Masterbuilt Gravity Feed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
One is not going to get a $200.00 temp system/ app with a $500.00 smoker. And even if it were available I would prefer that Masterbuilt put the money into the smoker itself rather than an app.

These are nice charcoal grill/smokers. I haven't had any problems with mine. And even at worst case if I did have some of the issues others are describing I would buy another 560 anyway. Wood chunks with charcoal combined makes for some good smoke flavor and the 560 is amazingly good at maintaining a steady and precise temp. Not so easy to do with charcoal and wood.
What you are not understanding is this is simply a $5 difference,or less, in the quality of a part. Now that I figured out the work around, I can change Temps, set timers, set meat probe alerts all from the comfort of the beach in Florida while my smoker is in cincinnati.

Reactions: Will Squared
So I finally decided on a new smoker and went with the MB 560 thanks to a lot of responses in this forum. One question I had is, does anyone use the meat probe that comes with the smoker and purchase more of MBs probes or is there a different brand that is recommended for this smoker, or does everyone just use a handheld meat thermometer? Also, are there any necessary items that are recommended for me to purchase other than cover and gasket rope to seal the door? Thanks for any responses!

Reactions: Will Squared
Anyone find a matt suitable for using beneathe the 560? This thing leaks more than the Exxon Valdez.

Reactions: Btfu
Anyone find a matt suitable for using beneathe the 560? This thing leaks more than the Exxon Valdez.
I thought it was just mine. Is yours also leaking from the back right side?

I've just been putting a scrap piece of cardboard down when I go to cook. Not the most aesthetically pleasing but has worked so far

Napoleon Large Grill Mat is what I've bought, haven't laid it down yet, plan to do it this weekend

So I finally decided on a new smoker and went with the MB 560 thanks to a lot of responses in this forum. One question I had is, does anyone use the meat probe that comes with the smoker and purchase more of MBs probes or is there a different brand that is recommended for this smoker, or does everyone just use a handheld meat thermometer? Also, are there any necessary items that are recommended for me to purchase other than cover and gasket rope to seal the door? Thanks for any responses!

Unless someone has found an alternative probe, there's none out there. I went through 4 different probes from Amazon but never found one that worked with the 560. That fact, and the other problem of note connecting with wifi, made me go in the Fireboard direction. Completely replaced the M/B controller with more probe ports available and rock solid wifi

Reactions: Vandi
Unless someone has found an alternative probe, there's none out there. I went through 4 different probes from Amazon but never found one that worked with the 560. That fact, and the other problem of note connecting with wifi, made me go in the Fireboard direction. Completely replaced the M/B controller with more probe ports available and rock solid wifi
My Fireboard2 arrives today. I don't have a cable to connect it to the masterbuilt but at least I'll have decent temp details lol.

That's what I figured. Thanks for the response! I'll be good with one right now but might do some research into the fireboard.

I haven't tracked down specifically where my leaks are coming from. It doe appear there are numerous locations involved however.
I thought it was just mine. Is yours also leaking from the back right side?

I've just been putting a scrap piece of cardboard down when I go to cook. Not the most aesthetically pleasing but has worked so far

Mine is dripping somewhere in the middle no idea why
Take out the drip tray and the grates. Look in the main cooking chamber for sunlight shining through. Mine had a tiny opening where the hopper is attached. Basically it was leaking where the bolt is coming through. I used some high heat caulk.

It ain't creosote its the paint pulling off beside the rest of the smooth paint surface.. It's clearly visible the ridges where paint is peeling vs where it's still attached.
See photo, this is under the charcoal grill View attachment 450388
lokshy, I just wanted you to know that the peeling paint conspiracy theory is correct….I was wrong it’s not creosote as suggested. When I worked on my grill today to replace the fire box plates that were either burned out or bulging, I found flaking paint in the same area that you identified, as well as, rust in the middle hopper assembly. I am afraid that my four-month-old baby grill has the internal parts of an old man headed to hospice care. The good news in all of this is that I didn’t name her ‘Longevity’.

lokshy, I just wanted you to know that the peeling paint conspiracy theory is correct….I was wrong it’s not creosote as suggested. When I worked on my grill today to replace the fire box plates that were either burned out or bulging, I found flaking paint in the same area that you identified, as well as, rust in the middle hopper assembly. I am afraid that my four-month-old baby grill has the internal parts of an old man headed to hospice care. The good news in all of this is that I didn’t name her ‘Longevity’.
Just out of curiosity how is everyone storing your smoker from the elements? Cover/ no cover keeping it indoors when not in use? I haven’t inspected mine for issues like this yet I’m just curious if there’s a common theme of if it’s developing these problem areas due to the level of protection it gets.

I keep mine inside when it’s not being used to try and get as much life’s out of it as I can. I’ve had a buddy that has the same grill for over a decade by simply not leaving it outside so I figured if I have the room why not try it out.

Does anyone miss having a two zone fire on their grill? I'm so used to using it, that I'm not sure what it's like to live without it. Being able to crank the heat from low to high temp helps mitigate any issues I'm sure.

Reactions: ryschoo

I use the MB probe but an independent probe as well to double check.
I use a pocket probe to check occasionally and check for finish.
You will have different temps in different areas within the Cook Zone. My top shelf is a lot cooler. The MP probe is reading at the head of the manifold.
I can affect the Cook zones with using a CI griddle, either on the grates or top self.
It acts as a heat sink and zone separator.

Just out of curiosity how is everyone storing your smoker from the elements? Cover/ no cover keeping it indoors when not in use? I haven’t inspected mine for issues like this yet I’m just curious if there’s a common theme of if it’s developing these problem areas due to the level of protection it gets.

I keep mine inside when it’s not being used to try and get as much life’s out of it as I can. I’ve had a buddy that has the same grill for over a decade by simply not leaving it outside so I figured if I have the room why not try it out.

The covers from MB are great. Excellent coverage and protection. As soon as the grill has cooled down, I will clean all the stainless steel parts (shelf, folding shelf) with stainless steel polish, wipe all the black surfaces down with half strength Fabuloso, then cover. The black metal is very susceptible for surface rust, especially at the seams where water can stand

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky