Meat your Maker Grinders

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Cmeyers

Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jul 19, 2020
I am ready to replace my old Cabelas grinder, and have settle on the "new" on the market company Meat your Maker. Question I have, the 1hp or the 1.5hp? I'm not making as much sausage or processing meat to burger or whatever the final use is anymore, but also don't know if that will change in the future. At only a $100 difference right now between the two, trying to get others opinions if you have bought this brand and what did you end up going with.

Appreciate the input in advance

Reactions: JLeonard
Go big or go home............. What size is the cabelas your replacing?

Go big or go home............. What size is the cabelas your replacing?
3/4 hp currently. I like that with the 1.5 you can add the meat mixer as well. Appreciate the input.

Apparently the additional expense is not a concern or you wouldn't be considering it. I'm with boykjo boykjo ...go for the bigger one. Worst case, even if you don't get back to grinding large quantities, you'll have a much more durable and stronger grinder that should last a long time....possibly the last one you'll ever need to buy.

Robert

Along with others i'm of the group of get the bigger. Buyers regret is very much a thing. And i'm the person who buys the cheaper one, just to have to end up buying the more expensive one.

Jim

Reactions: halleoneagain
Apparently the additional expense is not a concern or you wouldn't be considering it. I'm with boykjo boykjo ...go for the bigger one. Worst case, even if you don't get back to grinding large quantities, you'll have a much more durable and stronger grinder that should last a long time....possibly the last one you'll ever need to buy.

Robert
Robert,
Very good point. Yes, I'm getting older now and would be my last one and hopefully pass along to my grandson who helps me now. Money is not the concern, my grandfather told me when I was a young boy, buy quality that will last for most of your life, buy cheap and replace all your life.

Just a heads up......Also from what other members have said about using the mixer attachment with the larger units they tend to not use them after they bought them. They require additional extensive work to clean and maintain them. Its easier to just mix by hand......

Thank you all for your input, I have taken the input and purchased the larger on.
Just a heads up......Also from what other members have said about using the mixer attachment with the larger units they tend to not use them after they bought them. They require additional extensive work to clean and maintain them. Its easier to just mix by hand......
That is great to know in advance. I don't plan to buy the mixer now and didn't know if I ever would. Mixing by hand is really not that hard. Thank you. Great to be able to collaborate with others that have had experience with these or similar units.

Currently have the 1.5 for a couple years now. Got it for a great price. It will grind about 15lbs a minute with no sign of struggle. Also purchased the 15lb stuffer, though it works well, it leaks meat paste through the gasket every time and they talked their way out of replacement. For that reason I stay away from them going forward. Hope you enjoy the 1.5, as I have.

I have .75 #12 it's all I need and works great that said if money was not a concern I would get 1.5hp My only concern is that it weighs 70 lbs.

I have .75 #12 it's all I need and works great that said if money was not a concern I would get 1.5hp My only concern is that it weighs 70 lbs.
That is my concern as well. I bought the 1.5hp today. Things that didn't used to be so heavy for me are getting heavier the older I get. I hope it is all I imagine it to be. Still love to process my own meat.

That is my concern as well. I bought the 1.5hp today. Things that didn't used to be so heavy for me are getting heavier the older I get. I hope it is all I imagine it to be. Still love to process my own meat.
I was very impressed with quality of the #12. I'm 64 and a 2 time cancer survivor. The last after the last battle it took away some of my physical strength. I mainly just make some burger & sausage. Be sure and post what you think of it.

I was very impressed with quality of the #12. I'm 64 and a 2 time cancer survivor. The last after the last battle it took away some of my physical strength. I mainly just make some burger & sausage. Be sure and post what you think of it.
God has plans for you for sure. I'm a couple years younger than you, and things seem heavier than they used to for sure, but I believe I can handle this thing.
I will most definitely give my feedback. I have watched so many videos and guys using this equipment, hope it processes like on the videos. I like that it is an American company and seem to use quality materials. I don't post often but read a lot of posts and do appreciate this community.

I don't have the brand you are buying but have a 1.5 hp LEM and it's heavy. I've had this grinder a long time even when I was younger like early 40's and in pretty good health and shape it was heavy then and still is. I have had it sitting on a dedicated stainless steel rolling cart I got from Sam's or Costco years ago and I'm still glad I got the cart.
Good luck with your new grinder some pictures and your thoughts on using it would be appreciated around here

They are on the heavy side. I machined a carry handle for mine to make it a little easier on the back..........

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky