Meet Number 2

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I spent some time this weekend on the mods, got everthing done except temp guages. I installed two Weber round vents on the lid, installed a charcoal grate in the pan, and added an adjustable air vent on the bottom pan. When I get home this afternoon, I'll get some pics posted of the mods.

I noticed the lid does not fit tightly to the chamber body, it actually sits inside it on the upper grate brackets. Has anyone attempted to seal the gap around the lid, or is this not a problem?

Well, how to break this to ya, that's how the unit vents, didnt need the top vent but lookin forward to see the mod, now that you have re-vented it, i guess you could seal the lid, but it would be a pain in the arse to open the lid. Keep up with the mod's, let us know how it works, and i been meaning to ask ya, got my smoker almost done, but i need some help "pimping" it out
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Yeah, I see that... I was going by some mods I'd seen others do, a top vent being one of them. That's okay, I have a couple more ideas on the lid thing...
eek.gif

Cool, let me know!
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Glad to see ya saved her from that cold Lowes floor...Winters comin soon..Better plan on lot's of long smokes
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
thru the cold months to keep her warm....LOL......DB BBQ

My camera still sux... it is way old technology that I need to replace. Anyway, here are a few lamo shots of the ECB mods so far...

1 - grill grate mod
2 - front view
3 - top vents mod
4 - bottom vent mod

Thanks! Now I'm thinking on ways to seal the lid around the chamber... that should give me good air flow and heat control...
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Hawg, I don't get much leakage around the lid, you might want to try it first. I also put two vents on the top of mine. I also drilled hole in the sides even with each rack for the thermometer probes and I put nylon push bushings in the holes so the cords won't get rubbed.

Thanks Blackhawk, I intend to drill holes for thermo probes... ain't got there yet.

As far as the lid goes, I am in tinker mode... a dangerous place for me to be (just ask me lovely bride). I have an idea that I have almost brought to fruition, that will "seal" the lid to the main body... nothing fancy, not a super-tight seal, but it will eliminate the big air gap between the two. It may not be necessary for a true functionality improvement, but neither is a hair piece...
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

My hair is disappearing, but my mind is still... somewhere... I think...
PDT_Armataz_01_23.gif

...but I did it. I came up with a "seal" to close up the gap between the main chamber and the lid. It isn't air tight, but it will block most of gap.

I got a 5' coil of 3/8" flexible copper tubing, formed a ring to fit snuggly around the lid, trimmed it to length and soldered the two ends together. I'll use some pop rivets and hi temp sealer to mount it to the lid. The ring rests nicely on the top edge of the main chamber, closing up the gap.

Film at eleven...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky