Mastercraft Circuit Board Wiring Help Needed!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

RTSMOKE

Original poster
Oct 6, 2021
I have a MES 140G bluetooth electric smoker. The Control panel is not working. I have been working with Masterbuilt, but not getting the answers. The controller is not available from them to get it replaced or from ANYWHERE! Since I bought it used, they can't give me my money back.

Here is what I sent to Masterbuilt:

I am needing to know which wires connect to which wires?
- I have attached pictures to explain my need.
- The 5 wire plug from the base unit is color coded: red, black, white, blue, yellow & with connector.
- The 5 wires coming from controller are missing the connector plug. There is 1 red & 4 black wires.
I need to know what color the 1 red & 4 black wires plug to?
I have noted in the picture the 1 red & named the 4 black wires coming from circuit board Black 1, Black 2, Black 3, Black 4.
- I have put a grid together guessing at the match up that I am uncertain of - Please let me know if it is not accurate.
- PLEASE ADVISE on where the (5) from circuit board match to??!!

From Base Unit PlugFrom Controller circuit board ??
RedRed
BlackBlack 1
WhiteBlack 2
BlueBlack 3
YellowBlack 4

Attachments

• unnamed-1.jpg
    unnamed-1.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 163
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 159
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 5.20.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 5.20.41 PM.png
    172.1 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
I have a MES 140G bluetooth electric smoker. The Control panel is not working. I have been working with Masterbuilt, but not getting the answers. The controller is not available from them to get it replaced or from ANYWHERE! Since I bought it used, they can't give me my money back.

Here is what I sent to Masterbuilt:

I am needing to know which wires connect to which wires?
- I have attached pictures to explain my need.
- The 5 wire plug from the base unit is color coded: red, black, white, blue, yellow & with connector.
- The 5 wires coming from controller are missing the connector plug. There is 1 red & 4 black wires.
I need to know what color the 1 red & 4 black wires plug to?
I have noted in the picture the 1 red & named the 4 black wires coming from circuit board Black 1, Black 2, Black 3, Black 4.
- I have put a grid together guessing at the match up that I am uncertain of - Please let me know if it is not accurate.
- PLEASE ADVISE on where the (5) from circuit board match to??!!

From Base Unit PlugFrom Controller circuit board ??
RedRed
BlackBlack 1
WhiteBlack 2
BlueBlack 3
YellowBlack 4

Hi there and welcome!

Here is an image and a thread right up your alley and may help with the questions you are asking:

20210301_mes40_powersupply-5pinconnector-jpg.jpg

Read lots of details on the MES wiring and what it is doing here:

Now there is a simpler approach to all of this.
You could do the simple rewire and use a PID controller and you would have a smoker that performed 100X better than any brand new MES. You would have to use the A-Maze-N Pellet Smoker (AMNPS) tray or tube to produce smoke but all of us MES guys use it anyhow so not really a downside there lol

Read this:

I highly recommend the rewire and using an Auber Plug and Play PID or if you have the parts, tools, and know how you can build one. Building one from scratch with no parts or tools will be just as expensive or more expensive than buying this one from Auber:

I hope this info helps :)

I'm confused with this statement. From your picture, looks like it plugged in the controller. Or am I missing something.

Anyway, looks like tallbm had you covered.

I resolved the wiring issue by trial and error! Thank you for your input and help!

Reactions: tallbm
Hi I stumbled upon this site on accident while i was searching for a fix for my master-built smoker model # 20073012. My digital control box has gone to crap, and it's mind blowing how such a big company put out their product with such crappy components. Say that this thread might have a viable work around so wanted to ask will the PID conversion work on this model of smoker or should i turf it and just get another smoker? Thanks for any help in this situation

Welcome aboard. Yes, if you look at what tallbm tallbm posted, the rewire should work. If questions he will walk you thru it, he helped me with mine. You will love your smoker afterwards.

Hi I stumbled upon this site on accident while i was searching for a fix for my master-built smoker model # 20073012. My digital control box has gone to crap, and it's mind blowing how such a big company put out their product with such crappy components. Say that this thread might have a viable work around so wanted to ask will the PID conversion work on this model of smoker or should i turf it and just get another smoker? Thanks for any help in this situation
Hi there and welcome!

The PID conversion should work no problem. The key is the simple rewire. In short you cut the ends off 4 wires and wire nut the ends to the correct ends and make 2 whole wires. Then the plug will feed power to the heating element with no control or electronics in the mix.

This is where the PID controller comes in.
You take the PID temperature probe and drop it into the smoker to measure smoker temp.
You plug the PID into the wall outlet.
You plug the rewired MES into the PID.
You set the PID to the temp you want to cook at (275F), done!

The PID will take power from the wall and feed it to the rewired MES until it hits the set temp (275F in this case). Then the PID will cut power on/off to the rewired MES to hold 275F.
No mystery, AND your MES will perform better than any MES could brand new hahaha.

Let me know if this makes sense.

You can read about it all in great detail here:

Hi there and welcome!

The PID conversion should work no problem. The key is the simple rewire. In short you cut the ends off 4 wires and wire nut the ends to the correct ends and make 2 whole wires. Then the plug will feed power to the heating element with no control or electronics in the mix.

This is where the PID controller comes in.
You take the PID temperature probe and drop it into the smoker to measure smoker temp.
You plug the PID into the wall outlet.
You plug the rewired MES into the PID.
You set the PID to the temp you want to cook at (275F), done!

The PID will take power from the wall and feed it to the rewired MES until it hits the set temp (275F in this case). Then the PID will cut power on/off to the rewired MES to hold 275F.
No mystery, AND your MES will perform better than any MES could brand new hahaha.

Let me know if this makes sense.

You can read about it all in great detail here:
Awesome thanks guys i appreciate the information

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky