• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Masterbuilt Propane Smoker vents

wklkjn

Smoke Blower
Joined Jun 29, 2016
I've got another question.  (of course).

My Masterbuilt, 2-door smoker has (2) round vents for incoming air - one on opposite sides down low.

It also has the vent at the very top back of the unit.

I've not yet figured out what I'm supposed to do as a general rule?

I play with the vent openings, but quite frankly, I have no idea what I'm doing.

Do I open the 2 bottom side vents all the way, all the time and keep the top exhaust vent almost closed?

Thanks!!!!

jasper7

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Mar 14, 2013

I've got another question.  (of course).

keep the top exhaust vent almost closed?
No, keep top vent open, at least 50% but 100% is better.  Smoke circulation is necessary to keep creosote from forming on your food.  Bottom vents provide oxygen to your burner and smoking wood, so they should be open as well.  Hope this helps.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
I keep all the vents open 100% on my propane smoker.

Control the temp with the burner control.

Al

hillbilly jim

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Apr 13, 2015
I've got the 44 inch propane model and had the same problem. The four slots that make up the exhaust vent equate to a hole diameter of 2, 1/2 inches. that's not nearly enough. 

I installed a 6 inch double male stove pipe with a damper in it. I have more than enough draft now.

kazoo

Joined Aug 23, 2016
Jim,

Where did you purchase the 6 inch double male stove pipe with a damper?  I've looked practically everywhere on line for it.

Thanks.

meatstick

Smoke Blower
Joined Feb 10, 2014

Jim,

Where did you purchase the 6 inch double male stove pipe with a damper?  I've looked practically everywhere on line for it.

Thanks.
Kazoo, any luck finding the stove pipe with damper yet?

jason stump

Joined Dec 26, 2016

Jim,

Thanks.
I'm just speculating here, but I'm thinking he used these two parts to make the damper. (Searched the part number on his piece)

http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/16725/products/Stove-Pipe-Dampers.html?d_id=65642

http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/16...-Stove-Pipe-Crimped-Both-Ends.html?d_id=65642

Hope this helped if you didn't find one.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.