MES JMSS (Lowes) vs MES 20078715 (Amazon)?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
A little more info on soaking chips

The wood has to reach 500-600F before it starts to emit sweet wood smoke. The water causes it to smolder, and the white smoke can be bitter.

The only reason to soak wood is to slow the burn, so a pack of wood chips last longer. Kind of a fuse.

But you (and the smoke) is MUCH better off if you simply add dry wood chips now and then.

Gary

I'm sure before long you'll be getting an AMNPS anyway.

Bear
I've taken a look at the AMNPS.  Interesting!   I see you have to light the pellets before placing the unit in the MES.  Does the MES still adjust the heating element to keep the temp and burn rate at the selected setting?  Does it get placed in place of the wood chip pan?

I've taken a look at the AMNPS.  Interesting!   I see you have to light the pellets before placing the unit in the MES.  Does the MES still adjust the heating element to keep the temp and burn rate at the selected setting?  Does it get placed in place of the wood chip pan?
The MES & the AMNPS don';t have anything to do with each other. 

That's why they work so good together---The MES takes care of the Heat, and the AMNPS does the Smoke.

The MES Chip burner stays where it is, and the AMNPS goes where it works best (Depends on which model of MES).

Bear

I'm a stick burner with an RF   I have an AMNPS  for my cold smoking I even use mine on my grill sometimes, That thing is Great

Gary

That's why they work so good together---The MES takes care of the Heat, and the AMNPS does the Smoke.

The MES Chip burner stays where it is, and the AMNPS goes where it works best (Depends on which model of MES).

Bear
How is the temperature regulated if the AMNPS is not heated by the MES?

Also realized that the ribs go in when the smoker is cold, since the timer starts counting down immediately, right?  Do you also put wood chips in immediately (if not using an AMNPS)?  How much at a time?

Just run your timer up a couple extra hours and pay attention to your racks. I always, always preheat my smoker and I get the smoke rolling as soon as I turn it on. That gives the chips time to settle down to TBS before you put meat in the smoke.

Last edited:

Just run your timer up a couple extra hours and pay attention to your racks. I always, always preheat my smoker and I get the smoke rolling as soon as I turn it on. That gives the chips time to settle down to TBS before you put meat in the smoke.
yeahthat.gif

I actually preheat mine about 45 minutes to an hour early, but I always use the AMNPS.

Also, since I don't set my Mavericks to give me any alarms, the first thing I do when I start my MES is set my control to 20 hours, so it won't shut off on me, and so I can keep track of time in my notes that I use for my Step by Steps.

BTW: SOT---Thanks for covering those questions. I'm getting old & slow these days.

Bear

Tried the 3-2-1 with St. Louis ribs today at 230deg.  Very tasty, but a bit dry.  Used a spray bottle of apple juice every hour for the first 3, and coated them with bbq sauce for the last 1.  Wrapped them tightly with apple juice for the middle 2.  Should I decrease the intial or final time?  Lower temp?

yeahthat.gif

I actually preheat mine about 45 minutes to an hour early, but I always use the AMNPS.

Also, since I don't set my Mavericks to give me any alarms, the first thing I do when I start my MES is set my control to 20 hours, so it won't shut off on me, and so I can keep track of time in my notes that I use for my Step by Steps.

BTW: SOT---Thanks for covering those questions. I'm getting old & slow these days.

Bear
No sweat Bear. Slow, and I mean slow, day behind the radio console today means plenty of time to browse the forums.

I also preheat mine these days for around 45min, and put in the AMPS right around the time I start it up, so I can be sure that it's burning properly.  Did another chicken thighs smoke this weekend.  AMPS worked great.  Yeah baby.

I also preheat mine these days for around 45min, and put in the AMPS right around the time I start it up, so I can be sure that it's burning properly.  Did another chicken thighs smoke this weekend.  AMPS worked great.  Yeah baby.
Thanks.  Do you use Bear's chicken thigh recipe with pans?

Thanks.  Do you use Bear's chicken thigh recipe with pans?
My wife made them!  Thighs with her special rub, straight onto grids, two racks, cooked at 250F for ~3 hours I think.  Threw in some ABTs.  FANTASTIC! 

Bear
Ready for Season 2 and I think I'm going to get the AMNPS.

Where do you place it in a MES1.0?  Have you got a picture, Bear?

Also, what pellets do you use and where do you get them?

Thanks and happy smoking!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky