes in the floor of the box used for mounting purposes. These holes seem to provide ample intake air for the smoke generator (AMNPS).

scarbelly

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 26, 2009
This may create a whole new industry for mail box manufacturers. The way the USPS is going we may not need them much longer 

daveomak

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
Chris, morning.... I tried your mod on my MES..... WOW.....  This mod works so good... No heat build up in the smoker.....  Perfect...  

Dave

da maxx

Fire Starter
Joined Mar 4, 2012
How hot does the mail box get ? Underneath?

I'm working on the same concept. However, I bought the flat style box. AMNPS fits with little space around it. I thought this would improve the smoke drafting. Hope to finish it this weekend.

chrisblunck

Joined Sep 17, 2012
I can hold rest my hand on top of the mail box with out burning myself!  Underneath, I have no idea.

toby bryant

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Nov 19, 2011
Chris, this looks awesome. I ordered the AMNPS Thursday night, looks like I will be making a trip to Lowes when it arrives.

toby bryant

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Nov 19, 2011
The AMNPS arrived today, thanks Todd for fast shipping. So, I had to try the mailbox mod.

Lit up the AMNPS with PMC.

Here is the result. Time to get the cheese in the MES!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

flareman

Fire Starter
Joined Jan 10, 2013
I build my mailbox smoker earlier tonight. I used a silicone rubber sealant around the outside of the duct....as long as a season the box before using to smoke, I would think it would be OK....I don't want a funny smell/taste....any thoughts?

daveomak

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
Seasoning the mailbox can't hurt..... Could help....  I ran mine without seasoning so I have no baseline to give a good answer...    Dave

Hot Threads

Top Bottom