Masterbuilt Pro Dual Fuel - New Hose Regulator leak?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bbyf16

Original poster
Dec 5, 2018
Hi guys, got the masterbuilt last month and have done a few smokes and am generally quite pleased with the results. I'm able to maintain temp (160-180 for salmon) with a little fiddling on the oem regulator (between low and medium low).

I thought I'd get the Bayou Classic M5HPR (1-10 psi) hose with regulator that everyone keeps talking about. So the installed it but unscrewing the factory hose and putting in the Bayou hose and I'm getting bubbles when I do the soap test (a lot of big bubbles).
Key point: I'm not using the Bayou connector that came with it but the masterbuilt connecter.
Why?: The masterbuilt one almost seems like its welded on, I tried unscrewing it with a wrench but it wouldn't budge. Could I force it off, probably. But I figured, why mess with a good thing which seems to have a good seal (so I re-tightened it (in case I managed to minutely move it).

So, my question is, how can I attach the bayou hose and connector while keeping the oem connector but not have a leak. I wasn't sure if I could use teflon tape on a grill. Thanks for any advice you can give.

Also, I'm looking for suggestions on what I can do to improve my smoker or if I even should.
1.) I've put a 10" cast iron on top of the chips plate in the bottom of the smoker and use kingsford wood chunks. Get a mix of blue and white smoke.
2.) Had smoke coming out the door so I sealed it with Lavalock High Performance Seal. It wouldn't self stick despite the claims so I used Lavalock RTV 650 Silicon as a glue between the gasket and smoker.

Hi guys, got the masterbuilt last month and have done a few smokes and am generally quite pleased with the results. I'm able to maintain temp (160-180 for salmon) with a little fiddling on the oem regulator (between low and medium low).

I thought I'd get the Bayou Classic M5HPR (1-10 psi) hose with regulator that everyone keeps talking about. So the installed it but unscrewing the factory hose and putting in the Bayou hose and I'm getting bubbles when I do the soap test (a lot of big bubbles).
Key point: I'm not using the Bayou connector that came with it but the masterbuilt connecter.
Why?: The masterbuilt one almost seems like its welded on, I tried unscrewing it with a wrench but it wouldn't budge. Could I force it off, probably. But I figured, why mess with a good thing which seems to have a good seal (so I re-tightened it (in case I managed to minutely move it).

So, my question is, how can I attach the bayou hose and connector while keeping the oem connector but not have a leak. I wasn't sure if I could use teflon tape on a grill. Thanks for any advice you can give.

Also, I'm looking for suggestions on what I can do to improve my smoker or if I even should.
1.) I've put a 10" cast iron on top of the chips plate in the bottom of the smoker and use kingsford wood chunks. Get a mix of blue and white smoke.
2.) Had smoke coming out the door so I sealed it with Lavalock High Performance Seal. It wouldn't self stick despite the claims so I used Lavalock RTV 650 Silicon as a glue between the gasket and smoker.

Get the teflon tape for gas it should work.
Richie

Could be different threads... check that out...
it screws on fine without any resistance. It's almost as if the length isn't long enough so there's a gap = not a complete seal (if that makes sense)

it screws on fine without any resistance. It's almost as if the length isn't long enough so there's a gap = not a complete seal (if that makes sense)

The taper of the two may be different. Remember you are trying to mix American threads, with whatever the Chinese are serving up. (Chow mein threads?)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky