MES Generation Number Recognition Pictures & Info (Digital Units)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
MES Generation Number Recognition Pictures & Info (Digital Units)

I got these Pictures together in the hopes of helping people to be able to tell the various MES Generations apart, when buying or discussing the MES units.
A lot of people ask, “Which is the best one, How can I tell which one is which, etc, etc”.
This Thread should help with the identification of the MES Units.

For my Thoughts & Findings on the various Generations, and which I consider the best, go to:
Masterbuilt Smokers (Bear's Thoughts & Findings)

Hope this helps,

Bear

Note: I sold my MES 30, so I will have to use internet Pics for the MES 30:

This is an Early model of the Gen #1 MES 30 (Note the square corners on the Control Box on top).
The Top Vent is on the back right corner of the Top. The door is hinged on the right side:
k2-_3a1510dd-89e8-4299-8751-b231cbc8481b.v1.jpg

This is the inside of a Gen #1 MES 30. Note the Large Water Pan.
The AMNPS was designed specifically to fit on the support rods to the left of the Chip burner assembly:
k2-_de639bfa-6ccb-47b5-a0a7-183c39ded923.v1.jpg

Here are 2 MES 40 units. The one on the Right is a Gen #1. The one on the Left is a Gen #2:
Note the Window in the Gen #2 is larger than to Window in the Gen #1:
IMG_0096.jpg

This is the top of a Newer MES 40 Gen #1. Notice the rounded corners on the Control Box on top:
The top Vent is on the back right corner of the top:
IMG_0103.jpg

This is the inside of the MES 40 Gen #1.
The Water Pan is nearly full width.
Note the Aluminum plate setting on the right side of the Water Pan. I use that to push heat from the right to the left in the Smoker.
This is needed because the heat comes from the bottom right, & the top vent is in the back right corner of the top.
Without the Heat deflector the heat rises from the heating element, and goes directly to the Top Vent, and out:
IMG_0102.jpg

This is an MES 40 Gen #2. Note the Controls are built into the front of the top of the Smoker:
IMG_0099.jpg

Inside of the MES 40 Gen #2. Note the Slanted Drip Plate, higher on the Right, with a hole on the left end for a small Water Pan.
I removed the small water pan & put a foil pan under the hole. Then I can set my AMNPS over the hole in the Drip Plate:
IMG_0101.jpg

The Top Vent on a Gen #2 MES is on the Left side wall, instead of in the top:
IMG_0097.jpg

Generation #2.5 MES 40. The strap is just to keep it from blowing over in a strong wind.
The Door is the same as the door on the Gen #2:
IMG_0106.jpg

Inside of the MES 40 Gen #2.5. Note the Split level Water Pan (Deeper left side than right side).
Note: I have since found the right side of the bottom rack to be a better place for the Amazing Smoker: (In the Gen #2.5)
IMG_0107.jpg

Top of the MES 40 Gen #2.5. Note the top vent has been moved to the back left corner of the top.
IMG_0104.jpg

Closeup of the Control panel of the MES 40 Gen #2.5. Note the Sun shield that snaps on to reduce sun glare on the panel.
IMG_0105.jpg

Last edited:
I think that will help lots of Folks understand the difference

Great Pics   -----   
icon14.gif

points1.png

Gary

Great info Bear. I guess my glass door 40 is really old! It has the original wedge shaped controller on top. Works like a dream. Wish all my stuff was as reliable. B

I think that will help lots of Folks understand the difference

Great Pics   -----   
icon14.gif

points1.png

Gary
Thank You Gary!!

Just about every day, somebody asks "Which MES is the best, and how do I tell one from the other?"

This Thread & the other one linked above should give those answers.

And Thanks for the Points, Gary!!

Bear

Thank you Bear!

This is something that everyone can use.

Very informative!

Points for sure!

Al
Thank You Al !!

This will make it easier for me & anyone who wants to use it.

Instead of making a new answer every time somebody asks how to tell the Generations apart, we only need to post this link in the answer.

And Thanks for the Points.

Bear

Thanks greatly for all of the information. From what I've read, there is no reason to worry about lava rocks or ceramic briquettes. The Brinkmann smoker was a single-walled rolled steel that experienced a large amount of heat loss on cold days. I'm really looking forward to using a much better smoker. Thanks again.

Nice job Bear

Richie
Thank You Richie!!

Bear
Great info Bear. I guess my glass door 40 is really old! It has the original wedge shaped controller on top. Works like a dream. Wish all my stuff was as reliable. B
Thank You Sir!!

Oh Yeah---The Gen #1 has always been a Great Smoker!!

And Thanks for the Points!!

Bear

Thank You Richie!!

Bear

Thank You Sir!!

Oh Yeah---The Gen #1 has always been a Great Smoker!!

And Thanks for the Points!!

Bear
Bear I just picked up the MES40 Bluetoothe,my cover from my Gen 2 fits loosely on the 2.5 I will know better tomorrow.I have to try my sausage rack in it.

Richie

Bear I just picked up the MES40 Bluetoothe,my cover from my Gen 2 fits loosely on the 2.5 I will know better tomorrow.I have to try my sausage rack in it.

Richie
Yup---My MES stock cover fits on any of the 3 Generations. I remove the "Rod" Handle on the top back, so the cover goes on & off without a struggle.

You'll love that #2.5.

Bear

Yup---My MES stock cover fits on any of the 3 Generations. I remove the "Rod" Handle on the top back, so the cover goes on & off without a struggle.

You'll love that #2.5.

Bear
Almost have the phone figured out,going to try to season it tomorrow.

Richie

Thanks greatly for all of the information. From what I've read, there is no reason to worry about lava rocks or ceramic briquettes. The Brinkmann smoker was a single-walled rolled steel that experienced a large amount of heat loss on cold days. I'm really looking forward to using a much better smoker. Thanks again.
Yup---No need for any heat help with an MES---These are insulated pretty good, and heat up & hold heat pretty good.

I don't even add sand or anything to my water pan. Also with a Window in the door, we tend to rarely open the door to see if everything is going OK.

Bear

Won't be long now!!!
icon14.gif

Bear
Let the count down begin with 15 hours,what killed the other MES 40 will bare life to the new one LOL another 5lbs of Slim Jims 

Seems like the cover is the only difference,thanks for your post.Going to put a link in my folders to it.

Richie

Let the count down begin with 15 hours,what killed the other MES 40 will bare life to the new one LOL another 5lbs of Slim Jims 

Seems like the cover is the only difference,thanks for your post.Going to put a link in my folders to it.

Richie
Thank You Richie!!

Glad you like it !!

Bear

Hi Bear,

I bought a Masterbuilt 30" smoker 2 weeks ago and am having some difficulty with the smoke production.  I assume that I have the latest generation smoker and your suggestions have been incorporated? 

In trying to resolve the inconsistent smoke, should I purchase the Amazen tube or the maze?  Where to place it and what trays, etc to remove?  Any need to install a baffle that you've mentioned in your evaluation?

Thanks for your help,

Backpacker

[email protected]

Hi Bear,

I bought a Masterbuilt 30" smoker 2 weeks ago and am having some difficulty with the smoke production.  I assume that I have the latest generation smoker and your suggestions have been incorporated? 

In trying to resolve the inconsistent smoke, should I purchase the Amazen tube or the maze?  Where to place it and what trays, etc to remove?  Any need to install a baffle that you've mentioned in your evaluation?

Thanks for your help,

Backpacker

[email protected]
Since I don't think you are at a high altitude in NC, I would get the Maze (5 X 8 AMNPS).

I would need to know which Generation MES you have to be able to tell you where to put the AMNPS & if you need the Heat deflector.

The Pictures above should help you with identifying which one you have.

Bear

Hey Bear,

I forgot to ask you about the pellets I need to order.  As I understand it, you're only supposed to generate smoke for half of the cooking time????  That being said, if I smoke a Boston Butt for 8 hours, I would need enough pellets to last 4 hours.  How many pounds would I need to do that?  I guess that as a rule of thumb a pound of pellets lasts how long?  I'm trying to figure out how much to buy along with the maze.

Backpacker

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky