Masterbuilt Gravity 800

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mcokevin

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 18, 2016
Orlando FL
Anyone know what the deal is with the Masterbuilt Gravity series 800 model? I'm considering an upgrade and having the griddle is pretty appealing to me. Actually somewhat annoyed they don't have a griddle option for the 1050, as I'd love the extra real estate and a griddle both!

The 560 and 1050 seem to be easily available, but the 800 can't be found.

The 800 is only available thru Walmart. It seems they might be sold out online, though there's a couple available at store in my area (Seattle).

The 800 is only available thru Walmart. It seems they might be sold out online, though there's a couple available at store in my area (Seattle).
Damned if I didn't know I'd get the right answer here and quickly. Thanks so much. Just looked and a Walmart near me has a few in stock. Decision time... 800 or 1050!!

I wanted the griddle, didn't need the larger space of the 1050, and the 800 was cheaper. The 800 was the easy choice for me.

Just a heads up, the 800 in the box weighs about 260 lbs. You might need a truck or SUV and a helper to transport it.

I am leaning that way as well. I currently have an 18" WSM and capacity-wise it has been good except for all but the biggest smokes I do. The Gravity 800 lists capacity at six racks of ribs, which I have done before and will do again. I have also done three pork shoulders on the 18" WSM, and think the most I'd reasonably ever do is four -- do you think the 800 can hold that? I would guess I'd need to remove the two shelves and sit it all on the main cook surface.

Thanks for the heads up on the weight / size. I have a mini van (#dadlife) so it should fit in there I would guess. Helper will be a little bit of a different story though as my two year old son is probably not quite up to the task yet!

As to portability, my 560 in the box was pretty darn heavy so I doubt loading the larger unit into a pickup or minivan would be a one man job.

As to portability, my 560 in the box was pretty darn heavy so I doubt loading the larger unit into a pickup or minivan would be a one man job.
Thanks, yes I expect I will not attempt it solo! I'll bring a friend and bribe them with dinner once it's set up and seasoned!

Reactions: 912smoker
I am leaning that way as well. I currently have an 18" WSM and capacity-wise it has been good except for all but the biggest smokes I do. The Gravity 800 lists capacity at six racks of ribs, which I have done before and will do again. I have also done three pork shoulders on the 18" WSM, and think the most I'd reasonably ever do is four -- do you think the 800 can hold that? I would guess I'd need to remove the two shelves and sit it all on the main cook surface.

Thanks for the heads up on the weight / size. I have a mini van (#dadlife) so it should fit in there I would guess. Helper will be a little bit of a different story though as my two year old son is probably not quite up to the task yet!
To get 6 racks of ribs to fit, you would probably need to use one or both upper shelves. 4 full size shoulders might fit on the main cooking grate. Haven't tried to do that much as I'm mostly cooking for just the wife and I.

Could you buy a griddle from Lodge and just add it to the Masterbuilt grate?
I probably could, or have one made, but I don't think the results would be as good. In addition to the actual griddle the Gravity 800 comes with a separate manifold that you swap out when going into griddle mode. The normal manifold disperses heat indirectly for smoking and grilling, while the griddle manifold is set up to apply the heat directly to the underside of the griddle surface. I think that is going to be just as important (and definitely more efficient) than indirect heating of the entire cook chamber.

Could you buy a griddle from Lodge and just add it to the Masterbuilt grate?
The Gravity 800 comes with a second modified manifold that is used with the griddle. It directs the heat directly underneath it so that it gets hot enough. The 560/1050 don't come with the modified manifold, but you can by an aftermarket version from lss mods, then use a cast iron griddle sitting on the grates.

Just looked at the 800 today at our Wal-Mart. Darn tempting :emoji_thinking:
Checkbook intact at this stage. . .

Edit: question for you gravity owners. How much charcoal is needed on a for instance rib smoke of 6hrs at about 225°? Have never even looked at price of charcoal.

Last edited:
My vote would be for the extra real estate.
I think what I'm going to do is take measurements of the main cook surface of both the 800 and 1050 and tape those out on a table or big piece of cardboard, then see hypothetically if the 800 is going to be big enough.

I think the 800 is going to be big enough for 95-98% of my smokes, and the griddle is a nice plus.

Just looked at the 800 today at our Wal-Mart. Darn tempting :emoji_thinking:
Checkbook intact at this stage. . .

Edit: question for you gravity owners. How much charcoal is needed on a for instance rib smoke of 6hrs at about 225°? Have never even looked at price of charcoal.
The Masterbuilt website says the hopper holds about 10 lbs of charcoal for up to 10 hours of use. I haven't kept very good track of how much I've used, but I'd say that I used close to 3/4 of a hopper to do a rack of ribs at 225 for 6 hours. So maybe not quite as good as Masterbuilt says, but not terribly far off.

I think different charcoals will last longer than others. Most of the opinions seem to think briquettes last longer than lump.

Reactions: Winterrider
Depends on the charcoal briquette brand, I use Kingsford Pro/Comp and 5/6 hour ribs at 225 use around half a chamber more or less.

Attachments

• DSC00515.JPG
    DSC00515.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 71
Reactions: Winterrider
I think what I'm going to do is take measurements of the main cook surface of both the 800 and 1050 and tape those out on a table or big piece of cardboard, then see hypothetically if the 800 is going to be big enough.

I think the 800 is going to be big enough for 95-98% of my smokes, and the griddle is a nice plus.
Like they say it's better to have something and not need it then to need something and not have it. I just hate trying to stuff 10 lbs of sh*t in a 5 lbs sack. I believe someone mentioned that aftermarket griddles seem to work. Which ever way you go though...You'll enjoy it I'm sure

I definitely don't need anymore grills, but the Char Griller gravity fed is pretty intriguing. It looks somewhat better built than the Masterbuilt and is priced well. I don't see a griddle option though.

Like they say it's better to have something and not need it then to need something and not have it. I just hate trying to stuff 10 lbs of sh*t in a 5 lbs sack. I believe someone mentioned that aftermarket griddles seem to work. Which ever way you go though...You'll enjoy it I'm sure
I agree, and that's what I feel like I'm doing with my current WSM sometimes. So where I'm at now is - do I pick the smoker that will be big enough for the biggest 2-3% of my cooks that I only do maybe once every other year? Or do I pick the one with the feature I didn't know I wanted (the griddle) but now for some reason can't get out of my head. Hah hah.

At least either one is a good choice!

I am curious what other 800 series owners think of the cook capacity. I did a little layout on the patio table last night of the main surface cook dimensions and I think four racks of ribs will fit on the main cook surface, and the top two racks would easily fit another rack and a half each. The top two racks seem like they might be too close to each other to fit a bigger cut like a pork shoulder, but tough for me to tell without seeing it for myself.

I definitely don't need anymore grills, but the Char Griller gravity fed is pretty intriguing. It looks somewhat better built than the Masterbuilt and is priced well. I don't see a griddle option though.

Boy, that is another to consider. Oof -- the decisions keep getting more difficult! lol

I agree, and that's what I feel like I'm doing with my current WSM sometimes. So where I'm at now is - do I pick the smoker that will be big enough for the biggest 2-3% of my cooks that I only do maybe once every other year? Or do I pick the one with the feature I didn't know I wanted (the griddle) but now for some reason can't get out of my head. Hah hah.

At least either one is a good choice!

I am curious what other 800 series owners think of the cook capacity. I did a little layout on the patio table last night of the main surface cook dimensions and I think four racks of ribs will fit on the main cook surface, and the top two racks would easily fit another rack and a half each. The top two racks seem like they might be too close to each other to fit a bigger cut like a pork shoulder, but tough for me to tell without seeing it for myself.

Boy, that is another to consider. Oof -- the decisions keep getting more difficult! lol
I'm not sure you'll be able to fit 4 racks of ribs on the main cooking surface un less they're small. The upper shelves are the same length as the main cooking surface, with about half the depth.

Here's a pick of a large rack of spareribs (6.5 lbs) I cooked on the middle shelf: 1618332673243.png

There's no way I could have gotten 4 of them on the cooking surface; probably 2, maybe 3.

Also, the last few cooks I've started using a small water pan on the right side of the main surface. It seems to help even out hot spots in the cooler. However, if you chose to use one, it would suck up cook space. You might want to lean towards the 1050.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky