1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Meatloaf and Beans

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dane Wilson, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Dane Wilson

Dane Wilson Newbie

Going to make my first attempt at Meatloaf and baked beans in the smoker tonight. Any tips are very much appreciated.

Using a Masterbuilt Electric smoker with apple chips today.

Meatloaf is a mixture of ground beef and sausage, onions, peppers garlic, eggs and breadcrumbs. Seasoned with various rubs and salt and pepper of course.

I have never made baked beans in the smoker so i really have no idea what i am doing with that part, i guess i will just wing it, haha

Wish me luck!

2. SonnyE

SonnyE Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Good Luck!
    (But I hope you don't need any luck. I hope it comes out great for you.)

Dane Wilson likes this.
  3. hillbillyrkstr

hillbillyrkstr Master of the Pit Group Lead

I’ve smoked plenty of meatloafs and even more beans in my mes smokers. I usually like to put my meat over the beans so it catches the drippings. Seeing as how this is meatloaf I’m not sure how much those drippings would add. I usually have a brisket, butt, or ribs above mine.

I do my beans in a big throw away pan and stir once an hour. I like them in the smoker for about 3 hours. I like a nice crust to form on the top at the end.

As far as meat loaf just do your regular meatloaf you’d do in the oven and pull it at the temp your like it at. If you like to add ketchup or bbq sauce for a crust do that the last hour.

Good luck
    Scott

SonnyE and Dane Wilson like this.
  4. Jeff Wright

Jeff Wright Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

I might add, and this is just me, I generally back off some of the bread crumbs. Use as a binder/filler of sorts, but when I use what a regular oven recipe calls for my loafs tend to be on the drier side. Just my $.02. You are sure to nail it.

Dane Wilson likes this.
  5. Lookn4u

Lookn4u Smoke Blower

Hope we some pics! I love meatloaf.

Dane Wilson likes this.
  6. As far as the baked beans, check out "Dutch's wicked baked beans" recipe. You won't be disappointed.

Dane Wilson likes this.
  7. Dane Wilson

Dane Wilson Newbie

The before pictures

Attached Files:

SonnyE likes this.
  8. Dane Wilson

Dane Wilson Newbie

Finished products. Beans were outstanding, meatloafs needs some tweaking.

Attached Files:

SonnyE and gmc2003 like this.
  9. gmc2003

gmc2003 Master of the Pit

Those loafs and beans look pretty darn good to me.

Point for sure.
    Chris

Dane Wilson likes this.
  10. Jeff Wright

Jeff Wright Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

Looks pretty good. Missed the dinner bell.

Dane Wilson likes this.
  11. Smoke23

Smoke23 Smoking Fanatic

Great job!

Dane Wilson likes this.
  12. SmokinLogs

SmokinLogs Smoking Fanatic

Looks tasty! I’m new to smoking meatloaf too, but my god, it’s fantastic. I never want meatloaf any other way! Good job on the loaf and beans!

Dane Wilson likes this.
  13. SonnyE

fivetricks and Dane Wilson like this.
  14. Yeah, give them a shot more or less "as is" for your first run. Make it small if you like, cut the recipe in half or even in quarters. From there tweak it to your liking. I ram the BS, ketchup, and a 3rd ingredient over top of the recipe. The 3rd ingredient being the desire of the day. Spice, BBQ, sulphides, etc.

Dane Wilson likes this.
  15. SonnyE

Whew! I made my supper out of Wicked Baked Beans.
    Dad Burn, That's Good! :D
    I bet my dog sleeps on the floor tonight...:eek:

Dane Wilson likes this.