Meat slicer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hagar

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 4, 2016
Billings, MT
Hello everyone, its been awhile since I posted last. Well I have a question about the Cabelas Deluxe 8.7" meat slicer. Its on sale this week. Im wondering if anyone on here has one and uses it for bacon? I used a LEM 7.5" last time to cut my bacon but I had to cut off about 4" so the bacon would fit on the sled. I now have 19# of belly brining in Pops wet brine and have about a week left before its ready. Let me hear what you guys use for slicing up bacon.
e12c30091a63ec562deb1aab9b7fc856.jpg

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Honestly I have a big commercial 12" slicer that will easily slice large hunks of bacon.

But I usually end up using my Chefs Choice 8" & cutting the slabs in half.

What's the point of having great big long pieces of bacon that are hard to cook because they are hanging over the edge of the pan.

I am not familiar with that particular slicer, but if it is a well built & can be sharpened easily, then I wouldn't let the size stop you.

Just cut the slabs up.

Al

Well I rarely cook the bacon in a fry pan. I almost always cook the bacon on the Traeger or in the oven. Just my preferance.

Well I rarely cook the bacon in a fry pan. I almost always cook the bacon on the Traeger or in the oven. Just my preferance.

Well if you don't want to trim it then go with a 12".

Check Craig's list in your area.

Al

Well I settled on the 10" commercial grade slicer from Cabelas. The useable portion of the sled measures about 9". I measured the 12" slicer too and it had the same sled. Hope it works well as it was quite pricy investment. I will keep you posted.
0303082f74947df2d6a4862ad410d5fc.jpg

Reactions: cookfarms
Sweet! Let us know how you like it, I contemplated long and hard between that and the Deluxe 8.7 slicer. I wound up ordering the 8.7 Deluxe last week on the same sale ($99 + free shipping but only 1/4hp though)...

Last edited:
Well I settled on the 10" commercial grade slicer from Cabelas. The useable portion of the sled measures about 9". I measured the 12" slicer too and it had the same sled. Hope it works well as it was quite pricy investment. I will keep you posted.
0303082f74947df2d6a4862ad410d5fc.jpg

Nice slicer,u wont be dissappointed:)

Was the Brine for flavor or just adding moisture? I'm look at a Bacon smoke soon!! Are you sharing that brine?

That's the one I have and I think it does a great job.  I have to cut some ends off to get the whole strips of bacon cut, but the ends cook up just fine, too.

My biggest suggestion is to make sure your bacon is almost frozen when you cut it.  As it gets softer, the fatty pieces will get caught up in the blade and get sucked in.  It's a pain.

Was the Brine for flavor or just adding moisture? I'm look at a Bacon smoke soon!! Are you sharing that brine?

I used Pops Wet Brine that is very popular on this site.

you have to brine to cure the meat before cold smoking for safety, but also, if you don't it will come out tasting like regular roasted or pan fried pork instead of bacon... the curing is chemically cooking the meat, but it is also adding flavor and pulling in hygroscopic sugar and salt which helps with moisture retention... in the case of bacon, i don't think moisture retention is big on the list of what you are trying to accomplish, but it will do just that.

Bacon turned out great! Pops never fails, great flavor. The Cabelas slicer worked great too. I did have to bend the frozen slab in a U shape to be able to slice with out cutting but the slicer went through the bacon like butter. Very pleased.
8772eb0a6f98568d0112870a592b8dfd.jpg
e8c1d0caea5f39333ae48a9ffadae6b9.jpg
24bcbd8f6faf8c0907ba92450d29b0f0.jpg

Reactions: bdskelly
I don't have an electric slicer... mostly because 2-300 for a big one is a lot for me and I shy'd away from the home use ones because of the small tray. Bending belly in a U is a great idea. Thanks

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky