Masterbuilt/SMF Contest - MES-40 Up for Grabs!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Smoked Dessert Pizza

Dessert Pizza is an all ages crowd favorite. You can use the kind of candy / candy bars that each person likes, it is an inexpensive item to cook, EVERYONE likes it (even my crumb-snatchers), it's quick, and it can be made on a smoker, a gas grill (indirect heat), or the oven BUT would be PERFECT on a MES-40!!!

Simple ingredients - canned pizza dough and candy.

I use classic or thin crust pre-made pizza dough - usually right by the biscuits in a can in the refrigerated section of your local grocery store. You can use the bulk dough or frozen dough or get dough from your local pizza shop but the canned dough is so convenient and really really easy to use.

Get your favorite candy, candy bars, some small marsh mellows, chocolate syrup, and a few graham crackers.

Dice up the candy bars. I usually have each person chop up their own and get it ready on a paper plate with the marsh mellows. You can also add diced strawberries or other fruit too.

I spread out the dough from one can and form the dough to a single piece about 9" x 16" and then cut it into 8 or so pieces. Put the pieces on the grate - I usually have the grate temp at about 350 F - making sure they are stretched out. Cook them for about 5 minutes or until the bottom is getting brown and a little crispy.

Flip them over and add some chocolate sauce. This step is not mandatory but it can't hurt.
66623cf7_SL374906.jpg

Sprinkle on the prepared toppings - don't be shy!  Now sprinkle on the crushed graham cracker over the top.

a9a06ada_SL374911.jpg

Cook for another 5 minutes or until the candy starts to melt. You don't want it to completely melt but the candy will be softer than it looks. Set it on the counter for a few minutes so you don't burn the roof of your mouth with molten chocolate (don't ask how I know this) and EAT!   
82c55fbd_SL374920.jpg

Thanks for looking!

I have made this fatty several times and it is always a hit with friends and family.  The recipe will be posted at the end.

Using a gallon zip lock roll out good ground meat about 1/4 inch thick.  The zip lock will make rolling easier at the end.  Sautee mushrooms, onion, and basil, salt, and black pepper then remove from heat and let cool.  Cut the ziplock along the 2 sides to use later to roll the fatty.  Spread the above mixture evenly on the sheet of burger.

5d8b91f5_cheesburger1.jpg

Spread a layer of sun dried tomatoes and then follow up with a layer of cheese.

ffd01fde_cheesberger2.jpg

fa58edc6_cheeseburger4.jpg

On plastic wrap create a bacon weave,  After rolling the fatty log, place onto the bacon and use the plastic wrap as an aid like the ziplock to roll the weave onto the bacon.  

495658b8_cheeseburger5.jpg

f918bb02_cheeseburger6.jpg

Place on your smoker at 225F until internal temp reaches 165F.

49ee5282_cheeseburer7.jpg

What it looks like.

e0af05bc_cheesburer8.jpg

cd38b24c_cheeseburer9.jpg

Sammies made of Pistolettes and chipolte mayo with a ceasar side salad. 

a2ba64bc_cheeseburger10.jpg

What you need:

1 lb ground meat

1/2 cup sliced mushrooms

1/4 cup diced onions

1 cup shredded cheddar or cheese of choice

Sea Salt to taste

Sundried tomatoes

1 1/2 lbs bacon strips

basil to taste

crack black pepper to taste

1/2 cup good mayo and 1 TBS chipolte sauce mixed.

Pistolettes or other good bread

A Ceasar Salad of your choice

Last edited:
Smoked/Fried Chicken wings

What you will need:

1 package of whole chicken wings

3 Little Pigs Kansas City Sweet rub

1 bottle Veggie Oil (could be more or less, depending on the size of your fryer)

1 stick butter

honey to taste

1 cup of Texas Pete hot sauce (or your favorite hot sauce - Tobasco, Louisiana, etc.)

Prep:

Begin by seperating the drummettes from the rest of the wing.  I like to leave the non-drummete part whole, so that you have a "handle" while you eat

Pat the chicken wings dry.  There shouldn't be much moisture, but you want the rub to stick to the skin, so we need to get rid of the excess.

Apply a generous coating of rub.  Flip the wings over and rub the other side as well.

Cooking:

Get your smoker up to temp (225*), and place wings on the smoker.

Smoke for 1.5-2 hours until done.

I don't rest wings much, but take them out of the smoker, then let them rest while you are filling up your fryer and getting it up to temp (375*).  It's important to note that 350* will work, but I like to start at 375* so that when I add the food, if the oil cools it stays hot enough that I can quickly move on to the next batch.

Place 5 wing pieces into the fryer for 1.5 minutes.  The chicken is done.  What we're doing here is just crisping the skin, not cooking the wing, so you do not need to go any longer.  If you have a large fryer, then you could do 6 pieces, but the key is to not crowd the fryer.  That will only cool the oil quicker, slowing down this process.

When frying is done, move to a cooling rack with a pan underneath, or a paper towel on a plate to drain oil, and repeat process until all wings are fried.

Sauce:

While the wings are smoking, I like to make my sauce, generally around the 1:15 mark.  This will keep the sauce hot, but make sure it's ready when you need to sauce your wings.

Place hot sauce, butter, and honey into a small sauce pan and heat over low heat until butter is melted and everything is mixed together well.

As far as the amount of honey, that depends on how spicy you like your sauce.  I've found that if I squeeze the bear for a "3 count" I get the amount that my family prefers.  However, if I'm making them for myself or the guys, then I will either give it a "1 count" or maybe even no honey at all.

Saucing:

Place sauce in a large bowl, and then the wings on top of them.  Move bowl in a "tossing" motion to toss the wings in the sauce.  You may need to get your hands in there and mix them a little, but in my experience if you use a big enough bowl you can just toss them and coat them sufficiently.

Serving:

If by the time you've got them sauced, you don't have hands reaching in to grab them, then serve them up on a bed of lettuce, with plenty of ranch or blue cheese, and maybe some celery. 

Bon Apetit!!

This is my recipe, hope ya'll like it.

SMOKED STUFFED DOVE

-3 whole doves, cleaned

-1 pkg thick cut bacon

-1 1/2oz. cream cheese, softened

-3 oz mozzarella cheese

- 2 fresh jalapeno peppers, cut in half length-wise and seeded

-1 tsp salt

-1 tsp pepper

-1 tsp garlic powder

-1 tsp cumin

-1 tsp chili powder

-toothpicks

Mix all of the dry spices together.

Stuff each dove with 1 oz of mozzarella, 1/2 oz of cream cheese and half of a jalapeno.

Sprinkle each stuffed dove with the spice mixture and rub it on even.

Then wrap dove with a slice of bacon and secure with toothpicks.

Set your Masterbuilt Smoker temp to 225deg. And time to 1hr 30min. Smoke with pecan or try peach wood.

Check birds after 1 1/2hrs. for doness. Recipe can be doubled or tripled, but you may want to cut down on the

amount of chili powder if  multiplied.

Just a reminder for those interested:

To enter the contest, simply post your very own favorite smoking recipe on this thread and then go to the Masterbuilt facebook  page and hit "like."    

Good luck, everyone, and keep posting!  
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

NOTE:  Qview is always nice, in keeping with the SMF tradition, but is not necessary to enter the contest.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff, I have a couple questions for the contest

Questions for Contest:

1.  If I post my recipe, but am already "Like" on Masterbuilt, can I still enter the contest?

2.  How is the winner chosen and by who?

3.  Do pics increase my chances of winning?

4.  What's the last day we can enter?

THANKS!

Todd

Since it seems more than one recipe is allowed or may be allowed according to Jeff I will jump back in with a great way to used leftover smoked meat and since it is winter the timing is right!

No pics on this one but I have made it many many times over the years.  Feel free to copy it but If you post this to this thread you have to give me half the smoker if ya win!  LOL  This recipe was generated by the new software recipe book several of us are looking at.  It is my recipe just from the software.

Shooters Smoked South Western  Chili

1 1/2 lbs brisket smoked
1 large yellow onion, peeled and chopped
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
4 tsp minced garlic
2 Tbs chili powder
1 Tbs Cajun spice ( I use Tonys or Zatarans)
2 tsp ground cumin

2 Tbs unsweetened cocoa powder 
1/4 tsp cayenne
1 (15 ounce) can whole canned tomatoes
1 large can tomato juice
1 15oz jar Picante sauce
1 tsp sugar
1 cup beer
1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
1 can (15 oz) chili beans

1. Add to large sauce pan  the meat and stir to break up the pieces.

2. Add the onion, green bell pepper, garlic, chili powder,Cajun season, salt, cumin, cocoa and cayenne, and cook, stirring, until soft, about 4 minutes. Put the whole tomatoes in a large mixing bowl and squeeze them with your hands to break them into pieces.

3. Add the squeezed tomatoes and their juices, Picante,the tomato paste, sugar, and beer to the pot.

4. Stir well and bring to a boil.

5. Lower the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for one hour, stirring occasionally.

6. Serve with cheese, crackers, or however you like.

Servings: 8

Nutrition Facts
Serving size: 1/8 of a recipe (7.9 ounces).
Percent daily values based on the Reference Daily Intake (RDI) for a 2000 calorie diet.
Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients. One of the recipe's ingredients was not linked. This ingredient is not included in the recipe nutrition data.

Amount Per Serving
Calories 102.47
Calories From Fat (26%) 26.42
% Daily Value
Total Fat 3g 5%
Saturated Fat 0.7g 4%
Cholesterol 3.61mg 1%
Sodium 701.67mg 29%
Potassium 551.17mg 16%
Total Carbohydrates 15.48g 5%
Fiber 3.19g 13%
Sugar 7.6g
Protein 4.06g 8%

Last edited:
 This is an ORIGINAL recipe from our friend LarJo.  It not from any website.                        

Summer Sausage

5 lbs. of lean hamburger

2 Tbs. Morton sugar cure         

5 tsp. [Rounded] Morton Tender Quick

2 tsp. Mustard seed

2 tsp. Liquid smoke [Opt.]

2 tsp. Peppercorns

1 tsp. Garlic powder

2 tsp. Course pepper

2 tsp. Crushed Red Pepper

Mix: Place all ingredients in a sealable plastic container

And place in the refrigerator for 3 days mixing twice daily.

Form into 2 in. Diameter rolls and put in a broiler pan.

Bake at 250 deg. For 5 hrs. turning every hr.

I put mine in the smokehouse for about 8hrs. until the internal meat temp. reaches a min. of 160 deg.   Depending on the smokehouse you may have to place it in the oven to get it to 160 deg. After smoking.
  • For game meat[Deer, Elk, Coyote, ect.] use 4# of meat mixed with 1# of Ground pork, sausage, bacon, whatever.
This makes a delicious sausage I know you will enjoy!!

Last edited:
Pork Roast with Indian Spices

Meat:  6-8 pound boston butt

In a spice blender, combine:

4 star anise

1 teaspoon of cumin

1 teaspoon of coriander

1/2 teaspoon of cardamom seeds

1/2 teaspoon of black peppercorns

Grind together and add:

1 teaspoon of tumeric

1/2 teaspoon of ground red chile

1 teaspoon of salt

Add 4 tablespoons of canola or other neutral oil to the spice mixture.  Coat the pork roast with the spice/oil blend, cover with plastic wrap and return it to the refrigerator for 12-24 hours.

Soak a combination of apple and hickory chips.  Preheat MES to 225F.  Smoke until the internal temperature reaches at least 160F and the meat appears tender.  Wrap in foil and let rest for 20-30 minutes.  If you need to let it rest longer, wrap and put inside a cooler with towels to insulate.

Serve, sliced thin, with this sauce:

Spicy Yogurt Sauce

1 cup whole milk yogurt (unsweetened.)

1 garlic clove, minced

1/2 teaspoon of tumeric

1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin

1/2 teaspoon of ground cardamom

1 teaspoon of salt

Sarah Wesch

Beer's Favorite Ribs (My Own Recipe)

Ingredients:
  • 2 large slabs of Spare Ribs (Fresh Preferred)
  • Jalapeno Wasabi Sauce (Available from http://www.originaljuan.com/ )
  • Hammond Gator's Cooter Rub (if not available use your favorite rub)
  • Chipotle Powder (I use Pain Is Good Brand available @ http://www.originaljuan.com/ any brand is Okay)
Preparation:
  • Remove Membrane From Slabs
  • Coat Slabs with Jalapeno Wasabi Sauce
  • Then Coat Both Slabs with Hammond Gator's Cooter Rub
  • Add Pain Is Good Chipotle Powder (Use Carefully According to the Heat Level You Like)
  • Wrap Slabs In Plastic Wrap and place in Refrigerator Overnight.
Directions:
  • Using my A-MAZE-N-SMOKER and Hickory Dust
  • We smoked for 5hrs @250º
The ribs were extremely tender and the the Jalapeno Wasabi and Chipotle Powder gave a nice bite to it.
I DO NOT FOIL MY RIBS, You can if you wish using the 3-2-1 method.

Remove Membrane From Ribs

Coat Ribs with Jalapeno Wasabi Sauce and

Then Hammond Gator's Cooter Rub and Pain Is Good Chipotle Powder

Wrap in Plastic Wrap and Place in Refrigerator Overnight.

Finished Ribs

Cut View

Last edited:
OK... one more since the rule change...

Here's my take on the ABT.

Ingredients:
  • 12 jalapenos split and "canoed"
  • 8oz onion & chive cream cheese
  • 4oz sour cream
  • 1/2 cup shredded colby & cheddar cheese
  • liberal black pepper
  • pinch of kosher salt
  • garlic powder
  • bacon (I've found that thinner is better here)
First, mix all ingredients together (well, except for the peppers and bacon) and place into a freezer bag or piping bag of your choice. I usually do this the night before and allow time for everything to marry together.

Split and de-seed/de-vein the peppers

Pipe the filling into the peppers and then lay a slice of bacon across the top. You can wrap and toothpick full slices, but I prefer to cut the strips of bacon and then lay it over the peppers like a blanket.

One hour (or so) at 275 (or so) with a few hunks of hickory and you're good to go. 

Enjoy!

87fa7b78_fire_meaney.gif
This sounds like a great contest with a great prize.

Here is my recipe for pork ribs. I have a cheap Brinkmann vertical two door upright charcoal smoker. I replaced the charcoal pan with a mini kettle grill. I replaced the legs of the grill with bolts so it would fit in the smoker. I use the 3-2-1 method to cook my ribs. Trim ribs, then apply:

Dry Rub Memphis Style-
4 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon dry mustard

Fire up the smoker to a temp of about 225. Cook ribs for 3 hours. After 3 hours wrap the ribs in foil and return to the smoker for 2 hours. After 2 hours are up remove the ribs from the foil  and apply your favorite BBQ sauce. Return ribs to the smoker for one hour. After the final hour serve the ribs with more sauce on the side for those that want it and some store bought or homemade coleslaw .

Enjoy

Tri Tip

The hardest thing about smoking a tri tip is going to a butcher shop to order one

All it takes is a pinch of kosher salt, a pinch of coarse ground pepper, a pinch of garlic powder, and a splash of apple juice

5a55de1d_Ingredients.jpg

The tri tips are nicely marbled, but other than that not much of a fat cap on them, which is why I thought I should add a splash of apple juice to them.

f507b8dc_3PiecesofHickory.jpg

I decided to try 3 pieces of hickory for the smoke.  

751af193_Readytoeat.jpg

This tri tip is the one that was on the top shelf by itself. As you can see it was cooked to medium and very tender and juicy.

The two on the second shelf were medium rare. All three were tender and quite tasty.  

Prep time about 10 minutes

Smoke time 2 hours 45 minutes at 225and an internal temp of 145.

Held in the smoker at 140⁰ for 30 minutes then I wrapped the meat in foil and let it rest at room temperature for 20 minutes 

I collected the juices from the pans in a sauce pan and brought them to a boil and served it as Au jus

Tri tips area huge success with our dinner guests.

Some ate their tri tip naked.

Some ate their tri tip with the Au Jus.

Some ate their tri tip with Jeff’s “Goodness Gracious Sakes Alive” Barbecue Sauce

One innovative person spooned on the Au Jus and took the Jeff’s “Goodness Gracious Sakes Alive” Barbecue Sauce on the side for dipping.

No matter how they ate their tri tip it received rave reviews.

After everyone went home and we were putting things away my wife even gave me permission to do this one again.  

Last edited:
My Take on Smoked Apples

1 cup brown sugar

1 stick butter

1 TBS Cinnamon

6 Granny Smith Apples

2 Aluminum Pie Plates

1/2 cup of apple wood chips

Soften Butter then mix with sugar and cinnamon set aside.  Core 6 apples leaving the bottoms in tack to work like a holding cup. Fill apples with butter sugar mix and place on aluminum pie pans.

Set your smoker to 275 and bring to a smoke using apple wood chips.

Set apples in smoker for 45 minutes to one hour depending on the tenderness you desire in the apple.  Serve apple with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream.

This is simple and delicious.  I recommend you use a clean water pan in your smoker if you have a water pan or the apples may get a pork/drippings flavor.

56e3d85e_2010-06-06185133_Spring_Texas_US.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: fathomthis
This is an oldie of mine but goody.  I assume I can cut and paste my own work.  If not then let me know.  LOL

If you don't like a strong cheddar flavour substitute a milder cheese. Hope you enjoy!

ShooterRicks Cheddar Jack Beer Bacon Soup

In Acorn Squash Bowls With Parmesan Crisps and French Bread

Soup Ingredients:
2 cans cream of Celery Soup
1 cup beer
8 ounces Cheddar cheese
8 ounces Monterey Jack cheese
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
¼ tsp Hungarian or Spanish paprika

Other Ingredients:
8 slices diced Smoked Canadian Bacon
4 cloves garlic
2 shallots halved or substitute green onions
2 whole large acorn squash
Dehydrated Parmesan grated (fresh Parmesan will not work in this application)
8 diagonal slices French bread
Salt and Pepper to taste

In a Dutch oven combine soup ingredients. Place in 250 degree smoker and stir occasionally for 3 hours. Remove lid of Dutch oven last 30-60 minutes depending on desired smoke flavor.

Once the soup is on the smoker prepare squash by 1st cutting flat surface at top and bottom of the squash and then cutting squash in half. Scoop out seeds and enough pulp to create 2 bowls out of each squash. Salt and pepper to taste and place piece of shallot, smashed garlic clove, and 2 slices dice Canadian bacon, into each bowl. Place bowls on cookie sheet and then into smoker till squash is fork tender.

When all is on smoker prepare parmesan crisps: In a dry non stick type skillet spread grated parmesan in about a 2-3 inch wafer thick wheel and toast until golden brown on high heat. Turn over and toast other side. Set 4 wafers aside.

Butter and toast bread slices seasoned with garlic and parmesan cheese to your liking. Stir the filling of all squash bowls into soup. Fill the Acorn squash bowls with the soup and garnish with Parmesan wafer, slice bread, paprika or whatever trips your trigger.

Note: the squash seeds can be toasted for a garnish or treat. Add broccoli or whatever variation you dream up. This can all be done indoors if you wish but will not have the smoke flavor except from the bacon. If only soup is prepared add shallots, garlic, and Canadian bacon to soup ingredients. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky