MES Generation Number Recognition Pictures & Info (Digital Units)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
It's about the element cycling to keep your smoker temp. Element on can make too much smoke and you can't see your food through the window and element off maybe no smoke and everything in between vs. a consistent burn of pellets of 3.5-4 hours per row maintenance free. I've never use chips in both my Mes' from the months of learning here before buying.

Really wanted to give the Hopper on the 240G a try before buying the AMNPS .
So whats the Deal with the Hopper on the MES 240G itself ?
1) Does it not sit close enough to the element to make good Smoke ?
2) Do the wood chips burn up to fast making me have to add and re-add chips ever hour/half hour.

AP514

The differences:
Built in chip burner; Put chips in, and wait for smoke start.
Then Light Smoke to Medium, to Heavy, to Too Heavy, back to Heavy, to Medium, to Light, to No Smoke.
Put more chips in & start the cycle over again.
Plus when your Smoker reaches your setting the element shuts off, and chips don't burn.

AMNPS; Fill Tray properly, Light properly, Put in Best place for your Model.
Perfectly Consistent Smoke for up to 11 hours without touching it, or fill only one row for each 3 to 4 hours.
If you fill it before you start, you can separate the burning ones from the non-burning ones any time you want to stop adding smoke.

Bear

Reactions: AP514
+1 Can't put it any better than @bear or dr k did. Shortly after I got my MES30 I purchased an ANMPS due to the many recommendations from this site, and have never looked back - nice steady even smoke. Now my wife actually enjoys what I smoke instead of pretending that she likes it!!:D I think.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Thanks guys.ordering the AMNPS now..

anyone have a link to where I can get %100 pellets(Amaz'n)

Last edited:
Thanks guys.ordering the AMNPS now..

anyone have a link to where I can get %100 pellets(Amaz'n)

I got this in an Email----It should help:

Stock Up On Pellets Sale!!
Save 20% off your purchase of all pellets and sawdust during the month of September.
Sale ends on September 30, 2018.

Hurry, this sale is only valid for a limited time.

Please use COUPON CODE: SEPTEMBER2018

Cannot be combined with other coupons and cannot be used on prior purchases or clearance.

To order, please click here:
http://www.amazenproducts.com

Reactions: AP514
I have the gen 2.5 inside but the gen 1 outside. Where is the best place to put the tray and should i put it in a foil pan?

Save 20% off your purchase of all pellets and sawdust during the month of September.

Cannot be combined with other coupons and cannot be used on prior purchases or clearance.

I have the gen 2.5 inside but the gen 1 outside. Where is the best place to put the tray and should i put it in a foil pan?

That would mean your inside is the same as my Gen #2.5, and I have found the best place to be ----Put the bottom rack in & put the AMNPS on the far right end of that rack. Then you can pull the Dumper out 2" or 3" for more air flow to your AMNPS (and rotate it 180°), & push it in for less air flow.

I wouldn't put it in a foil pan---It cuts down the needed air flow.

Bear

Push it to the right even though i have a gen 1 outside so the vent is to the right not the left?

That would mean your inside is the same as my Gen #2.5, and I have found the best place to be ----Put the bottom rack in & put the AMNPS on the far right end of that rack. Then you can pull the Dumper out 2" or 3" for more air flow to your AMNPS (and rotate it 180°), & push it in for less air flow.

I wouldn't put it in a foil pan---It cuts down the needed air flow.

Bear

Push it to the right even though i have a gen 1 outside so the vent is to the right not the left?

Yes---You need it there for the air flow to the AMNPS.
Once you get yours going, do a check with it empty.
Put two accurate Temp probes on the second rack---One Left & one right.
Then record the readings from both for awhile to see how balanced the heat is from right to left.
If the right is much hotter than the left, get ahold of me & I'll tell you options of what you can do. Send me a PM.
However it's still best to put the AMNPS on the bottom rack on the right, just above the chip dumper hole.

Bear

Thanks for the info....I am really like'n this community.

New here and been researching the past week like crazy trying to pick out my first smoker. Still on the edge of propane vs. electric, but leaning more toward electric. After having been thoroughly confused with all the generations and hybrids of the these MES units I think I've got them mostly down now. I noticed the new 340G model with the trapezoid shaped window isn't in the list, is that assumed to be all around good like the Gen 2.5? I just missed it being on a Black Friday sale for $229.99 at Sam's over the weekend which would have been a steal.

Also wasn't sure what this model would be considered. Almost looks like a hybrid of a Gen 2 and 2.5? Seems like the top left vent like the 2.5 instead of on the side, but the internals appear to be the "bad ones" from the Gen 2, is that right or am I misinterpreting what's good vs bad?

Also just wanted to confirm this is one of the "second best" units described as a hybrid between a Gen 1 and a 2.5, with the only downfall being the vent on the top right instead of the top left?

Really wish they hadn't mixed so many of these models around and had the difference in the part numbers (The MBxxxxxx numbers) vs the model numbers like 140S, 340G etc.

Thanks!

New here and been researching the past week like crazy trying to pick out my first smoker. Still on the edge of propane vs. electric, but leaning more toward electric. After having been thoroughly confused with all the generations and hybrids of the these MES units I think I've got them mostly down now. I noticed the new 340G model with the trapezoid shaped window isn't in the list, is that assumed to be all around good like the Gen 2.5? I just missed it being on a Black Friday sale for $229.99 at Sam's over the weekend which would have been a steal.

Also wasn't sure what this model would be considered. Almost looks like a hybrid of a Gen 2 and 2.5? Seems like the top left vent like the 2.5 instead of on the side, but the internals appear to be the "bad ones" from the Gen 2, is that right or am I misinterpreting what's good vs bad?

Also just wanted to confirm this is one of the "second best" units described as a hybrid between a Gen 1 and a 2.5, with the only downfall being the vent on the top right instead of the top left?

Really wish they hadn't mixed so many of these models around and had the difference in the part numbers (The MBxxxxxx numbers) vs the model numbers like 140S, 340G etc.

Thanks!

Your first one @ $272 is pure Gen #2. I'd stay away.

Your second one @ $250 is a Hybrid with the Gen #1 exterior and the Gen #2.5 inside. Since that one has all the good parts of the Gen #2.5, and the RF remote control of the Gen #1, if it wasn't for the top vent being on the wrong side, it could be even better than the Gen #2.5.

Moving that Vent from right to left was one of the things I told them to do, after I tested their Gen #2. They took my advice when they designed the Gen #2.5, but they neglected to do that to this Hybrid---Pity, it could have been the Best one!

AS for the 340G (Trapezoid), it's been awhile since I looked close at that one, but I think it's a good one. With a link to some pics of that one I could give a better run-down on it.

Bear

Weird, my own links are just big blank boxes above, didn't seem to want to let me do a regular URL, it insisted on weird media tags for it. Guess it worked for you though.

Thanks for the info, sounds like the Gen 1 hybrid is the best value, doesn't seem like many places sell the 2.5 anymore and the 340G seems pretty expensive everywhere. If I had a Sam's membership I would have jumped all over that $229 Black Friday deal, oh well.

Weird, my own links are just big blank boxes above, didn't seem to want to let me do a regular URL, it insisted on weird media tags for it. Guess it worked for you though.

Thanks for the info, sounds like the Gen 1 hybrid is the best value, doesn't seem like many places sell the 2.5 anymore and the 340G seems pretty expensive everywhere. If I had a Sam's membership I would have jumped all over that $229 Black Friday deal, oh well.

I'll have to check, but last time I saw Sams still sold the #2.5 & a Great sale last week.

Bear

AS for the 340G (Trapezoid), it's been awhile since I looked close at that one, but I think it's a good one. With a link to some pics of that one I could give a better run-down on it.

Bear
Bearcarver Bearcarver

340G.jpg

1126182318.jpg

I just put my Black Friday Special 340G together last night and didn't have time to season it. I'll take some pics tonight and share them here so you can check it out a little closer. I think it's going to be a good one. Near as I can tell it's more or less a Gen 2.5 Bluetooth in a different wrapper. Wish I'd been home to help the itty bitty FedEx lady that had to deliver it to my house. It's a monster of a smoker.

First impressions:
1. It's huge once you get it up on the legs. I'm 6'2" 260 and it's chest high on me and almost as broad as I am.
2. All the access panels are screwed on instead of riveted. I didn't check to see if they were tapped but it should make it easier to work on if needed either way.
3. I'm going to have to rig up something to rest the Cold Smoke Attachment on due to the leg design.

Bearcarver Bearcarver

1126182318.jpg

I just put my Black Friday Special 340G together last night and didn't have time to season it. I'll take some pics tonight and share them here so you can check it out a little closer. I think it's going to be a good one. Near as I can tell it's more or less a Gen 2.5 Bluetooth in a different wrapper. Wish I'd been home to help the itty bitty FedEx lady that had to deliver it to my house. It's a monster of a smoker.

First impressions:
1. It's huge once you get it up on the legs. I'm 6'2" 260 and it's chest high on me and almost as broad as I am.
2. All the access panels are screwed on instead of riveted. I didn't check to see if they were tapped but it should make it easier to work on if needed either way.
3. I'm going to have to rig up something to rest the Cold Smoke Attachment on due to the leg design.

Yup--Thanks SOT,
I did a little research this morning & found out the same things you're saying.
The only thing I'm not sure of is which side the top vent is on.

If I'm not mistaken that 340G is the same interior size as the #2.5.

I think you got a good one there---ENJOY !!

Bear

Yup--Thanks SOT,
I did a little research this morning & found out the same things you're saying.
The only thing I'm not sure of is which side the top vent is on.

If I'm not mistaken that 340G is the same interior size as the #2.5.

I think you got a good one there---ENJOY !!

Bear

Vent is top left back corner as you're looking at it like the Gen 2.5 is.

Vent is top left back corner as you're looking at it like the Gen 2.5 is.

Then that is right up there as the Top Smoker, along with the #2.5.

And if it has the RF remote, which I'm pretty sure it does---Then it is even better than the #2.5.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky