Masterbuilt Gravity Series 800 - one year in

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

HurleyBoysBBQ

Original poster
Mar 22, 2022
I want to start by saying this is my first post, but I have used and loved this site for years!

After a TON of talking about the gravity series and falling in love with the 800 and griddle insert, my wife bought it for me for Christmas 2020. First it showed up busted up like crazy from shipping. Walmart easily just shipped me a new one. I got the grill set up and I could not have been happier with it. Great smoke flavor, seared steaks like no pellet grills could do, and making smash burgers on the griddle was icing on the cake.

My first long smoke was a disaster. I had a HUGE flare up that destroyed my brisket. The grill was cleaned out before doing the smoke, but if any and I mean any fat renders down this thing turns into a ball of flames.

Shortly into using the grill I noticed the fire box looking like it was deteriorating. I did some research on line and found a nice mod kit for around $300 that took care of that and some other issues like drip tray brackets to eliminate flare ups.

Since owning this grill I have had to replace both door safety switches and since that have had to just bypass both. The grill lid switch acts up, sometimes taking a few mins to notice the door is closed so the fan will run. When cooking any food that will render fat you better catch it all in drip pans or it will flame up. The griddle was a really good idea but the change over is kind of a pain in the rear so I rarely use it. I had to spend an extra $300 just to keep it operational for it's first year with the mod kit. Now last night I go to turn it on and it will not do ANYTHING. I contacted masterbuilt and to their credit they are sending me a new controller for free(in a week or two).

I REALLY wanted to love this grill, and I did at first. There are still some things I like about it, but after owning it for a year, i expect way more out of a $1000 investment. I think this grill should have way better quality for the original $700 and not require the mod kit.

Now I have a $1000 grill that I am not happy with and a mad wife that was skeptical about spending so much on it in the first place and zero chance of spending the money to buy a quality replacement for a while. I did not go into the venture as a grill or smoked meats newbie and was s camp chef pellet grill fan for years before getting this thing. Thank God I kept my SmokePro Se to do my briskets, butts, and ribs on.

/yawn.... I posted my thoughts on new people coming in just to bash a product previously. I kinda felt bad poo pooing someone recently but this is exactly why a lot of us just completely ignore the gravity feed threads. I had my 560 for over 3 years and the things been bullet proof. Maybe go buy a WSM /shrug....

all I have to say.jpg

Reactions: bigfurmn
I did not make a post just to bash a brand or anything like that. I only posted my experience to put it out there. This thing was awesome, for a few weeks. Since then it has been far less than "bullet proof". Kinda like owning a boat or a snowmobile, seems like something is wrong every time you want to get it out. I spent 1000 hard earned dollars on something that has operated like a $350 grill. I highly doubt my post, especially being considered new here, will sway too many peoples opinion. But I cannot stress enough how much I wanted to love this grill, ease of a pellet grill and flavor of charcoal, sounded perfect. MINE has been a lemon. I'm glad yours was not a waste of money. I'm not a pot stirrer or a crap talker, I just wanted to share my experience.

/yawn.... I posted my thoughts on new people coming in just to bash a product previously. I kinda felt bad poo pooing someone recently but this is exactly why a lot of us just completely ignore the gravity feed threads. I had my 560 for over 3 years and the things been bullet proof. Maybe go buy a WSM /shrug....

View attachment 622407

New member or old member everyone has the right to have their opinion whether you agree with it or not. He may have gotten a lemon or maybe there was or are some of the 800's that are having some problems. I haven't used charcoal a whole lot and have kind of been thinking I might like a gravity unit so I like reading the good and the bad while I try to figure out if I really want one and which one I'd want to buy

Welcome to the site, I was wanting 1 of these bad and glad I passed 1 up about a year ago at a good price, new equipment has to run awhile in different cooks to find the flaws. I may end up with a new charcoal smoker but it wont be gravity more than likely, fuel hogs and price of charcoal make me question the affordability of running 1 . stick around this is a great site for all kinds and style of cooking. Folks are mighty fine for the most part also.

Welcome to the site, HBBBQ. I'm sorry that you've had problems with your 800. I got a 1050 last Father's day, and I've been very happy with it. I did have one bad flame up the first time I reverse seared steaks with witnesses around, but I got lucky and they were still pretty good. I was really disappointed, but my family ate everything except the plates, so it worked out. I think that the whole "set it and forget it" route is a recipe for disaster, and that you're better off to keep an eye on what's happening in there. The only real mods I've made on mine is to add the sliding vent that klotesmods makes and I got a meater block to monitor my internal temps with. I don't know that it's that much better than the wired probes for the MB, but it's a lot more convenient in that I don't have to mess with the probe wires and the meater probes are easier to clean. I like the meater app better too. Oh yeah, I also added better gaskets for the fire box doors, and that seemed to help as well.

Welcome to SMF from SE Ga !
Hate to hear you had a bad experience with the 800. I've had the 1050 since Christmas 2020 and use it three to four times a week. We've all had the switch issues but I spray mine with contact cleaner in between cooks and I've had very few issues since added that routine maintenance. MB sent me some replacement switches but they are still sitting on the shelf. Never had a control panel issue. I've only had two fires and both of them for a recently. Completely my fault due to laziness not cleaning up after a chicken cook. I always use a rack in a pan or drippings but put the chicken directly on the grill or a little char at the end of the cook. I have also lined the top of the heat manifold with foil to ease the cleanup process. I have done no mods to my unit but have looked at all of them.
MB support has been great and hopefully you will have a good outcome also.

Keith

Reactions: dow
Maybe I just got a bad one. I am glad masterbuilt is sending me a new controller but I think having to wait 7-14 days just for it to ship out shows a lack of caring about my issues and unhappiness. The only positive is that since it's been down I've been going the old fashioned way. Building a fire in the fire pit and making our family dinners over oak and cherry! There ain't a machine out there that's gonna match that flavor.

Maybe I just got a bad one. I am glad masterbuilt is sending me a new controller but I think having to wait 7-14 days just for it to ship out shows a lack of caring about my issues and unhappiness. The only positive is that since it's been down I've been going the old fashioned way. Building a fire in the fire pit and making our family dinners over oak and cherry! There ain't a machine out there that's gonna match that flavor.

Bro, I hear you. Trust me, you are not alone. I acquired a Pit Boss pellet grill and over the course of about a year, I ended up having to replace every mechanical and electrical part on it. Warranties are good, but they are in place for the EXCEPTIONAL case that something goes wrong.

I'm currently looking at the MB because of what it can do, but when I saw one up close I saw China written all over it. I swear, it is a race to the bottom and I would gladly pay an extra couple of hundred if it meant an operational and worry free unit that would last. I don't see that on the display floor though. Go right ahead and call me a snob, I don't care.

I'm glad other buyers had positive experiences with these units. More power to them. Maybe that mirror I broke 6.5 years ago is finally coming back to haunt me; I don't know. But I do know if I purchase one I will be spending time and money on it in order to make it last. And that is unfortunate to say the least.

Mark

I don't think you got a bad one - the quality issues are pretty well documented, especially with the switches. MB support has been great for me but I do agree the 7-14 day shipping time on parts is not good. I was down for a couple of months last year while I worked through issues with their support, most of that time was waiting for parts to ship. The upside to is I have a garage shelf full of spare parts and should be able to fix any issue that comes up in the future.

I love my 1050, I have cranked out the best bbq I've ever made on it and it has helped me seriously up my game, but the down time I've been through has been really frustrating so I understand where you are coming from. I do agree that more should be expected from a smoker approaching 1k.

He might be new to SMF but he's had the 800 for a year so I'd say he is well qualified to offer an opinion after that length of time. Hell, I haven't even had my 1050 for a year and I've offered plenty of well-qualified opinions. I'm glad your 560 has been good but H HurleyBoysBBQ is far from the first person to have issues with the gravity series. I am not sure what the point of your response is other than to antagonize people.

I've had a 560 for a little over a year without any mechanical problems. But it does not get a lot of use and I only use it as a smoker. I prefer my Kettle for a grill. I never run it up to higher temps than 350*.

I'm using it now primarily for rib cooks when I don't want to fire up the offset. And I thoroughly clean before every cook, which makes using the smoker inconvenient, but I really like how it smokes meats.

But hang in there. Keep working out the problems cuz I think its possible to have a reliable safe smoker.

I must have an exceptional one. I bought the 560 in January 2020 and the only issue I had was the lid switch failing but I just bypassed it. I did not buy the firebox mod as from what I've read the metal is designed to burn away and the hardened firebrick remains. With that said, I don't expect this to last 10 years though. For what it is and what it costs compared to others, it's a solid cooker. Anything built better and/or in the USA will be quite a bit more expensive.

I am 3 months into owning my 800 and have about 20 low and slow smoking sessions accomplished.

I like it a lot and thus purchased 3 mods to aid in further enjoyment (extended table, firebox liner, rear vent). I have followed forums, etc. a lot and agree the manufacturer has left a lot to be desired. It is imperfect but I'm still enjoying it. I have 2 racks of ribs on as I speak.

I never get flare-ups while smoking stuff low and slow. There generally just isn't enough heat to light off grease. But I did crank it up once to finish something and yeah...it flared up and I was surprised. But I don't grill on it so there is that.

The thing that bothers me most is it doesn't seem efficient at all. I haven't done any scientific comparisons but just seems to burn up that stack faster than I would expect whether it is charcoal or lump. My next smoker will probably still be a charcoal smoker but not gravity, maybe one of those battle box style.

• Haha
Reactions: negolien
The 560 moves a lot of air through the cook chamber. Air flow is good for convection and building bark. The downside is it uses more fuel.

I've thought about trying to seal it up better, mine has a lot of leaks. That would help some.

Reactions: mcokevin
Got my 560 in Dec 2019, used it MANY times and love it love it love it.
Sure the door switches are crap (just tossed mine out and hard wired the circuts) and being a cheapskate rather than buy a fancy expensive exhaust mod, I duck taped some tin foil over the exhaust vent to restrict flow a bit but every time I have an issue with it, Masterbuilt customer service has sent me free bits with no third degree.

I must have an exceptional one. I bought the 560 in January 2020 and the only issue I had was the lid switch failing but I just bypassed it. I did not buy the firebox mod as from what I've read the metal is designed to burn away and the hardened firebrick remains. With that said, I don't expect this to last 10 years though. For what it is and what it costs compared to others, it's a solid cooker. Anything built better and/or in the USA will be quite a bit more expensive.

Not really most are fine the most vocal are ones that either can't follow directions, do mods that cause issues or just want to wine., Sure there are some that are banged up sure there are some that have issues all products. due this was the first entry level cheap gravity feed the newer models are better. I had mine 3 years works like a champ. So many whiners so little time to post otherwise.

Thanks for your review of your experience. I may be looking fir a new smoker and this gives me something to consider. Perhaps you had a lemon (nature of the grease fire says otherwise) or perhaps improvements have been made, just more info to think about.

Reactions: mcokevin
No problem. Obviously the majority of the gravity series grills have been good, otherwise they still wouldn't be on the market. I don't know what is up with the one I've got and have been dealing with masterbuilt customer service trying to get it figured out. Couple things I can guarantee you it is not, it is not a lack of following instructions. It is not mods that have caused the issues. The mods were done to remedy the issues. And it's not just me bitching so everyone can hear my whine. As of right now I got $1000 in a deck ornament. I wish I had better experiences to share, believe me.

It’s too bad when a guy spends this kind of money that you have to do any “mods” in the first year of ownership. Be it door latches or what have you. I appreciate all the real world experiences being shared here. I’m in the camp of maybe paying a Tish more for something that is going to last without messing with wiring or anything else.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky