Masterbuilt Female needs help!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

katymeg

Original poster
Nov 18, 2013
Arizona
Hi All. Briefly, I haven't used my Masterbuilt Electric smoker in a few years.  I am going to make a smoked pork butt for Thanksgiving so I had a few questions.  A lot of questions actually.

I have Jeff's tubular pellet holder (can't remember the name, but it lights at both ends).

1)  Should I brine my pork butt first?  If so, what do you recommend?

2)  What flavor of pellets should I use?

3)  How long to do you think an 8-lb pork butt will take?  

4)  What temp should I set my smoker to?

5)  What is the maximum internal temperature I should look for?

6) How many times should I refill my pellet holder?

7 What's the best way to s store the smoked pork in the refrigerator (since I will be doing it the day before), and the best way to reheat it in order to maintain it's moisture.  

Thank you soooo much, in advance, for all your help.  I know those are a lot of questions, but I think I will be using the smoker more in the future so I need to get my sea-legs.

Kathy

Hi All. Briefly, I haven't used my Masterbuilt Electric smoker in a few years.  I am going to make a smoked pork butt for Thanksgiving so I had a few questions.  A lot of questions actually.

I have Jeff's tubular pellet holder (can't remember the name, but it lights at both ends).

1)  Should I brine my pork butt first?  If so, what do you recommend?  Brining isn't required most of the time for a good pulled pork.

2)  What flavor of pellets should I use?  Hard to beat cherry for pork, but hickory and pecan are good too.

3)  How long to do you think an 8-lb pork butt will take?  Not being cute, but it'll have to go until it's done.  Plan on a LONG cook 8-14 hours sometimes.  Depends upon the butt.

4)  What temp should I set my smoker to?  225 works great, but make sure that's where the MES is really at, they are notorious for being off.

5)  What is the maximum internal temperature I should look for?  >205.  The best way to know when the butt is done is when the bone pulls out easily with no meat on it.

6) How many times should I refill my pellet holder?  Depends on how long it actually burns.  I do smoke for almost all of the cook.

7 What's the best way to s store the smoked pork in the refrigerator (since I will be doing it the day before), and the best way to reheat it in order to maintain it's moisture.  Vacuum pack after shredding, then when ready to reheat, place the vacuum bags into a pot with tap water.  Turn the burner to high, allow to come to a boil, then let it boil for 5-8 minutes.  Then CAREFULLY open the vac bags for great reheated meat that's still very juicy.

Thank you soooo much, in advance, for all your help.  I know those are a lot of questions, but I think I will be using the smoker more in the future so I need to get my sea-legs.

Kathy
See my answers above. 

That works well for me...

CB has you covered. I would suggest making sure it still works

Richie 

Katy,

I highly recommend you try out that unit well before TurkeyDay to make sure it works properly.  Hopefully its been stored in a dry place and a light clean up is all that's required.  BTW: trying it also means using the smoker tube you mentioned so you know how long it will provide smoke. 

Matt

You can always cheat..!!

Bed of sweet onion in slow cooker,add roast and some sauce late at night and cook on low overnight.Keep warm

until about 3 hrs from serving,place in foil pan with some of the juice and all of the onions. Smoke and pull slowly as you go

adding liquid from the slow cooker and sauce/spices to taste as you smoke.I also put pineapple in the slow cooker..!!

Lots of good smoking between now and Thanksgiving.

But checking the thing out and getting used to how it acts

is a very good thing.

Practice and play with it, you'll be a lot more confident when the day arrives.

Pictures would be a good thing.

Have fun with it.

Ed

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky