MES 30 Seasoning Cook Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

yankeejoe1911

Fire Starter
Original poster
Hey BBQ Experts,

I just purchased my first smoker and before I do my seasoning cook I wanted to ask for advice. The Masturbuilt instructions do not say to coat the inside of the smoker with oil before seasoning but all instruction videos and research I've done on seasoning recommend it. So, being an electric does it not matter? Please chime in with your comments. I want to do it right the first time!

Yup---You can do what David said.

The important thing is to run it up to Max Temp to make sure it goes there, and to burn off manufacturing oils.

I wouldn't rely on what the digital read-out says. I would check that with another therm, like a Maverick wireless digital (ET-732 or ET-733).

Adding smoke in the last hour will put some good smell in there.

They don't tell you to add any oil, because it will get there soon enough when you start smoking meats.

Bear

Last edited:
Spray Pam works well. Do it like David said, and you'll be golden, well actually, the walls will be golden, but, you know where I'm coming from!

First and foremost is to clean off or burn off any oils or chemical residue possibly left on the interior of the smoker during manufacture.  The racks you can remove and hand wash.  Then season.  Just my 2 cents worth of advice. I did not spray my Cookshack when I seasoned it.  Removed the racks, loaded several ounces of chunks in the smoke box and let it rip.  Nice patina when it was done. 

I didn't and still haven't coated the interior of my MES 30 with oil or Pam or anything. As Bear said, the walls will get oiled up with your first smoke anyway. As Old Sarge said, you'll also see that patina as well. 

I wipe down the walls and ceiling and inside door surfaces if I think there's been too much deposit buildup but I leave more than enough "seasoning" to continue to help flavor whatever I'm smoking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky