Masterbuilt with Auber PID won't get above 235 degrees

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokermd33

Original poster
May 18, 2016
Thanks to tallbm tallbm I bypassed my control board and got my MES20072115 working with an Auber 1510ELPM. The box is in good shape with no seal leaks and the PID is set to 300 with a constant "OUT" light but the internal temp near the top of the smoker never gets above 235 according to the Auber sensor and another oven thermometer. The manual says it can heat up to 275 so probably higher since I bypass the control unit. It took 24 hours to get a 10 lb brisket flat to 175. Do heating elements wear out and not heat as well over time?

Thanks to tallbm tallbm I bypassed my control board and got my MES20072115 working with an Auber 1510ELPM. The box is in good shape with no seal leaks and the PID is set to 300 with a constant "OUT" light but the internal temp near the top of the smoker never gets above 235 according to the Auber sensor and another oven thermometer. The manual says it can heat up to 275 so probably higher since I bypass the control unit. It took 24 hours to get a 10 lb brisket flat to 175. Do heating elements wear out and not heat as well over time?
I am wondering the same, I have a smokey hollow (basically an mes) with an inkbird pid and it also does not seem to get to temp.

Start with how it's set up . Is it in PID mode or on off mode .
My guess is PID and the settings need to be adjusted .
So figure out how to access the settings ( Cliff ) and see what it says .
Auber lock code for setting adjustment is 166 .
So push and hold the set button . Then enter the value of 166 . It will take you through the values of the letters .
P , then I , then D .
P is in degrees that it comes out of full power . So if set to 200 and P=10 it starts stepping down at 190 .
I controls over run on heat up
D controls recovery .
A starting point might be ,
P=5
I=200
D=200 .

Reactions: clifish
box is in good shape with no seal leaks and the PID is set to 300 with a constant "OUT" light but the internal temp near the top of the smoker never gets above 235
You could also be kicking out on the high limit switch . Don't set it that high . It will just cause you problems . Run the Auber to long in that situation will cause it to go into an open loop . Try setting it to 250 and see what it does . If you have the same results I would think the controller is in a open loop .

So a couple of questions.

Where do you have your Auber temp probe located in the smoker?

Also have you checked your safety overheat switch to see if it's wearing out?

I think you might be hitting temp over heat limit. Like it hits a hot temp and then the switch cuts it off and then it drops low and heats up and the overheat switch catches it again.

I wanted to give an update on this in case anyone is having the same problem in the future. I finally got a replacement heating element from Masterbuilt and it fixed the problem. I didn't change the PID settings or replace anything else. The new one gets red hot and the PID keeps it where ever I set it. The old one would heat up but I guess they can deteriorate and it wasn't able to maintain a temp.

I wanted to give an update on this in case anyone is having the same problem in the future. I finally got a replacement heating element from Masterbuilt and it fixed the problem. I didn't change the PID settings or replace anything else. The new one gets red hot and the PID keeps it where ever I set it. The old one would heat up but I guess they can deteriorate and it wasn't able to maintain a temp.
Thanks for the update!
The element seems to be an uncommon part to fail but as you see it happens every once in a blue moon.
Glad you are up and running and everything is working as it should :D

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky