MES 40 Door Window

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mr_whipple

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jul 3, 2021
Virginia
I picked up a used MES 40 bluetooth on the cheap. I'm going to do an ammo can / mailbox mod as I want to try my hand at cold smoking some bacon, cheese etc. Eventually I want to move into small batches of smoked sausages also. Thinking about doing the PID thing too. I have a bunch of questions that I'll eventually get to, but my main concern is the window. When I got it home I plugged it in, threw some chips in it and set it for full blast, 275. Works like a champ. Didn't pay any attention to how long it took to get to temp, but it was having no problem letting all the smoke out of the chips. My concern is the amount of heat I could feel when I put my hand to the window. Warm to the touch more so than any where else on the smoker, but not scorching hot. Is this a problem I need to deal with or am I making a big deal out of nothing? I'm guessing there are window free doors out there that would fit if I could find a dead or really cheap used one??

Any advice would be great as I'd like to start this in motion so when the weather eventually cools off a bit more I'll be half way ready.

20211004_163344resize.jpg

Normal and to be expected. It's the only place it's not insulated. Only complaint I ever hear about the window, is being a PITA to clean. I find it easy myself. A Dobie pad and a little water (hot or cold) and a couple mins of elbow grease and it looks like new. Some folks get tired of it and just let it go.
I don't think I've heard of anyone replacing the door due to temperature loss and I'm not sure I would go thru the trouble. I haven't looked at mine but would imagine a bit of adjustment may be needed. A lot of folks smoke year round with window units without issue.

Awesome from the dollar store works best

^^^Absolutely Awesome is Awesome!!!^^^
I tried cleaning my Window with Ashes, Water, Alcohol, and about 10 different cleaning sprays, and after 12 years, nothing comes even close to "Awesome" for cleaning that MES Window!!

Bear

Reactions: JLeonard
I picked up a used MES 40 bluetooth on the cheap. I'm going to do an ammo can / mailbox mod as I want to try my hand at cold smoking some bacon, cheese etc. Eventually I want to move into small batches of smoked sausages also. Thinking about doing the PID thing too. I have a bunch of questions that I'll eventually get to, but my main concern is the window. When I got it home I plugged it in, threw some chips in it and set it for full blast, 275. Works like a champ. Didn't pay any attention to how long it took to get to temp, but it was having no problem letting all the smoke out of the chips. My concern is the amount of heat I could feel when I put my hand to the window. Warm to the touch more so than any where else on the smoker, but not scorching hot. Is this a problem I need to deal with or am I making a big deal out of nothing? I'm guessing there are window free doors out there that would fit if I could find a dead or really cheap used one??

Any advice would be great as I'd like to start this in motion so when the weather eventually cools off a bit more I'll be half way ready.

View attachment 512575
See the decal I added.

To clean I use gloves and EASY OFF (lye). I avoid spraying it on the metal. I rinse thoroughly with water.

Attachments

• PXL_20211010_200138393.jpg
    PXL_20211010_200138393.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 31
I would use the Totally Awesome to clean it but I finally gave up and seldom clean it. Cant see thru the smoke when it is clean so why bother. And on my unit the light is outside above the door which is useless!

I would use the Totally Awesome to clean it but I finally gave up and seldom clean it. Cant see thru the smoke when it is clean so why bother. And on my unit the light is outside above the door which is useless!

Hmmm, that's the way I tell if I have too much smoke---When I can't see the back wall through the smoke. Aren't any of your meats getting a little bitter from that thick smoke?
Just wondering.
LOL---One of mine had the light outside. That was pretty useless.

Bear

Hmmm, that's the way I tell if I have too much smoke---When I can't see the back wall through the smoke. Aren't any of your meats getting a little bitter from that thick smoke?
Just wondering.
LOL---One of mine had the light outside. That was pretty useless.

Bear
I usually have the thin blue smoke, perhaps its due to the fact I have a 30".
LOW TRAY.jpg

Not sure if I'll put a lot of effort into cleaning the window, but I'm getting ready to put the ammo can mod in motion, and I have a few questions.

When using as a cold smoker with no heat at all, is there going to be a problem with the flow of smoke? I've seen fans and also extended exhaust tubes/chimneys. Not sure if I'm putting the wrong words in the search but I'm not coming up with alot. I'll assume when the heating element is running it's a none issue, but is a modified exhaust something I should be looking at regardless?

My other questions deal with the pid that I want to do, but one thing at a time

All I ever did was put my AMNPS right in my MES, so I can't give advice on that.
However there are a lot of guys who can tell you what to do, going by their experience in that situation.

If you don't get a good answer, try a new post, Like "Cold Smoking air flow with Mailbox". Then ask your questions.

Bear

$15 Aldi upside down sealed 4 D battery camping tent fan on a 6" pvc coupling I found. For cold smoking draft. 20210817_164931.jpg
20200922_084114.jpg

Hot smoking the coupling is a windbreaker ontop over the vent and resting on the handle. Keeps wind from blowing in and drafting across the vent on windy days. Won't move in 40 + mph wind being round and heavy.
20170320_143220.jpg

Hanging the fan upside down turns the grill gazebo into a huge power vent hood.
20200925_101958.jpg

Reactions: mr_whipple
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky