Members Mountain hybrid

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Mark Krenn

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 20, 2019
South Dakota
Ok so I had built a smoker for my son a couple years ago. He never used it cause it was wired 240v and he didn’t have a way to plug it in.
I got an idea to make it into a pellet smoker. Sam’s club had a screaming deal on their Members Mark pellet grill so I bought one. Removed the burner and hopper assembly and installed it on the smoker that was an old refrigerator. It worked “ok”, but I wanted to upgrade it to be remotely controlled and monitored. After tons of research and YouTube videos, I purchased a Green Mountain Grill (Daniel Boone model) WiFi controller. It had the same output voltage for all 3 applications (auger, convection fan, hot rod) that Traeger, Pit Boss, etc. has. I did have to use the GMG thermal sensor or it would throw an alarm. I made sure there was plenty of holes in the bottom of the smoker and a 2” outlet on top for good ventilation. I was able to download the app to control it on my iPhone. Was very simple. I then tested the smoker empty and it worked awesome!! After 30 mins, the temps stabilized within 3 degrees. The next night, I cooked a pork butt for pulled pork. All went good and it used less than 10 lbs of pellets during the 14 hour cook in 0 degree weather!. I plan to install another GMG WiFi controller on my pit boss pellet grill. A lot cheaper than buying gmg’s grill for sure! Send me an IM if you want more info on this build.
Mark the Meatman

upload_2019-2-20_16-47-37.jpeg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky