mes 30 20071014 fire!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

riverrat3

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 14, 2014
Guild TN
So after experimenting with few chips,more chips,wet chips,you get the idea I decided to call master built. The young lady got a supervisors input because this model hasn't been an issue with fire and blowing the chiploader out. Supposed to pickup unit tomorrow and have me a new one by weekend. This is the gen 1 sportsman's elite from sportsman's warehouse. Anybody else have issues? She said the one I received would be the same just not say sportsman's on it and that an engineer would quality check before shipping. Fingers crossed and can't wait to get my amnps. Thought about keeping it butt she kind of insinuated they really wanted to look at it.

Thanks mule. I would have been fine as chunks worked butt she really was wanting to swap it out and maybe they will find something and save someone else the problem. Impressed so far with cs.

So after experimenting with few chips,more chips,wet chips,you get the idea I decided to call master built. The young lady got a supervisors input because this model hasn't been an issue with fire and blowing the chiploader out. Supposed to pickup unit tomorrow and have me a new one by weekend. This is the gen 1 sportsman's elite from sportsman's warehouse. Anybody else have issues? She said the one I received would be the same just not say sportsman's on it and that an engineer would quality check before shipping. Fingers crossed and can't wait to get my amnps. Thought about keeping it butt she kind of insinuated they really wanted to look at it.
I've got the regular Masterbuilt version of this model and have never had a problem with fire. In fact, I loaded up the wood chip holder with pecan wood chips yesterday because I didn't have any pecan pellets. I also used the AMNPS for burning apple wood and Todd Johnson's Pitmaster's Choice pellets. No fires and the baby backs I smoked turned out beautifully.

That seems to be the norm. I tried just a few chips and a lot and either way they burst into flames in minutes. If you opened the door it was instantaneous. I'm thinking too much air some how is entering. It was pretty impressive when it blew the chiploader out! I really hope to get the new one before the weekend,wanting some pulled pork bad!

That "20071014" MES Gen #1, shows me that they are still making Gen #1 units, and it's not true that anything with a code number ending with a higher number than "12" is a Gen #2. 

That means you can't go by the last 2 numbers to tell if it's a Gen #1 or a Gen #2.

That's what I had thought.

Thanks Riverrat3 !!

Best of luck on your swap!

BTW: In the past, the reason for flaming was that the heating element was tight against the bottom of the chip drawer.

Bear

Last edited:
Thanks Bear. I'm anxious to try some of your recipes and I don't care what numbers on it if it ain't slinging shrapnel while I cook! Lol I really was gonna keep it but oh well. If the new ones no better the amnps gonna fix it anyways. Hope all is well your way.

Thanks Bear. I'm anxious to try some of your recipes and I don't care what numbers on it if it ain't slinging shrapnel while I cook! Lol I really was gonna keep it but oh well. If the new ones no better the amnps gonna fix it anyways. Hope all is well your way.
Yup---We don't need no stinkin' shrapnel !!!
biggrin.gif

That AMNPS will make an MES Gen #1 absolutely Perfect !!

You'll love it.

Bear

That "20071014" MES Gen #1, shows me that they are still making Gen #1 units, and it's not true that anything with a code number ending with a higher number than "12" is a Gen #2. 

That means you can't go by the last 2 numbers to tell if it's a Gen #1 or a Gen #2.

That's what I had thought.

Thanks Riverrat3 !!

Best of luck on your swap!

BTW: In the past, the reason for flaming was that the heating element was tight against the bottom of the chip drawer.

Bear
Bear, you're right but here's what I think is going on. Masterbuilt must be assigning model #'s for smokers made under a retailer name plate so that the retailer(s) can sell it as an "exclusive" model. I see the same thing with other types of products. In this case, it the Sportsman Elite models seem to be sold exclusively in sporting goods stores such as Cabelas, Bass Pro, and Sportsmans Warehouse, and...like that. Sometimes these retailer-branded models include add-ons that are only available with that custom-made model, such as the shelf accessory kit offered for the MB SE line (I think 4 shelves is more than enough for this model).

Bear, you're right but here's what I think is going on. Masterbuilt must be assigning model #'s for smokers made under a retailer name plate so that the retailer(s) can sell it as an "exclusive" model. I see the same thing with other types of products. In this case, it the Sportsman Elite models seem to be sold exclusively in sporting goods stores such as Cabelas, Bass Pro, and Sportsmans Warehouse, and...like that. Sometimes these retailer-branded models include add-ons that are only available with that custom-made model, such as the shelf accessory kit offered for the MB SE line (I think 4 shelves is more than enough for this model).
My only point is the last 2 numbers in the model number:

People are always asking the easiest way to tell the Gen #1 from the Gen #2.

I always say that the easiest way to tell is the Gen #1 has the digital controls in a box mounted to the center back of the top, and the Gen #2 has the digital controls built into the top front edge. That's the only thing you need to know!!

Then somebody usually adds some of the other ways to tell, and they include saying that the last 2 numbers in the model number end with the year they were made, and all the new ones (13, 14) are Gen #2 units. The fact that the #20071014" is a Gen #1 proves this is wrong, because they are apparently still making Gen #1 models.

I wouldn't want to see anyone get the wrong unit because of the model number.

Bear

That's what I looked for Bear. Controls on top vent on top. I could have got the gen 2 20 dollars cheaper but wanted the gen 1. I made sure and told her I only wanted the gen 1 and she said no problem so they evidently make them still and she said it wouldn't be a sportsman elite so that kind of kills that theory.

My only point is the last 2 numbers in the model number:

People are always asking the easiest way to tell the Gen #1 from the Gen #2.

I always say that the easiest way to tell is the Gen #1 has the digital controls in a box mounted to the center back of the top, and the Gen #2 has the digital controls built into the top front edge. That's the only thing you need to know!!

Then somebody usually adds some of the other ways to tell, and they include saying that the last 2 numbers in the model number end with the year they were made, and all the new ones (13, 14) are Gen #2 units. The fact that the #20071014" is a Gen #1 proves this is wrong, because they are apparently still making Gen #1 models.

I wouldn't want to see anyone get the wrong unit because of the model number.

Bear
One would think you're right. Maybe the Mb Tech Guy can explain how the model numbers work because your theory made sense up to this point. Still weird how the model #s look like dates of manufacture but they aren't. Yeah, easiest way to tell the difference between the two Gens has been by placement of the digital controls.

One would think you're right. Maybe the Mb Tech Guy can explain how the model numbers work because your theory made sense up to this point. Still weird how the model #s look like dates of manufacture but they aren't. Yeah, easiest way to tell the difference between the two Gens has been by placement of the digital controls.
I try not to bother him with trivial things---He's a very busy man.

Bear

Just to clarify the model number issue a little, I'll use the following example using the 20070910 which is the 30" Gen 1 which is all black, no window, no meat probe, etc.  The last two digits are the year  (or close) to when it was introduced.  There are also "future use" numbers on the certification of the product, and this is where I believe there is confusion.  If a customer (pick one) decides to purchase a Gen I, all black (same basic unit as the 20070910), but wants to have extra racks, a cover included, whatever, and they want it for the year 2014, then the last two would be "14", or even "13" if that is when the product actually went into production, etc.  The new numbers are basically just to differentiate it for the retailer and warranty purposes.  So you can have a Gen 1, and Gen 2 with the last two digits of "14", or any year.  So Bear, you are correct.  The important thing is really just, is it a Gen 1, Gen 2, and is it a 30" or 40".  The rest of it is just numbers that help our customer service department make sure the consumer is taken care of properly when needed.  Hopefully this simplifies it.  Tks.  D.

Just to clarify the model number issue a little, I'll use the following example using the 20070910 which is the 30" Gen 1 which is all black, no window, no meat probe, etc.  The last two digits are the year  (or close) to when it was introduced.  There are also "future use" numbers on the certification of the product, and this is where I believe there is confusion.  If a customer (pick one) decides to purchase a Gen I, all black (same basic unit as the 20070910), but wants to have extra racks, a cover included, whatever, and they want it for the year 2014, then the last two would be "14", or even "13" if that is when the product actually went into production, etc.  The new numbers are basically just to differentiate it for the retailer and warranty purposes.  So you can have a Gen 1, and Gen 2 with the last two digits of "14", or any year.  So Bear, you are correct.  The important thing is really just, is it a Gen 1, Gen 2, and is it a 30" or 40".  The rest of it is just numbers that help our customer service department make sure the consumer is taken care of properly when needed.  Hopefully this simplifies it.  Tks.  D.
Thank You Darryl!!

Bear

Thanks, Darryl. My brain was beginning to hurt...
hit.gif

Well I have had doctors appointments and general life happens all day but long story short no one showed up yesterday to pick up my mes so I have decided its destiny is to be mine. Couldn't call them today as I said. Ordering the amnps Friday and have some chunks here for a scarbelly type wing smoke tomorrow. Got a beautiful butt today for some pulled pork once the amnps arrives.Gonna try Bear's recipe and method.

Well I have had doctors appointments and general life happens all day but long story short no one showed up yesterday to pick up my mes so I have decided its destiny is to be mine. Couldn't call them today as I said. Ordering the amnps Friday and have some chunks here for a scarbelly type wing smoke tomorrow. Got a beautiful butt today for some pulled pork once the amnps arrives.Gonna try Bear's recipe and method.
Sorry about you health problems, riverrat 3. Did MB issue some kind of FedEx pickup ticket to take your MES back and send you a regular Gen 1? Perhaps you should call them again.

Bear is the man. I've gotten great MES tips and smoking tips in general from him. As for the AMNPS, I cooked up some baby backs on Sunday using the AMNPS as my smoke source with some pecan wood chips added to the flavor mix only because I don't (as yet) have pecan wood pellets. For pellets I primarily used Todd Johnson's Pitmaster's Choice wood pellets. I sent some ribs over to my favorite brother-in-law and he proclaim my smoked ribs were the best he ever tasted and also proclaimed me Rib King.

I consider the AMNPS the best purchase for smoking I ever made--right after my MES 30. 3rd would be the Maverick ET-733 therm. After you receive your AMNPS, check the threads for how to successfully keep the AMNPS lit because, despite some user complaints, it's really easy to do and the thing burns for hours when fully loaded with pellets.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky