Masterbuilt Gravity Feed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yep works great !
20220717_181209.jpg

Keith

Sorry if this has been posted already. This looks like a good idea, and inexpensive way to get into gravity feed if it works as well as advertised.

https://www.masterbuilt.com/collections/smokers/products/gravity-series™-560-digital-charcoal-grill-smoker

Anyone have one already?

MY MB 560 was a game changer for me. I have 5 appliances on my patio including Kamado, offset reverse flow and MB electgric. I got a 560 on sle at HD and have never looked back. I don't trust the temp setting, so i use an inkbird termometer at grate level to adjust the temp to my liking. Typicslly the chamber seems to be about 25 degrees below temp setting. IMHO

Reactions: 912smoker
MY MB 560 was a game changer for me. I have 5 appliances on my patio including Kamado, offset reverse flow and MB electgric. I got a 560 on sle at HD and have never looked back. I don't trust the temp setting, so i use an inkbird termometer at grate level to adjust the temp to my liking. Typicslly the chamber seems to be about 25 degrees below temp setting. IMHO

The temp setting vrs cook chamber temp gets tricky. I run a Thermoworks Signals probe to the middle grate and it runs 15 to 20 degree cooler than the bottom grate. I put it on the bottom grate and sometimes it agrees with the MB controller and sometimes not.

There's variables. I put a drip pan under the bottom grate , its a 9 X 13 broiler pan . It sets right on top of the manifold and being a little wider than the manifold, it changes the air flow in the cook chamber. And I put some water in it , which is gonna alter the temp some on the bottom grate.

I haven't come to any conclusions about how the drip pan alters the cooking temps on the bottom and the middle grates. It does eliminate radiant heat from the manifold. I'm not sure it impacts the middle grate any at all.

I also think wind can temporarily change the cook chamber temps. I try to set the smoker so wind does not blow directly into the exhaust. But some times that's hard to do when there's swirling gusts on the patio.

I am just going to add onto this thread instead of starting a new one, What is the opinion on the Chargriller 980 vs the MB gravity (not size) but the build, use/wifi or any other aspect?

I am just going to add onto this thread instead of starting a new one, What is the opinion on the Chargriller 980 vs the MB gravity (not size) but the build, use/wifi or any other aspect?
I'd be curious if anyone knows the sales data on this too. i shop HD more than Lowes so my estimate is probably biased, but I think the fact that MB has a unit under the $500 price point is a huge tipping point in their favor. (I'd think that's somewhat of a "Petty Cash" tripwire in a lot of home finances.)
Then again the red CG looks better. :emoji_sunglasses:

Reactions: negolien
I'd be curious if anyone knows the sales data on this too. i shop HD more than Lowes so my estimate is probably biased, but I think the fact that MB has a unit under the $500 price point is a huge tipping point in their favor. (I'd think that's somewhat of a "Petty Cash" tripwire in a lot of home finances.)
Then again the red CG looks better. :emoji_sunglasses:
yeah well here on the coast the CG is lowes only so it is blue. The comparable size MB is the 1050 and msrp is over a grand.

I think you might struggle to get real side by side reviews, simply because everyday users that purchase either a MB or CG gravity are not going to purchase both - they will purchase one or the other. So you'll get reviews from MB owners and reviews from CG owners, but unlikely reviews from people who own both.

And I know there are a few youtube videos out there of guys doing side by side comparisons, but I'm skeptical that they have put enough hours in on those cookers to really give a thorough comparison of quality, etc..

I think you might struggle to get real side by side reviews, simply because everyday users that purchase either a MB or CG gravity are not going to purchase both - they will purchase one or the other. So you'll get reviews from MB owners and reviews from CG owners, but unlikely reviews from people who own both.

And I know there are a few youtube videos out there of guys doing side by side comparisons, but I'm skeptical that they have put enough hours in on those cookers to really give a thorough comparison of quality, etc..
yeah I figured that, was hoping someone with a 980 would chime in. I have watched all the videos but like you said they have barely cooked on them.

Reactions: mcokevin
Tommy from Gallery Backyard BBQ on Youtube has I think all 3 Gravity's and the Chargriller and has made bunches of videos. IMHO he's one of the most experienced people around when it comes to gravity fed smokers. And he pretty much answers every single question asked to him. It's absolutly crazy how active he is with the people who watch his videos and leave comment. He'd be able to answer just about any question anyone here had I bet.

people get 1050's all the time for liker 400 bucks just sayin
I could not get to NJ in time for one that was $500...I am still looking. I am eyeing a 980 asking $400 but I know the app sucks. Would like that for $300 or so. I am in no rush and I think when summer is ending I might see a few. I do think I would enjoy a gravity feed smoke profile over a pellet.

I could not get to NJ in time for one that was $500...I am still looking. I am eyeing a 980 asking $400 but I know the app sucks. Would like that for $300 or so. I am in no rush and I think when summer is ending I might see a few. I do think I would enjoy a gravity feed smoke profile over a pellet.
FWIW I think the app features are almost entirely useless. I am never running a charcoal smoker from across town, and for the one or two times I adjust my set temp during a smoke I can get up and walk outside lol.

I almost never use the MB app. But maybe that's just me.

FWIW I think the app features are almost entirely useless. I am never running a charcoal smoker from across town, and for the one or two times I adjust my set temp during a smoke I can get up and walk outside lol.

honestly I probably won't

Reactions: mcokevin

Me too.

I'm not about to leave this smoker unattended. And I can get up and walk out on the patio to adjust the temp, if I rarely need to.

I use Thermoworks Signals to monitor the cooking temp and IT of meats, so I really don't need the app.

And I'm adding wood to the firebox fairly often. Ain't no app that can do that for me.

I'vb never installed the app. I runn inkbird app when cooking. Went to HDyesterday to buy jeep hrdware and saw they had the 1050 in stock...$897. wowsers. i was so lucky to get my 560 assembled on closeout for $300.

I'vb never installed the app. I runn inkbird app when cooking. Went to HDyesterday to buy jeep hrdware and saw they had the 1050 in stock...$897. wowsers. i was so lucky to get my 560 assembled on closeout for $300.
yeah, hoping they drop that at the end of the summer. Best I saw new was Costco on the 800. They had the version without the griddle for $497 for a while.

I'm sure they will.
I've seen the 1050 at a wholesale/resale store for $499.00 !

Keith
My neighbor claims he got one recently, I forget where, a 1050 for $299.00. I don't know him well enough to tell if he's true or not. But that's one hell of a deal if it was real.

Reactions: 912smoker
I'm sure they will.

Keith
I'm sure they will.

Keith
I would pay either of those prices new if I could find it...as of now Costco only sells the 800 online. Lowes has the lock on the CG 980 as an exclusive around here. I think Menards has the exclusive on the red ones out west.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky