Maybe a simple question, I don't know...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shaneoco1981

Original poster
Oct 8, 2016
Metro Detroit
Ok, so I have a 22.5" WSM and got the Igrill 2 for Christmas. I am wondering, with my ambient temp probe that gives me the grate Temp, where would you put it? Obviously the WSM has 2 grate levels. Where do you think I want to know the grate Temp? Especially if using both levels?

Sounds like a personal preference thing, so you'll probably get a variety of answers.

On every vertical smoker I've ever used, I like to put the probe in the hottest part of the pit, which is almost always on the top grate.  Knowing how my pit runs helps.  I know that my middle grate generally runs around 10* cooler than the top grate, and my bottom grate runs about another 10* cooler than the middle one.  With that knowledge, I can place my meats accordingly and be pretty confident what the grate temp is at each level.

Of course, the same logic can be used to place the probe on the bottom grate, then just reverse all the numbers...this is just the way I've always done it.

Red

Just jam it in the grommet and it will read between both grates.  Find out what temp at that location work for your style of cooking and go with that.  

I think we all get too hung up on the perfect location and the perfect tempature.  It doesn't matter what my probe reads, or where I have it located, as I am not your WSM, your location, your cooking style.  

I would test your WSM with the probe on both levels.

Do it with water in the pan, and with the pan dry.

Then you will know the different temps each grate will have.

While doing this, take note of what the temp gauge in the lid says.

Honestly I don't bother with a temp probe on the grate anymore, because I know by looking at the lid temp, what the grate temp is.

So if the grate temp on the bottom grate is 200 & the grate temp on the top grate is 220, & the lid says 210.

Just by looking at the lid you will be able to tell what each grate temp is.

If the lid says 230, then you would know the bottom grate is 220 & the top grate is 240.

Hope this helps.

Al

Contrary to my initial expectations, when I put my dual probe temperature logger on both grates there was surprisingly little difference between the bottom and top grate - maybe 2 C degrees (4 F degrees). I was expecting a much larger gradient but I was using the water bowl which may have evened the temperature. With such a small difference it really does not matter which grate you measure at. Probably the most representative place would be to clip it on the underside of the top grate - or as Drewed suggests in the side grommet. For simplicity I just clip mine onto the top grate next to the meat.

Last edited:
I drilled a hole in my exhaust stack and push the end of the pit probe into the stack and measure my temp there. My stack temp generally runs about 10 degrees hotter then my door temp gauge reads. I didn't find any real difference between my stack temp and the temp of my 4 rack positions. This way I have one less wire running into the smoker and when cold smoking I don't have to deal with any wires in the cabinet.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky