MES Generation Number Recognition Pictures & Info (Digital Units)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
How bad is MES 40 gen2 ? I just bought one for $60 on craigslist! I haven't used it yet, I just turned on to see if it would get to 275*. So does removing the drip and water pan make a difference? Any solution to the backdraft vent problem? 20201025_112216.jpg 20201025_112247.jpg

Reactions: dr k
I would have bought it . I think for 60 bucks you did great . Clean it up and see how it runs .
You'll get an answer to your question from some one that has used one .
Give it a test run while you wait .

I just picked a gen 1 30 over the summer in Aug. For free on FB marketplace. The thermal over temp snap disk had a disintegrated lug so the wire was sticking up in the air. I just stripped and wire nutted them together after cutting an acess in the back panel and all is good with a therm that has an alarm range if temps are out of hand. I paired my rf remote to the controller and have been using it for small quicker smokes with wood chunks on the stripped down exposed element in the chip tray. Never will I buy a new Mes. If the controller fails, lots of help with a PID fix like I have for my Mes 40. The amazing thing about the Mes 30 stock controller is that it works very well vs my 40 that never got to 275 especially with food.

Reactions: chopsaw
An alum disposable pan on the bottom rack will be better than that slant drip tray that blocks heat on the left and right side of the smoker, making heat only rise against the back wall and door. If you have an alum baking sheet 11x15 from the dollar tree you can slide it left and right on the bottom rack a fulll/half rung to even temps left to right.

Thanks Kurt! I found the search button and have been reading on the issues around this generation model. I bought it for a PID mod, but want to see how it works before I decide to do that or not.

How bad is MES 40 gen2 ? I just bought one for $60 on craigslist! I haven't used it yet, I just turned on to see if it would get to 275*. So does removing the drip and water pan make a difference? Any solution to the backdraft vent problem?View attachment 468148 View attachment 468147

I have seen a couple guys claim they do good with the Gen #2, but I have no use for it. I have a Brand new one in my garage, but I don't use it. They gave it to me to test & report, and it sucked. Once I got it running, the air flow was really bad. That stupid slanted drip plate trapped the heat under it & forced it to stay on the right side. It's a real Train-Wreck, in my opinion.

If I was going to use it, I would Scrap the Slanted Drip Plate & the small hanging water pan. Then I'd put the bottom rack in & put a regular oval water pan in the center of that rack. Then I would put another top vent in the top left back corner, just like the Gen #2.5 is. Then I would treat it exactly like I use my Gen #2.5 MES 40.

Bear

If I was going to use it, I would Scrap the Slanted Drip Plate & the small hanging water pan. Then I'd put the bottom rack in & put a regular oval water pan in the center of that rack. Then I would put another top vent in the top left back corner, just like the Gen #2.5 is. Then I would treat it exactly like I use my Gen #2.5 MES 40.
I never used one , but that is my thought exactly . Bore a new top vent , change the drip plate and add a pid . You'd have an awesome smoker for under 250 bucks .

Wow, I'm so excited to see this thread. Yesterday I just ordered the MES 40 Gen 2.5+ from Masterbuilt. It was only $179 + shipping. Unfortunately when I look today it seems it's sold out.

However, they do have the newer versions on sale:

Anyway, I am so happy to find out that the version I bought is the good one.

I have had an MES 30 Gen 1 for about 5 years now, and I've loved it, until the LEDs started to burn out. I almost bought a new control unit, but after finding SMF and lurking here for a few weeks I decided to get the Auber WiFi PID controller and now I'm deep into researching all the great MES mods.

I just did a Mailbox Mod last week with the AMNPS and am pretty pleased with that, although I want to get more smoke flavor so I will be tinkering with this setup.

Anyhow, I wanted to thank the guys here like Bearcarver, dr k, daveomak, tallbm, SonnyE, johnmeyer, and anyone I may have missed for such great advice on modifying these MES boxes.

Reactions: MJB05615 and dr k
Wow, I'm so excited to see this thread. Yesterday I just ordered the MES 40 Gen 2.5+ from Masterbuilt. It was only $179 + shipping. Unfortunately when I look today it seems it's sold out.

However, they do have the newer versions on sale:

Anyway, I am so happy to find out that the version I bought is the good one.

I have had an MES 30 Gen 1 for about 5 years now, and I've loved it, until the LEDs started to burn out. I almost bought a new control unit, but after finding SMF and lurking here for a few weeks I decided to get the Auber WiFi PID controller and now I'm deep into researching all the great MES mods.

I just did a Mailbox Mod last week with the AMNPS and am pretty pleased with that, although I want to get more smoke flavor so I will be tinkering with this setup.

Anyhow, I wanted to thank the guys here like Bearcarver, dr k, daveomak, tallbm, SonnyE, johnmeyer, and anyone I may have missed for such great advice on modifying these MES boxes.
I found a free Gen 1 30 in great condition on FB Marketplace. Wouldn't heat but I could hear the relay on the bottom pcb board click closed and element lugs were good so I figured the round over temp switch was the problem. No access to it on the back of the smoker so used a dremel cut off wheel to access it. The thermal sensor lugs were cooroded and one disintegrated so I stripped the wires and bypassed the sensor with a wire nut. Plugged it in and started heating. Paired my rf remote to the Mes 30 controller (spare parts) and used it the second half of the summer for small smokes. Removed all the metal chip housing and set the chip pan on the element to burn chunks. Used the Gen 1 40 and PID on everything else. My therm has a range alarm for the pit so that's my safety alert if it gets too high or low. Since you have the PID and mailbox mod and they are out of your smoker you may find one on Marketplace nearby. Unless yours is on it's way and now sold out. I did make a power cord with high heat lugs and stripped the ground wire to wrap around one of the element access screws to ground the chassis for a direct connect to the element for testing the element for trouble shooting if your tripping a gfci or if the thermal switch fails during a smoke to finish in the smoker when you have a PID. I used it to test the element right off the bat and it was heating so I just had to go to the thermal switch next and found the issue. No more brand new Mes for me. People are having a hell of a time with warranty claims with no phone help or email replies. The MB page on FB and messenging is the best and only option to reach MB.

Last edited:
Since you have the PID and mailbox mod and they are out of your smoker you may find one on Marketplace nearby. Unless yours is on it's way and now sold out.

Hey dr k,

Sorry my post was a little confusing. I was able to order the MES 40 smoker. I wanted to share the deal with everyone on the forums, but was dissapointed it was already sold out. So I will now have two smokers, my Gen 1 MES 30 and my Gen 2.5+? MES 40.

My MES 30 now has the Auber and Mailbox mod. I think I might use that one for traveling with my camper trailer. And I think I'll use the MES 40 at home. I'm excited to try out this bigger MES 40 box and smoke a whole brisket, rather than cutting it in half. Also might try the popcorn tin version of the mailbox mod for that one. I think I'll keep the Masterbuilt controller on it until it poops out too.

Hey dr k,

Sorry my post was a little confusing. I was able to order the MES 40 smoker. I wanted to share the deal with everyone on the forums, but was dissapointed it was already sold out. So I will now have two smokers, my Gen 1 MES 30 and my Gen 2.5+? MES 40.

My MES 30 now has the Auber and Mailbox mod. I think I might use that one for traveling with my camper trailer. And I think I'll use the MES 40 at home. I'm excited to try out this bigger MES 40 box and smoke a whole brisket, rather than cutting it in half. Also might try the popcorn tin version of the mailbox mod for that one. I think I'll keep the Masterbuilt controller on it until it poops out too.

Glad to hear you got another Good MES for your stable.
If you want more Smoke flavor from an AMNPS, You could try a lower Temp for a longer time, and Go with Hickory. I find Hickory to give more smoke flavor & I use it about 90% of the time.

Bear

Reactions: joenationwide
An alum disposable pan on the bottom rack will be better than that slant drip tray that blocks heat on the left and right side of the smoker, making heat only rise against the back wall and door. If you have an alum baking sheet 11x15 from the dollar tree you can slide it left and right on the bottom rack a fulll/half rung to even temps left to right.
I told my husband about this, but he is concerned about the food dripping on that metal shielid that covers the heating element

I told my husband about this, but he is concerned about the food dripping on that metal shielid that covers the heating element

Check the Pic below:
My water pan is covered with foil, so it's easy to clean every now & then.
That Pan will catch drips, keeping them from landing on the shield that is designed to protect the element.

IMG_1658.jpeg

People cover the top of the chip housing roof with alum foil so tear it off when build up from burnt on drips gets heavy and replace with new foil. Most co er every flat surface that can be dripped on for easy clean up to eliminate vaporizing grease smoke.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bearcarver
I have what I would have to assume is a MES 30 Gen 2.5 based on your pictures. It has the controller on the top center with the little shade cover over it and the drip pan that pulls out from the bottom center on the front of the unit. I love this thing compared to the newer "Pro 30" unit that I bought to replace it as it got left outside all winter and rusted out and full of mold. I regret buying this newer unit and need to try and find a way to properly clean and salvage my old one. It's just crazy to me how much better of a product older stuff seems to be and how much worse and cheaper the new stuff is.

I have what I would have to assume is a MES 30 Gen 2.5 based on your pictures. It has the controller on the top center with the little shade cover over it and the drip pan that pulls out from the bottom center on the front of the unit. I love this thing compared to the newer "Pro 30" unit that I bought to replace it as it got left outside all winter and rusted out and full of mold. I regret buying this newer unit and need to try and find a way to properly clean and salvage my old one. It's just crazy to me how much better of a product older stuff seems to be and how much worse and cheaper the new stuff is.

I started with a Gen #1 MES 30 back in 2009, and then a Gen #1, MES 40 a year later. I loved that Gen #1, but when I got the Gen #2.5, about 10 years later, I was in heaven. The Newer one was much better than the old Gen #1 was. The old one had the top vent in the wrong side (right), so I had to use a Heat deflector for many years. They both work fine now, but the newer one was designed better.

Check the PMs from Chopsaw for the Mold remover.
Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky