Masterbuilt Help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

oxicottin

Original poster
Mar 11, 2007
Hello everyone!! First I wanted to say this forum is very informational I have found more info about smoking on this site than many others I have visited. I have a question about a purchase I wanted to make and needed some help. I have been trying to find out what changes have been made to the masterbuilt smoker for the 2007 model from the older model? I was shopping at Cabalas the other day and was going to pick up the Masterbuilt smoker but wanted to read reviews ect. I have read that the seal on the door is junk but the overall is good. So can anyone please tell me how to identfy the new model from the old one because several stores around me have them but I dont want to get the old/recall small version.

Thanks,
Chad

it's really easy chad, if it has a door latch then it's a new model, also if it has a adjustable vent on top....it's a new model......and actually the door seal has not been an issue at all with mine....others yes, mine no.....you just have to keep in mind to clean it after each use is all, simple wipe down with a damp cloth works......great little units....apparently sam's club is selling a slightly larger unit in stainless but 100 bones more.....as I've been told cabelas is selling the new unit, but check first before you buy......

a side note, the units are not "bigger" then the older model, with the exception of the one model in stainless at sams.....which is about 6 inches bigger. but as I said, if it has the vent, the door latch....it's new, also added was a grease pan on the back and the bottom has a additional tray for grease with a hole for the dump as well.....and of course all the recall stuff added in.....I personally think we can thank marvin (illini) here for making sure all this happend, I really think masterbuilt looked at this site and all his mod's for the new model!!!!

does it show the latch and the vent on the picture on the box? I have see several pictures and some vents are on the side and some are on the top and with no picture of the latch. Even on Materbuilt website. Dicks has a black one for 199 I will have to call about it... Thanks for all the help
icon_mrgreen.gif

I don't remember if it shows on the box or not, I think it did but don't quote me on it....ask them to open the box first before you buy!!! either way the new and old models were priced at 199 out here, and no they never put the vent on the side, I'd seen a similar drawing as you say....but they are all on the top. did I mention these are really great little units????? got mine reseasoning right now after I did the "spring cleaning" on it to clean out ......been using it too much!!!!!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

I will have to just search around! I have the Smokie Mountain 32" gas block and its OK. Its hard to keep it smoking. I have been using it for about 3 years now and still fighting with keeping the smoke rolling. Maybe im doing it wrong? It has three vents, two on the bottom sides and one on the top. Any sugestions?

Thanks,
Chad

you will have to wait for a few of the big block users to help there, as far as I know it's all a game with the vents.....I've given thought to getting one myself, but right now I'm pretty happy with the masterbuilt and it's sufficient for the family and the sausage making that I do now.......in the future maybe not, but right now it does!!!! and honestly the price is right and I honestly believe it's still way better then the bradley units that cost twice as much and stick you wiht the "pucks" and oh yea.....still have magnetic door and all those other problems!!!!!
icon_eek.gif
(but the masterbuilt is pretty much a nobrainer, easy to smoke on...only thing you can do wrong is put too much wood in the chip tray.....gotta learn the thin blue smoke and not let it be puff the magic dragon!!!!, and yes the book for it actually says to use more wood then you have to.......and keep it to chips......sawdust if your doing low temp (below 120).....)

Hi Chad and welcome to the SMF. what kind of wood are you using in your Smoky Mountain chips or chunks,...are you soaking them or not??There are some things you can do but I need to know how your doing it now and not getting the amount of smoke you would like.

When you get a chance why don't you head over to roll call and introduce yourself so folks can give you a nice big welcome.

Smoked told you right
icon_wink.gif

Make them open the box...no vent...no door latch...NO BUY
icon_lol.gif

Don't worry about the size....there is only one other than the pricey and larger one available at some Sam's stores....The stainless steel outside model is no different than the black version other than price....may be worth it if you are going to leave it outside but doubt that logic because you would not want the electronics in the weather either!

I knew you would jump in here the minute I saw you were logged on.....

lady's and gentlemen...marvin, aka illini......my big daddy!!!!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

lol...yeah I guess i'ts true when they say we talk with our hands(type,type,type,) I just hit my 310th post
icon_eek.gif

yea I saw that....still waiting for the little lady to wake back up and yell at me for still being on the site.......but hey, I'm still seasoning the smoker!!!!!
icon_lol.gif

Hello, Will do! I have tried soaking wood chip and using them dry with little luck. I have also tried chips soaked and dry. I had better luck with the dry chips. I turn the gas on high with a full pan of chips "Lid on" and close the side vents to 1/8 open and top 1/2 way open untill I get lots of smoke. I then turn the gas down to Medium to get the temp down to around 215 degree. I place my meat to be smoked in the smoker and open top vent all the way open and adjust side vents to keep heat at right temp and then it slowly quits smoking after a few minutes. Then I have to crank it back up to high to get it rolling again.

That's the nice thing about Mr BUD..... I have a partner in crime when it comes to all things smoked!!!

Smoked... thanks very much for the nomination.

Hello, Will do! I have tried soaking wood chip and using them dry with little luck. I have also tried chips soaked and dry. I had better luck with the dry chips. I turn the gas on high with a full pan of chips "Lid on" and close the side vents to 1/8 open and top 1/2 way open untill I get lots of smoke. I then turn the gas down to Medium to get the temp down to around 215 degree. I place my meat to be smoked in the smoker and open top vent all the way open and adjust side vents to keep heat at right temp and then it slowly quits smoking after a few minutes. Then I have to crank it back up to high to get it rolling again.

honestly, I'm surprised you had not been nominated already!!!!!

little lady loves that i have a hobby that keeps my bp down....but she still has needs I guess
wink.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky