MES 40 w/AMNPS Long Smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jcurcio

Original poster
Apr 22, 2018
Bradford, PA
Hey everyone,

Looking forward to using a new setup and have a question. What are your thoughts on refilling the AMNPS when it goes beyond 12 hours. Here's the scenario...

Doing a pork butt and planning on starting at 10pm tonight. Tomorrow I'm going to add pork belly, but that won't be until about noon. At that point the pork butt won't need more smoke, but the belly will. In that case would y'all recommend refilling the AMNPS? Any other advice here?

Big debate on how long meat will actually absorbs the smoke.. you are certainly going to get a number of replies.
As for me, it depends on what pellets I am using. As you know some are more potent than others. And then there is personal preference on how Smokey you like your meat.
Generally long smokes for brisket or butts I use one full tray of pellets. And do not add more after they are burned up.
Poultry I use 1/2 a tray.
Just my 2 cents that may be worth 1 cent. B

Hey everyone,

Looking forward to using a new setup and have a question. What are your thoughts on refilling the AMNPS when it goes beyond 12 hours. Here's the scenario...

Doing a pork butt and planning on starting at 10pm tonight. Tomorrow I'm going to add pork belly, but that won't be until about noon. At that point the pork butt won't need more smoke, but the belly will. In that case would y'all recommend refilling the AMNPS? Any other advice here?
Hi there and welcome!

I've got some advice from personal experience here:
  1. DO NOT put more pellets on top of the cherries or ash that exists in the AMNPS
    If you put pellets on top of the existing cherries it will very likely flame up OR you will burn all the pellets up at the same time... lesson learned here the hard way lol
  2. EMPTY the tray somewhere you won't start a fire due to the pellet cherries
    You don't want Ash or cherries. The ash impedes air flow and can make burning new pellets more difficult
  3. Once emptied, fill up and use as normal :)

Those tips are pretty simple and should help you avoid the fiascoes I encountered learning all this the hard way :D
Refill and smoke away!

Reactions: Jcurcio
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky