MES Generation Number Recognition Pictures & Info (Digital Units)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
No RF remote on this one, or at least if there is then mine wasn't in the box. It's Bluetooth controlled like the 2.5.

OK--Sorry!!
Then it's only equal to the other best one---The #2.5 that I have.

I've been lax on new ones for the last couple years, since my Open-heart & Stroke.

Bear

OK--Sorry!!
Then it's only equal to the other best one---The #2.5 that I have.

I've been lax on new ones for the last couple years, since my Open-heart & Stroke.

Bear

I'll find out this weekend when I get a chance to put it through its paces. From reading everything here though and just general smoker knowledge I can't see any reason why it wouldn't be great.

I'll find out this weekend when I get a chance to put it through its paces. From reading everything here though and just general smoker knowledge I can't see any reason why it wouldn't be great.

Yeah, Since it's equal to the Gen #2.5, the only problems they can have are the possibility of electronic problems, but they're usually found out in the first try or so. The Old "Lemon" problem.

So when you break it in, set it for below 275° the first time, maybe 250°, and keep an eye on it to make sure it shuts off at 250° a few cycles. Then you should be OK to reset it at 275°. Then just follow the break-in like it says in the book.

If nothing goes Nuts, you got one of the large percentage of Good ones.
Best of Luck to you.

If there is a problem, they're usually real good about getting it right.

Bear

Yeah, Since it's equal to the Gen #2.5, the only problems they can have are the possibility of electronic problems, but they're usually found out in the first try or so. The Old "Lemon" problem.

So when you break it in, set it for below 275° the first time, maybe 250°, and keep an eye on it to make sure it shuts off at 250° a few cycles. Then you should be OK to reset it at 275°. Then just follow the break-in like it says in the book.

If nothing goes Nuts, you got one of the large percentage of Good ones.
Best of Luck to you.

If there is a problem, they're usually real good about getting it right.

Bear

I've seen other review sites that note that Masterbuilt upgraded the wiring and fixed most of the Gen 2.5's electrical and bluetooth issues with the 340G. Hopefully that's true. I know they've done a ton of work on the app recently.

Appreciate the break in tips. I'll probably fire it up tonight to test it out.

I've seen other review sites that note that Masterbuilt upgraded the wiring and fixed most of the Gen 2.5's electrical and bluetooth issues with the 340G. Hopefully that's true. I know they've done a ton of work on the app recently.

Appreciate the break in tips. I'll probably fire it up tonight to test it out.

OK--Great !
The reason I say start with 250° and keep an eye on it, is because some of the new ones have a bad controller or a bad limit switch, and if you watch it you can save it from burning up, because of getting too hot (over 325° or so).
If you catch it, you can get it fixed without any damage. It would still be a PITA, but not as bad if you catch it.

Hope you're right about their fixes.

Bear

Reactions: barefooter
Bear, Now that my old MES 30 is direct wired through my Auber I assume it still draws a max of 800 watts. My new MES-30 also has an 800 watt element. I should be able to run both on a 120V 15 amp circuit.
Your thought?

Saw this on a local craigslistfor $25. Looks like a gen-1. Supposedly used to work great, but now trips a breaker every time it's running. Anyone familiar? Worth fixing or upgrading?
00G0G_eH6eXRXZX4q_600x450.jpg
00c0c_bzaCFafrkHE_600x450.jpg

Attachments

• 00G0G_eH6eXRXZX4q_600x450.jpg
    00G0G_eH6eXRXZX4q_600x450.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 00c0c_bzaCFafrkHE_600x450.jpg
    00c0c_bzaCFafrkHE_600x450.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 23
Bear, Now that my old MES 30 is direct wired through my Auber I assume it still draws a max of 800 watts. My new MES-30 also has an 800 watt element. I should be able to run both on a 120V 15 amp circuit.
Your thought?

I know ZERO about electric & electronics.
There are many guys who can answer that, but My GOTO on that is tallbm tallbm .
Check with him.

Bear

Reactions: patinlouisiana
Saw this on a local craigslistfor $25. Looks like a gen-1. Supposedly used to work great, but now trips a breaker every time it's running. Anyone familiar? Worth fixing or upgrading?

I would say Yes!!
Another one should be directed to tallbm tallbm .

Bear

Reactions: S-met
I was pondering that myself. May be a bad breaker and the MES is fine.
Unplug smoker and access the element in the back bottom access and disconnect the element lugs. Get an Ohm meter and touch one spade on the element and one on the outside body. If you have continuity then the element is shorting. The Mes 40 element is 12 ohms leg to leg and the 30 is 18 ohms. Disconnect the element lugs and then plug in and turn on the smoker to start heating. if the breaker doesn't trip its the element.

Reactions: PAS
Your thought?

Two 800 watt MES units (1600 watt total) on the same outlet would be pulling approximately 13.3 Amps.
In theory that would work provided the following:
  1. you have nothing else pulling electricity from that circuit/breaker to trip the breaker
  2. your breaker isn't weak and you can pull 13.3 Amps without tripping the breaker. My understanding is that breakers can weaken over time so you may not have the full range of amperage over a breaker
  3. you are actually pulling under the limit and there are no fluctuations or other funny business happening. You never know what some electrical items are doing or how they may actually behaving so there is often cushion given to ensure you won't interruptions in your operation
All you can do is give it a try and see. I hope this info helps :)

Reactions: patinlouisiana
View attachment 403907 View attachment 403908

I would grab it as well!

Masterbuilt customer service is pretty good about giving parts away even if not under warranty and I think a replacement element is not very expensive.

What I would PERSONALLY do is test the element like dr k suggests with a multimeter (they cost like $7-10 for an inexpensive one that will do the job) .

If/when that pans out I would simply do a very very very simple rewire on the MES and buy an Auber PID controller and run the MES with the PID controller to have a smoker that is WAY better than that MES when it was brand new!
The Auber PID controller does cost a little money ($150) BUT you are getting the MES for almost nothing so the money on the Auber PID controller evens things out and again for a better smoker than what you could have bought brand new and you will be able to keep this smoker going through anything short of a car wreck!

Here is a link to a very detailed write up on rewiring the MES to work with a PID Controller: https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/mes-rewire-simple-guide-no-back-removal-needed.267069/

Here is a link to the Auber PID that would sure enough work: https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=110

There are guys who have zero electrical knowledge but plenty of common sense that have rewired their MES and used a PID controller and love the smoker they now have.

I hope this info helps :)

Bearcarver Bearcarver a couple questions: I read your post and it appears you believe the right side of the bottom rack to be the best place for the A-Maze-n tray in the Gen 2.5. Do you still agree with this? I have one arriving tomorrow. Also, what do you think about cleaning your MES especially if there is creosote buildup?

Bearcarver Bearcarver a couple questions: I read your post and it appears you believe the right side of the bottom rack to be the best place for the A-Maze-n tray in the Gen 2.5. Do you still agree with this? I have one arriving tomorrow. Also, what do you think about cleaning your MES especially if there is creosote buildup?

Yes, I still believe the right end of the bottom rack is the best place for the AMNPS in the Gen #2.5. Reasons being the top vent is on the left side, so the heat & smoke won't go directly from the bottom to the top & out, without first traveling through the rest of the Smoker, and the chip dumper is directly below that spot, so you can pull the dumper out a few inches to allow more air flow, and push it back in for less air flow to the AMNPS.
Contrast this to the Gen #1, which "if left alone" will have the heat go directly from the Heating Element on the right side, directly up the right side of the smoker, and out the top vent, which is also on the right side.

As for cleaning: The only things I do is clean my Smoking racks before putting any meat directly on them. I also clean & recover (Foil) my Smoker floor & my Water Pan. All I do with the ceiling & walls is remove anything that is loose & could possibly fall on my food. My Smoker walls & ceiling are black, but it doesn't seem to be getting any thicker, since it got there. I couldn't tell you what percentage is creosote & what percentage is the good seasonings that makes Smoker able to produce the Great Smoked Meat.

Bear

Reactions: Central PA Cowboy
I have a work program that would allow me to purchase with points either a MB20072618 or a MB20073119 (MES 130G)
Z5312900.jpg
View attachment 406142 . I can't find much about the MB20073119, but it looks like a hybrid. Is one better than the other beside size wise? The MB20073119 is about 8 inches short and 4 inches narrower.

Can anybody shed light on this for me?

Attachments

• k.jpg
    k.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 21
I have a work program that would allow me to purchase with points either a MB20072618 or a MB20073119 (MES 130G)View attachment 406141 View attachment 406142 . I can't find much about the MB20073119, but it looks like a hybrid. Is one better than the other beside size wise? The MB20073119 is about 8 inches short and 4 inches narrower.

Can anybody shed light on this for me?
Hi there and welcome!

They are basically the same unit.
The MB20072618 is the 40" (larger) unit.
The MB20073119 is the 30" (smaller) unit.

I would go with the larger 40" unit MB20072618. It is better to have more space and to be able to do a whole brisket or whole rack of ribs if you like with the bigger unit. I hope this info helps :)

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky