MES 30 and AMPS Wont stay lit

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

camper8251

Original poster
Feb 28, 2012
Skagit Valley Washington
I have been trying to use my AMPS in my MES30 and I cant keep it lit. It burns great outside the box but wont inside. I have tried different placements of it even removing the pellet tray. Has anyone had this problem?

Thanks

Do you have the digital  electric mes 30?

If so remove the chip loader chute also.

Yeah I tried all of that. Funny thing, I just fired up a bunch of oak pellets and threw them in there. They burned just fine... I think it was the pellets... I was using cherry that came with the AMPS..... Has anybody else encountered that?

Camper, morning.... I have heard some pellets burn better than others... can't remember which ones....  Did you dry the pellets first ??  I load up the AMNPS with what I will be using and put the whole thing in the MES 30 while I preheat it.... usually 275 for an hour or two...  then the pellets light easily and burn very well....  Dave

Dave is on to it with drying them   I put mine on paper plate and nuke for 30 - 60 seconds.   Humidity gets to them.

Sorry for the threadjack, but I have been having this issue with my MES 30 as well. I have just pulled the loader out a bit like the directions on the AMPS  suggested. I'll try drying them out first and removing the loader. Thanks for the suggestions!

Yeah I tried all of that. Funny thing, I just fired up a bunch of oak pellets and threw them in there. They burned just fine... I think it was the pellets... I was using cherry that came with the AMPS..... Has anybody else encountered that?
There are multiple threads just like this one...Bottom Line...Cherry don't burn on it's own. Todd has recommended a 50/50 blend with Oak because it doesn't interfere with the Cherry flavor. I believe this info is on the Instruction sheet that comes with the AMNPS also...JJ 

Last edited:
Cherry, Bourbon Barrel and Wine Barrel Pellets have a difficult time burning on their own

Layer the rows 1/2 with oak, and then top off the rows with Cherry, Bourbon Barrel Or Wine Barrel

Hot Smoking

Pull out the chip pan 1 1/2"

Pull out chip loader out 2" - Do Not Remove

Place AMNPS on the rails, with the burning row towards the inside wall

Any questions, you can always call me at (952)412-0484

Todd

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky