Masterbuilt Gravity Feed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well after the factory plates burn through it will start to reveal the insulation and it begin to degrade. The factory plates are thin metal. The repair kit is 12 gauge stainless steel... much heavier.
You will be glad you swapped it out. Won't take long.

I haven’t honestly had an issue with burn through on mine I’ve had almost a year now. I guess it all depends on how often your cranking it up to inferno mode. Ive only peaked it out maybe 6 times the rest of the time it’s under 400

Smoking yardbird this afternoon, but had a few coals left in hopper from burn in and I did a biscuit test. I also put temp probes left and right on bottom grate and to the left of the middle grate. Found a hot spot and it sort've surprised me.

I used my Thermoworks Smoke and ChefAlarm temp gauges.

I got the MB up to 400* and left biscuits on for 13 minutes, that was the instructions on the biscuit can.

Here's a pic of the bottom side of biscuits showing how they were arranged ..........

Jan 16 400 deg 13 minutes.jpg

Bottom of biscuits tell real story on biscuit test. I moved them to this cookie tray to get a better pic. The two rows at the bottom of the pic are the lower grate. Two rows at top, are the middle grate.

Bottom, top of pic is middle grate.jpg

And here's the top side

Tops  bottom of pic bottom grate.jpg

Reactions: Will Squared
I've edited this to make a correction.

The TW Smoke probes were on each end of the middle grate.

ChefAlarm probe was on the lower grate , on the far left of the grate. I placed it as close to the MB probe as I could. I have no explanation why its 40* lower than MB probe. I tested all three of the TW probes yesterday in boiling water.

Here's pics toward the end of the test

20210116_104741_resized.jpg
20210116_104746_resized.jpg
20210116_104744_resized.jpg

Last edited:
And I graphed the middle grate, left to right . Ch1= left, Ch2 = right, biscuit test was at 10:40 to 11 or so.

I first got the MB up to 250 then ran it on up to 400 for the biscuit test. I don't know why one side gets cooler when lid si open

ThermoWorksCloud ExportedData(3).jpg

Last edited:
And I graphed the lower grate, left to right . Ch1= left, Ch2 = right, biscuit test was at 10:40 to 11 or so.

I first got the MB up to 250 then ran it on up to 400 for the biscuit test. I don't know why one side gets cooler when lid si open

View attachment 480551
I discovered the same thing last night. Middle grate on mine was also 25-30* cooler. Had to adjust the increase * on the 1050 to reach target * of butt.

Well, aging is a terrible thing. I got mixed up on which grates I put probes. I've had to edit those posts to make a correction.

I put a probe on each end of the middle grate. Those are the temps that I charted with the Thermoworks Smoke.

And the ChefAlarm probe is located on the lower grate , near the MB probe.

Man, sometimes I wonder how I find my way around.

And I'm gonna do another biscuit test, only at 275* , which is more of a smoking temp. 400* is more of a grilling temp. I got a hunch that the hot spot will move at lower temps.

And I graphed the middle grate, left to right . Ch1= left, Ch2 = right, biscuit test was at 10:40 to 11 or so.

View attachment 480551
Are those two down spikes when you opened the lid?
I have found when I am searing that I can drop 100' when opening the lid.
I max out the temp and rely on the heat sink of the grates to do their job.
When searing the oven temp is not as important.
Great work on the charts.

Reactions: 912smoker
Are those two down spikes when you opened the lid?
I have found when I am searing that I can drop 100' when opening the lid.
I max out the temp and rely on the heat sink of the grates to do their job.
When searing the oven temp is not as important.
Great work on the charts.

Yes, I opened the lid twice, once to put on the biscuits and then again to take them off.

I read elsewhere , that there's a guy who makes an upper grate from expanded metal, I think his name is Joe and he can be found on Facebook. But I don't do FB and its really hard to dig back through FB archives.

Anyone know something about this ?

I read elsewhere , that there's a guy who makes an upper grate from expanded metal, I think his name is Joe and he can be found on Facebook. But I don't do FB and its really hard to dig back through FB archives.

Anyone know something about this ?
Haven't herd of that since no FB here either. Nice cook and also lovin' my 1050. It does seem to use a lot of fuel. What about the char logs ? Never used or seen them.

Haven't herd of that since no FB here either. Nice cook and also lovin' my 1050. It does seem to use a lot of fuel. What about the char logs ? Never used or seen them.

I haven't used them that much. I bought a bag several years ago that I mostly used for grilling and went back to KBB. But I thought I would give them a try in the 560, mostly based on Rexter in this thread. They are suppose to burn longer. They won't fall through the MB charcoal grate, which for me is not a good point. I want coals falling down on the chunks of wood in the ash pan. But I'm gonna use them some more, give them a good run.

Here's a podcast made by David Bouska of Butcher BBQ. Bouska has won some big events and appeared in two seasons of BBQ Pitmasters. His guest is B&B rep Ed Reilly, at about the 10 minute mark, Reilly explains how char logs are made, but I would recommend this entire podcast if your interested in diff types of lump and charcoal. Its a real education

https://www.butcherbbq.com/podcast-1/episode/254870e4/interview-with-ed-reilly-044

BTW, I've only had this 560 fired up a couple times, but it does appear to use a lot of charcoal. Too soon for me to form an opinion, though.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky