Masterbuilt Gravity Feed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I wonder if they upgraded the thin Firebox Steel and Grate that let Charcoal slip through? I don't have the dexterity or touch sensitivity in my fingers anymore, Carpal Tunnel issues. I can't fuss with Mods and need any equipment I purchase to be bug free out of the box...JJ

I don't think they've upgraded to thicker steel anywhere on the GF series. They're selling like hotcakes. Unless you can, or have someone else do the firebox mods, this grill is not for you. My 1050 that I got in April had a burn through in the firebox within a month. I did the mod and the stainless steel replacements have only slight warping from the high heat. It's a very simple and easy to do mod, took me about an hour to install. I totally understand about your neuropathy problems. I'm recovering from a severe bout of shingles that pretty much paralyzed my right arm from the shoulder to fingertips.

Thanks Rexster. Sorry to here about your arm. Being Right-handed, that would shut my life down. The family would not eat so well...JJ

little late on the post but I smoked a 15lb turkey on the 1050 for turkey day and it was pretty much amazing in every way. Maple/bourbon brine, some AP seasoning and heath riles peach rub. Took about 5.5 hours @ 300 on the middle rack took longer because it was stuffed. Only thing I probably wont do next time is stuff it because it draws out a ton of salt that the brine put into the meat and makes the stuffing borderline too salty (maybe it was a good thing and saved the bird from being too salty?) We had tin of stuffing cooked on the side so no harm no fowl .

After reading about it a few times now I found my new favorite way of adding smoke is to take a whole split of cherry and stand it vertical then pack the charcoal around it lasted about 4 hours and the smokiness was just right my wife doesn't like heavy smoke and she approved of it. It turned out a little darker than shown but I was so eager to carve into it I forgot to snap a final picture. Talk about moist and full of flavors.
02520B30-.jpg

I have had my 560 since May and have used it about every weekend since purchasing it. It hasn't burned through anything and yes, some of the smaller chunks of charcoal will slip through the grate at the bottom of the hopper but they still continue to create heat and charcoal flavor even in the ash bin. I have cranked mine up to 700 degrees a few of times. It will ramp up to 700 degrees in just a few minutes. 700 degrees is some pretty serious heat. I think if I cranked my 560 up to 700 degrees frequently it would probably burn through or burn up something. Understandably so. I do know before ramping up to 700 degrees to make sure there isn't an excessive amount of grease build up in my 560. A fan fed, grease fueled flare up @ 700 degrees is pretty impressive. I would buy another 560 in a second if anything ever happened to mine.

I have had my 560 since May and have used it about every weekend since purchasing it. It hasn't burned through anything and yes, some of the smaller chunks of charcoal will slip through the grate at the bottom of the hopper but they still continue to create heat and charcoal flavor even in the ash bin. I have cranked mine up to 700 degrees a few of times. It will ramp up to 700 degrees in just a few minutes. 700 degrees is some pretty serious heat. I think if I cranked my 560 up to 700 degrees frequently it would probably burn through or burn up something. Understandably so. I do know before ramping up to 700 degrees to make sure there isn't an excessive amount of grease build up in my 560. A fan fed, grease fueled flare up @ 700 degrees is pretty impressive. I would buy another 560 in a second if anything ever happened to mine.
My 560 has become part of the Family. I would not go back. I have done both mods. I use it several times a week. I have it up to 700 a lot. I will run it at 700 for a while after I have finished my cook to let it burn clean the griddle. No harm. I wouldn't worry too much about it. It is one tuff Smoker !

Reactions: negolien
I am glad to finally join the family. I ordered the 1050 with free rotisserie kit on cyber Monday and now waiting the delivery. Lump charcoal and cover already delivered and ready to take care of the smoker.
I spent over a year reading forums about pellet smokers and was pretty much set on RT700 but wasn't so happy with the smoke profile I used to get from my pellet smoking tube so never had the urge to order a pellet smoker but with the 1050 it uses lump charcoal which is my favorite so it merely took me few days to order one.
The only thing I will miss with the 1050 is the smell of the meat juices when they drip on the charcoal and the flavor they add to the meat.

So how big a turkey can that MB air fryer do? Did you use it this past Thanksgiving?
I airfried a nearly 15lb Turkey and it had plenty of room for a larger one. Would put a small foil tent on top of the bird at the neck to prevent the very top from getting charred as it gets really close to that fan+coil on the top.
took ~2.5 hours (could have done a little less but was running around making other things as well) Skin crispy, meat juicy.
I dry brined it with salt and roasted garlic+herb and just before putting it on injected with tony chachere's cajun butter injection. Will end up only doing salt+pepper for the dry brine next year to better go with the Cajun injection but delicious none-the-less. Made some turkey pot pies with the leftovers.

35 degrees out here in western NY ski country and once again the 1050 proves its a beast! 18# fresh ham and a 5# pork roast fit comfortably on the 2nd rack with room to spare surprisingly. 11 hours later and we got a beautiful looking ham prepped for Christmas. Now I just have to figure out if I can draw some more salt out of that ham because its on the salty side of the spectrum.
IMG_8687.jpg
IMG_8694.jpg

35 degrees out here in western NY ski country and once again the 1050 proves its a beast! 18# fresh ham and a 5# pork roast fit comfortably on the 2nd rack with room to spare surprisingly. 11 hours later and we got a beautiful looking ham prepped for Christmas. Now I just have to figure out if I can draw some more salt out of that ham because its on the salty side of the spectrum. View attachment 476736View attachment 476737
Any chance you could measure the bottom grill grate? I'm curious of the dimensions on these to see if I can fit a full size packer brisket. Thanks!

Well I had been waiting trying to catch the 1050 or 800 at a sale price. The wifey ask yesterday what I was waiting on,,,,,,,and then handed me the tracking # for HER 1050 order !
Man super excited for delivery Tuesday. And yeah.....even after 20 yrs she's still a keeper for sure.

Hi Guys, Just wondering if any one can give a review for the masterbuilt as a grill rather than a smoke? Looking to get one this week but wanted to see what the general consensus was?
Sears great at 700 degrees, Eats through charcoal at that temp. I've had mine for over a year and haven't had problems with it. Once you get to know your grill and the charcoal you plan on using its better to guage how much charcoal you will need rather than trying to snuff out the fire afterwards because although the fire will go out, it takes quite a while and will still be burning charcoal during that time. I would put just enough to do the cookign of whatever food your doing plus a little bit for burnoff at the end. I mostly sear steaks on it, but also do some bbq chicken and grilled porkchops occasionally. Thats just my 2cents. I have done the grate mod, put 2 or 3 skewers woven in the grate so that the charcoal can't fall throught he grate quite as quickly, if yours is new stock though you might have the redesigned grate that should do the same thing.

Sears great at 700 degrees, Eats through charcoal at that temp. I've had mine for over a year and haven't had problems with it. Once you get to know your grill and the charcoal you plan on using its better to guage how much charcoal you will need rather than trying to snuff out the fire afterwards because although the fire will go out, it takes quite a while and will still be burning charcoal during that time. I would put just enough to do the cookign of whatever food your doing plus a little bit for burnoff at the end. I mostly sear steaks on it, but also do some bbq chicken and grilled porkchops occasionally. Thats just my 2cents. I have done the grate mod, put 2 or 3 skewers woven in the grate so that the charcoal can't fall throught he grate quite as quickly, if yours is new stock though you might have the redesigned grate that should do the same thing.
Thanks, I appreciate you taking the time and typing that out.

Reactions: Will Squared

All good points. Great for grilling stuff that take more than 5 minutes to cook. If your just firing it up to grill a handful of hot dogs your wasting more time loading and lighting it than its worth I keep a little camping gas grill around if i'm doing that. But chicken, burgers, steaks, pork tenderloins etc. it works great. Warning though you find yourself converting over to reverse searing all of those once you try it.

Hi Guys, Just wondering if any one can give a review for the masterbuilt as a grill rather than a smoke? Looking to get one this week but wanted to see what the general consensus was?
I have had my 560 for one year and I LOVE it. I have used it almost every week. I have use it for unusual purposes too. Wife and I are planning the starts for our Spring garden and I will use the 560 to sterilize soil for the starter trays... 190' for 45 minutes.
I have used it to dehydrate fruit and vegetables. It will hold a low temp of 155' or 160' all day.
My favorite is to Reverse Sear Rib Eye !

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky