MAVERICK ET-732

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scredx3

Original poster
Dec 23, 2013
OH
I ORDERED MY ET-732 OVER A WEEK AGO. IT FINALLY ARRIVED TODAY. I'M DEFINITELY NOT COMPLAINING, BUT MY SMOKER DOOR HAS A GREAT, TIGHT SEAL AND I'M CONCERNED ABOUT DAMAGING MY PROBE CONNECTION WIRES WHEN I CLOSE/LATCH MY DOOR. I'M DEBATING ON DRILLING A HOLE IN THE FACE OF THE DOOR, BUT I HAT TO DO ANYTHING LIKE THAT IF I DONT HAVE TO. ANY ADVICE?

I can't imagine the door seal being that firm to the point that it would not give way for the probe's wire.

I HAVE A LANDMANN 3495GW GOSM. THE DOOR DOES CLOSE, BUT IT SEEMS TO REALLY PINCH THE WIRES. I'M CONCERNED ABOUT LONG TERM USE. I DONT WANT TO RUIN THE WIRES AFTER JUST A FEW SMOKES. I LIKE THE VENT IDEA. THE PROBE WIRES ARENT REAL LONG, BUT THEY SHOULD BE LONG ENOUGH FOR THAT. THANKS!

dirtsailor and cmayna will steer ya in the right direction, they know their stuff! Thumbs Up. WHB

Thanks for the advice. I like the hole in the side idea. The side location will allow me to reach most, if not all the racks in my smoker with the probes. After work I stopped by an auto parts store and got "heat shrinking tube" and high temp tape to protect the wire/probe connections. I'm not sure if they are just made that way, but mine seemed very fragile. I put on the "heat shrinking tube" first so the connection would seal. The tube has a temperature limit of 275 so I then wrapped that in high temp tape which has a temperature limit of 500.

If you're just gonna pass the whole therm through I would just drill a hole and be done with it. That small hole won't effect your smoke. If you're worried about the air leak stuff a small piece of tin foil in there. I have a 1/4" hole in the side of my GOSM and I have never plugged it while smoking. At 10 years old and having been moved a lot it leaks more out the door and else where. Doing through the side does allow you to get to any shelf, especially if you have the 6' probes. Make a small shelf and attach it to the side to set your therm unit on. I will be making that mod soon. Tired if trying to find a place to hang it or set it!

I drilled holes in the side panel of both of my Big Chief smokers for the probe wire.  Best thing I ever did......besides marrying the wife of course.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky