Meat Sales This Week

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
We have 2 supermarkets offering the Angus @ $5.99 Stop n Shop and Shop rite. I am cutting them all down to steaks. Can't wait to attempt the rib smoke. I just plugged in the FIL new chest freezer in his garage for storage. I also picked up 3 Long Island ducks to spin. Stop n Shop has chick drums for $.99 lb so might grab a bunch of those to vortex.

I've fallen down on my job this week, but Publix has USDA Choice rib roasts again this week for $6.99/lb.

Aldi has 10 lb. bags of leg quarters for $4.90 each, butterflied lamb leg for $7.99/lb., and fresh whole pineapples for $1.29 each.

Food Lion has fresh asparagus for $1.49/lb., 5 lb. bags of Russets for $1.99 each, frozen turkey breasts for$1.29/lb.

Lowe's Foods has select grade rib roast for $6.99/lb. and CAB rib roast for $9.99/lb.

Kroger has USDA Choice rib roast for $6.97/lb. and whole beef tenderloins for $12.99/lb.

KJ's has sweet potatoes for 37¢/lb. and cabbage for 57¢/lb.

Everyone has hams on sale, both spiral sliced and unsliced, for various prices...

I saw Publix also has Whole Beef Tenderloin for $12.99/lb. Our Kroger ad didn't show Rib Roast or Tenderloin. I'll recheck. Thanks for updating

I saw Publix also has Whole Beef Tenderloin for $12.99/lb. Our Kroger ad didn't show Rib Roast or Tenderloin. I'll recheck. Thanks for updating
Most times when I get whole vac packed tenderloins (usually called PISMO) I end up trimming so much it is not worth it...are my knife skills that bad?

Most times when I get whole vac packed tenderloins (usually called PISMO) I end up trimming so much it is not worth it...are my knife skills that bad?
Prob not. My knife skills are nonexistent, lol. The Mrs. does all of he cutting, luckily the tenderloins don't have that much to trim. What I don't like is the flat on one end, almost a waste. We mainly use it for Hibachi on the Blackstone. Tenderloin if the only steak she'll eat, who am I to complain? We get 4-5 good sized meals out of a 6-7 pounder. That's the avg size we find. A little expensive, but if we made just steaks out of it we'd be bored and not as good as the Hibachi.

Local Food Lion had only 1 turkey breast.
Just 1 😶 and I got it !
Wife just had a check up and has HBP and elevated colestoral levels so I'll have to go back on Friday and see if they make it in.
Gotta start smoking healthier

Keith

Reactions: MJB05615
Sorry to hear, we are both in similar situations here. Less Beef, etc.
I was amazed at how fast we got a lot of our numbers improved by just adding more vegetables, and cutting out fast food entirely.
We (I) used to eat a lot of fast food.

We don't eat much fast food but a lot of snacking such as chips.
Deffinetly going to increase the veggie intake and maybe she can splurge on beef (loves a good steak) weekly !

Keith

I forgot we also ate a lot of chips and cakes too. Been on WW for 10 months. No soda either. We use Beef once a week as well. It's easier when both of us do it.

Prob not. My knife skills are nonexistent, lol. The Mrs. does all of he cutting, luckily the tenderloins don't have that much to trim. What I don't like is the flat on one end, almost a waste. We mainly use it for Hibachi on the Blackstone. Tenderloin if the only steak she'll eat, who am I to complain? We get 4-5 good sized meals out of a 6-7 pounder. That's the avg size we find. A little expensive, but if we made just steaks out of it we'd be bored and not as good as the Hibachi.
I was getting the PISMO whatever that means for as low as $5.00/lb (pre covid) Trimmed so much fat and silver skin and took me a long time. Probably got a good 5 nice, thick filets and as the ends split we got some great smaller cubes to make stir fry out of. But now those are $15-$20, not worth it.

I will see how the 38lbs of rib roast works out now...lol

Def not worth it, but that was a great price. 38lbs of Rib roast, nice score. Let's see how it works out. It's gotta be great.

Alton Brown had a good solution for tenderloin ends. Starting from the thick side, travel 2/3 of the way down to the small end and start cutting through it at that point, but not all the way. Leave a little still connected, fold it back towards the thick side, and tie with twine in a few places. That way, the tenderloin thickness is fairly consistent all the way along. You can roast it like that or slice into the same size steaks.

Just came from my Fred Meyer store (They are owned by Kroger.) Picked up Choice beef rib roast for $5.77 lb. with digital coupon. They also had Angus rib roasts for $8.99 lb with coupon. That's the best deal I've seen in this area.

Alton Brown had a good solution for tenderloin ends. Starting from the thick side, travel 2/3 of the way down to the small end and start cutting through it at that point, but not all the way. Leave a little still connected, fold it back towards the thick side, and tie with twine in a few places. That way, the tenderloin thickness is fairly consistent all the way along. You can roast it like that or slice into the same size steaks.
Mike, thanks for the info. Sounds easy enough for us to try, and a good idea. Gonna try it next one we get. Great score on that Rib Roast.

I went to Publix tonight for some other things but the butcher stopped me and asked if I had seen the prices on the rib roasts. I told him I had picked up a few already. He said @ 6.99 /lb that is less than they pay for them. I thought that was interesting.

Reactions: MJB05615
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky