Masterbuilt Smokers (Bear’s Thoughts & Findings)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yes, that is a Gen #2, and those are the mods you should do, IMHO.
As for other problems, I don't think the Gen #2 is any worse than the others, such as Trouble with a bad control unit, or a heating element going bad. Those kind of problems would call for contacting a guy here known as tallbm tallbm . He could tell you your other answers to your questions.

Where are you located?
I have a Gen #1 and a Gen #2, that I'm giving away for Free, but you have to come here to pick it up. (Macungie, PA) : Click below:

Bear

Hi there, I have shot at buying a 20075315 for $70 used, which I see is the 40" Gen 2. Based on the info here, I'd need to remove the slanted drip plate, remove the water tray, put in the bottom rack and toss a 9x12 foil water / drip pan on it. That sounds fine but I'm wondering if there is anyone that could help me figure out what I need to be wary of with this unit, used.

I've seen a lot of talk about putting a PID on it and I see those are about $150. Do the heating elements often need to be replaced too? If so, can someone tell me the cost there? And do any of those mods need to be soldered, because I have no experience or tools to do that.

Guess I'm just wondering if I'd just be better off buying a new one or if this is actually a good deal for $70 used.

View attachment 502551
View attachment 502552
View attachment 502553
Hi there and welcome!

As long as the unit runs you should be OK. The major failure areas are the electrical connectors that connect the wires to the heating element and the safety rollout limit switch. That's a $7 order on Amazon to get hi temp connectors if needed and that problem would be solved.

If you want to go the PID route its a simple rewire where you cut 4 wire ends and splice together to make 2connected wires. At that point the wiring skips the controller on the MES and feeds power directly to the heating element hence the need for a PID controller to now cut power on/off.

I always say the best MES is a free one or a used one for like $40-$50 rewired with a $150 Auber PID slapped on it. Will outperform 100x over anything masterbuilt makes brand new :)

Reactions: diversification
Yes, that is a Gen #2, and those are the mods you should do, IMHO.
As for other problems, I don't think the Gen #2 is any worse than the others, such as Trouble with a bad control unit, or a heating element going bad. Those kind of problems would call for contacting a guy here known as tallbm tallbm . He could tell you your other answers to your questions.

Where are you located?
I have a Gen #1 and a Gen #2, that I'm giving away for Free, but you have to come here to pick it up. (Macungie, PA) : Click below:

Bear
Unfortunately I'm over on Lake Erie about an hour south of Buffalo, which puts me about 6 hours from you, but that's very cool of you to offer, so thanks!

Appreciate the information as well! Happy 4th!

Hi there and welcome!

As long as the unit runs you should be OK. The major failure areas are the electrical connectors that connect the wires to the heating element and the safety rollout limit switch. That's a $7 order on Amazon to get hi temp connectors if needed and that problem would be solved.

If you want to go the PID route its a simple rewire where you cut 4 wire ends and splice together to make 2connected wires. At that point the wiring skips the controller on the MES and feeds power directly to the heating element hence the need for a PID controller to now cut power on/off.

I always say the best MES is a free one or a used one for like $40-$50 rewired with a $150 Auber PID slapped on it. Will outperform 100x over anything masterbuilt makes brand new :)
Ok I think maybe I'll offer him a bit less than $70. But honestly, in my area, 40" units just don't really come up very much, so I may just see go for it regardless. Thank you so much for the info!

Reactions: tallbm
Good evening Bear,

I've been reading through your posts and trying to find a 2.5, but I can't find one anywhere. I did find this one, which looks similar. What do you think of it? Thank you!

Good evening Bear,

I've been reading through your posts and trying to find a 2.5, but I can't find one anywhere. I did find this one, which looks similar. What do you think of it? Thank you!

I like it, Darko!!!
Inside looks just like the Gen #2.5.
The only possible problem I can see by eye is the top vent is on the right, instead of the left. You won't know if that is a problem, without trying it a few times. If it is a problem, putting a new vent in the top left could fix that, but like I said, it might not be a problem.
My old Gen #1 had that problem, and I just put in a "Heat Deflector" (piece of aluminum), and that solved it.

Bear

I like it, Darko!!!
The only possible problem I can see by eye is the top vent is on the right, instead of the left. You won't know if that is a problem, without trying it a few times. If it is a problem, putting a new vent in the top left could fix that, but like I said, it might not be a problem.
My old Gen #1 had that problem, and I just put in a "Heat Deflector" (piece of aluminum), and that solved it.

Bear

Thank you very much for the quick response, very helpful! Have a great day.

I like it, Darko!!!

Bear

I have one more to ask you about. This one has vents on both sides and looks like the 2.5 inside. What do you think? I'm leaning to this one because of the vents.

I have one more to ask you about. This one has vents on both sides and looks like the 2.5 inside. What do you think? I'm leaning to this one because of the vents.

I've never seen this one in person---It's relatively new to the Stable.
That Broiler sounds interesting, but it could also be just one more thing to go wrong.
I don't like an MES 30---I already had one. My first one was an MES 30, and I only had it one year, before I got one big enough to do the jobs needed.

That's about all I can say. Sorry I don't know any more about it.

Bear

Last edited:
Reactions: darko886
I've never seen this one in person---It's relatively new to the Stable.
That Broiler sounds interesting, but it could also be just one more thing to go wrong.
I don't like an MES 30---I already had one. My first one was an MES 30, and I only had it one year, before I got one big enough to do the jobs needed.

That's about all I can say. Sorry I don't know any more about it.

Bear

Sorry to keep asking questions. This is a 30" but the person told me they have a 40" for sale too. The vent is on the left but the tray looks like one of the older models. Any input on it? They're selling it for only $50. Thank you again, I hope to buy one this week and stop bothering you 😄

Attachments

• D0CBE036-2B05-4FC7-8DDB-9749664C190A.png
    D0CBE036-2B05-4FC7-8DDB-9749664C190A.png
    372.2 KB · Views: 10
  • AA30F370-1A9E-4979-82B5-E2E8360CD1DB.png
    AA30F370-1A9E-4979-82B5-E2E8360CD1DB.png
    377.1 KB · Views: 11
  • FF0DFBD8-D4F2-4810-AFE6-BE95FD7AD3F2.png
    FF0DFBD8-D4F2-4810-AFE6-BE95FD7AD3F2.png
    410.3 KB · Views: 10
Sorry to keep asking questions. This is a 30" but the person told me they have a 40" for sale too. The vent is on the left but the tray looks like one of the older models. Any input on it? They're selling it for only $50. Thank you again, I hope to buy one this week and stop bothering you 😄

Personally I'd go with a 40" unit.
If it looks like this one and runs then the price is golden for $50-70.
If it has bents on both sides you just keep the right side vent closed and you are good.
If the vent is only on the top right side still fine because that price can't be beat.

Again I'm with Bear. I wouldn't bother with a 30" and I would only go with a 40" unit.

Personally I'd go with a 40" unit.
If it looks like this one and runs then the price is golden for $50-70.
If it has bents on both sides you just keep the right side vent closed and you are good.
If the vent is only on the top right side still fine because that price can't be beat.

Again I'm with Bear. I wouldn't bother with a 30" and I would only go with a 40" unit.
Awesome, thank you for the advice. I'll definitely go for the 40" if it's the same.

Like tallbm tallbm said, I'd stay away from the 30" MES.
However that 40" looks to be a Newer Gen #2, with the top vent on the left, so it might not need any mods. If the right side is still hotter than the left, all you would have to do is "Delete" that stupid slanted drip pan & little water pan.
Then put the bottom rack in place & put a 9 X 12 Foil pan on it for drippings.
Then you can put your AMNPS on the right end of that bottom Rack.

So Yes---I would grab that MES 40.

PS: Your questions don't bother me!!

Bear

Finally got the MES 40 😁 thank you all for your help. I do have another question though. I can get the Auber WS-1200CPH or WSD-1203CPH in my area for a decent price. Would either work for the MES 40 or should I be looking for another model?

Finally got the MES 40 😁 thank you all for your help. I do have another question though. I can get the Auber WS-1200CPH or WSD-1203CPH in my area for a decent price. Would either work for the MES 40 or should I be looking for another model?

Somebody else will have to help you with that one.
I never had to get one of those. The ones I used worked great with the stock control.
I planned on getting one, if needed, but it never came to that. tallbm tallbm and a bunch of other guys can answer that question better than I can.
I wouldn't go for it, unless you aren't happy with the built in control.
"Tallbm" should be there soon------

Bear

Nice!!

Personally I would not get any 1200series Auber. They are rated up to 12Amps 1440watts but the MES40 is supposed to be a 1200watt element.
90% of 1440watts puts you at a 1296watt capacity which is too close for my comfort should the either of those models actually not be able to handle 90% of their stated limit.

The following model is rated up to 15Amps 1800 watts and should easily handle your MES40. It's the one I always recommend and people generally go with so they don't have any electronic failures or overheating due to the power demand ( WS-1510ELPM ), get with Multipurpose Probe:
$149.50

If you were using an MES30 then the two Aubers your mentioned would be fine BUT people very very often get tired of the small size of an MES30 and upgrade to an MES40. Then they would have the dilema that their Auber PID might be too weak or burn out on em if it can't really handle the MES40 power requirments.

This way with a WS-1510ELPM it's buy once cry once with the confidence that it works and you can just focus on making amazing BBQ because a PID rewired MES pretty much cannot have it's performance beat.

I hope this info helps :)

Thank you both for all the help. Last question before I smoke for the first time - do you keep water in the water pan, or run it dry?

Thank you both for all the help. Last question before I smoke for the first time - do you keep water in the water pan, or run it dry?

No water to any other liquid ever touches my MES Water Pans!!!
The MES units are insulated so good that there is already too much humidity in them.
It makes no sense to add water when there is already too much humidity there.
I just wrap my water pan in foil to make it easier to clean, when it get too messed up from Drippings, and put it in place.
If using a foil pan in place of the actual water pan, just toss it & replace it when it gets too covered with Drippings.

Bear

Reactions: tallbm
No water to any other liquid ever touches my MES Water Pans!!!
The MES units are insulated so good that there is already too much humidity in them.
It makes no sense to add water when there is already too much humidity there.
I just wrap my water pan in foil to make it easier to clean, when it get too messed up from Drippings, and put it in place.
If using a foil pan in place of the actual water pan, just toss it & replace it when it gets too covered with Drippings.

Bear

Thank you! I just tested it out and the left and right side are evenly heated, however I'm getting 10 degree temperature swings (when set to 250 I'm getting 253-263). Is that to be expected and is it a big deal?

Thank you! I just tested it out and the left and right side are evenly heated, however I'm getting 10 degree temperature swings (when set to 250 I'm getting 253-263). Is that to be expected and is it a big deal?

A 10° swing is actually quite good.
Was that with the MES Read-out, or was that with an accurate Wireless set?
If it was with an accurate therm, and you want it to be 250°, just set it at 242°.
That way it should cycle between 245° and 255°, so the average will be 250°.

If that was from your MES Read-out, that means it was taken from the sensor on the back wall, just below center. (Looks like a little toggle switch)
If you want accuracy, get a set of wireless Therms, and put a sensor "Probe" where you will put your meat. Then adjust it to get the temp you want in that area. I always favored #2 rack (Second rack down from the top).

Note: When shooting for a particular Temp, watch a couple cycles. Then note the High & the Low. The center of that cycle is to be considered the Temp your meat is in.

I hope that helps. Any questions, PM me.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky