Masterbuilt Gravity Feed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I was hoping to use it to replace my smoker and charcoal/gas grill combo. I was originally worried about how much charcoal it would use for quickly cooking some burgers, but hadn’t thought about all the grease going to the heat manifold... Would cooking the burgers on one of the upper racks with a grease pan on the bottom rack solve the issue?

Seriously grease isn't an issue on a single cook really. I have done a almost 7 pound waygu shortrib rack on lower along with rib eyes, eye rounds, meatloaf. As with anything if you GRILL u must watch for flare ups if you are smoking really it isn't an issue.

Reactions: Will Squared
I haven't had an issues with grease fires but I always Turn it up to 600-700 after any cook to make sure anything on the manifold or grates is completely burned off. I leave it that way for about 10 mins, i take the meat off, turn it up and take the food inside and prep, once done plating or whatever i go back out and turn it off and slide in the slides if there is any charcoal left.

I haven't had an issues with grease fires but I always Turn it up to 600-700 after any cook to make sure anything on the manifold or grates is completely burned off. I leave it that way for about 10 mins, i take the meat off, turn it up and take the food inside and prep, once done plating or whatever i go back out and turn it off and slide in the slides if there is any charcoal left.
Do you all wrap the manifold/tube, drip trap and grease cup with heavy foil?

I haven't had any problem with any uncontrolled fire. The Unit is pretty 'bullet proof'.
I covered all of the lower parts with foil, including the manifold.
To tell you the truth I haven't changed the foil. It burns pretty clean.
Whatever has fallen onto the foiled manifold has carbonized... might become an art project. lol.
The foil that is on the drip pan is almost spotless.
I have been using my 560 almost every day.
Great distraction during Quarantine.

Today... more chicken thighs and maybe grill/smoke some Fuji apples to experiment... thinking smoked apple sauce.

Reactions: negolien
On my 1050 I foiled the manifold, and the drip tray. That said when I cooked two chickens (broken down) @ 425 I had to manage a flare up--which is expected, but I had a pretty easy time of clean up. What was surprising was the amount of grease in the lowest drip pan after the cook. Normally for chicken there is not that much that makes it to the catch can in my other cookers. For things like brisket, butt, or ribs sure, but not normally for chicken. I think that is a testament to how well this thing cooks. On my gas grill all of that fat would have been vaporized and flavored the meat (not ideal). I still have a lot to learn about this, but so far I am excited that it seems to be able to cook at high temp--with no waiting after opening the lid, and gets crispy chicken that is not black or sooty--without the need for drip trays. I can still make better chicken on the Akorn, but it is a ton more effort, and I need to do it in batches for my family size. I expect to get better with the 1050. Next cook is fajitas!

I'm not sure what's happening, but I can't seem to locate the 560 or the larger one.
Ace Hardware is out of stock till late April/ May (while they are still offering free assembly and free delivery).
Can't get WalMart to answer the phone in lawn and garden (online shows they have them in stock). But that turns out to be not true, 80% of the time.
Amazon is showing these at over $600 each. AND, not available till mid April to mid May.
If I purchase at MasterBuilt website, I'm going to pay $50 shipping and I can't tell if they are even in stock or when it would ship.
Suggestions anyone? Thanks.
I purchased mine at Home Depot....have you tried them?

So you cook them in the upper rack the whole cook? Or then move the skillet and move them to the bottom grates to char them up just before done?

Just keep the griddle (or skillet) on the bottom grates.
The cast iron acts as a heat sink.

I have thought about the thermal effects of placing the griddle on the middle or top racks.
I have used my stainless pans and noticed the heat and cooler pockets in the chamber...
a pan on the top can intensify the smoke above the exhaust.
That is a factor to control.

Hmmm...

I was hoping to use it to replace my smoker and charcoal/gas grill combo. I was originally worried about how much charcoal it would use for quickly cooking some burgers, but hadn’t thought about all the grease going to the heat manifold... Would cooking the burgers on one of the upper racks with a grease pan on the bottom rack solve the issue?

I think the 560 replaces any smoker/charcoal combo. I would not compare it with the ease of gas so I keep our Weber Gas in the rotation, especially for my college kids that don't have time for the 560 or the Weber Kettle. They appreciate both and let me operate those

So you cook them in the upper rack the whole cook? Or then move the skillet and move them to the bottom grates to char them up just before done?
I have the Cast iron Griddle (its not really a skillet its a large flat top essentially, but it does have a indention for the grease to run in) and I cook it on there the whole time. I make balls of hamburger meat and then smash them onto the griddle with a large spatula. it sears it nicely. but as the burgers take the heat away from the griddle they dont burn and can continue to cook on the griddle. if I have some that cook inconsistantly i move them to an upper rack while the rest are finishing up, this allos the grease to still drip on the griddle so doesn't mess with the manifold much. Its similar to This.

I have the Cast iron Griddle (its not really a skillet its a large flat top essentially, but it does have a indention for the grease to run in) and I cook it on there the whole time. I make balls of hamburger meat and then smash them onto the griddle with a large spatula. it sears it nicely. but as the burgers take the heat away from the griddle they dont burn and can continue to cook on the griddle. if I have some that cook inconsistantly i move them to an upper rack while the rest are finishing up, this allos the grease to still drip on the griddle so doesn't mess with the manifold much. Its similar to This.
Thanks. I have one just like that. My 1050 is on order!! David w/ Keystone BBQ Supply was a big help.

. Its similar to This.

I notice that these are out of stock.
Probably because everyone is grilling now in Quarantine. lol.

I have one of those and they fit nicely in the 560 but my Wife says it is "Kitchen ONLY".
I just pulled an old griddle out of the pickle tank and got one coat of Grape Seed Oil on it last night.
It is that size but half and half- one side has grill bars at a 45' angle... one side is griddle.
Cant wait to get a few more coats on it and give it a trial run.

Masterbuilt really came up with a nice design...
Genius in its simplicity.

Do you all wrap the manifold/tube, drip trap and grease cup with heavy foil?

I wrapped my manifold, drip tray, and grease cup with heavy foil.

I'm just that way.

It hasn't gotten gunked up enough to change yet and I have used it probably 30 times or so.

The manifold is looking interesting though.

Reactions: negolien
I apologize if this has been talked about already, but I'm wondering if 3rd party temp probes work with the MBGF?

I have a 1050 on order and have other probes on hand. It'd be great if I didn't have to purchase more $20 probes.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky