Masterbuilt Cold Smoker Attachment Burns chips too fast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hello All, 

I am wanting to connect something to my Cold Smoker Attachment and I am looking for the easiest way possible. I came across this, do you think this would work?

https://www.homebrewsupply.com/inkb...LCbcNZl4EHmHds6eZD-JtA_W5R-MN3FSiwaAitr8P8HAQ

Or do you think doing the dimmer switch is what I'd have to hook up?
No, that controller is used to regulate temperature. Trying to find a temperature that gives good smoke would probably be difficult with the cold smoke accessory. You're just really trying to reduce the output of the element so a dimmer/scr would probably be better. 

I've done a couple things on mine.  First my MES cold smoke attachment is on a rheostat so I can turn down the element.  Seems to work well about 75% of max. Second I've found I have better luck with chunks in mine. I do have to split most of the chunks from the bag with a chisel to get them to fit, but they burn a lot cleaner and slower IMO. Third if you look through some of my posts you can see that I have extended the tube between the MES and the cold smoke unit much like above, though I ran mine around the back of the MES so the cold smoke unit still can sit beside the smoker for a clean look.

-J

At 75% power roughly what is the temp? Also what are the steps that are good to follow to get a good amount of smoke? Would it be best to leave the cold smoker at 100% power for a set time, and then dial it back to 75% for the remainder?

I just got the Cold Smoker attachment a few weeks ago and used it to smoke some sausages in my GOSM. Like many, I found the chips burned up very fast. I was using Little Chief Smokehouse chips, which are very fine. I found an Amazon review that said when using fine chips, you can get the smoker going well and then shut off the power and the remaining chips will continue to burn slowly.

Other folks said that the larger size chips like Weber, Wester, etc, burn much better and longer and keep power on the whole time.

Haven't tried either yet but will once the rains stop.

Reactions: SonnyE
After the cold smokers gets goin good usually 10 min or less I shut the power of it has always continued to burn I get 5 hours easy
Cool. What type of chips are you using?

Last edited:
I just used a flexible aluminum dryer hose from Home Depot. It works pretty well. I bought an elbow and an adapter and it fits together nicely the hose slides over the male end of the cold smoker. The adapter fits in the chute of the MES and in the one end of the Elbow. The dryer hose slides over the other end of the Elbow.  I bought some clamps but they didn't really do much and not much smoke escapes through the connections. The hose expands so I can position the cold smoker wherever it needs to be. It is quick to set up and works reasonable well. So far the chunks appear to be the best alternative but they have a tendency to jam in the cold smoker so I still haven't figured out a solution to that. The chips work but burn to fast and still bind in the chute. We are in Wisconsin so I can't take a picture right now as everything is put away for the winter. You may have to buy a few pieces to get the right connections but you can always take the unused pieces back. It was hard to figure out exact dimensions. Good luck.

Roger

I just used a flexible aluminum dryer hose from Home Depot. It works pretty well. I bought an elbow and an adapter and it fits together nicely the hose slides over the male end of the cold smoker. The adapter fits in the chute of the MES and in the one end of the Elbow. The dryer hose slides over the other end of the Elbow.  I bought some clamps but they didn't really do much and not much smoke escapes through the connections. The hose expands so I can position the cold smoker wherever it needs to be. It is quick to set up and works reasonable well. So far the chunks appear to be the best alternative but they have a tendency to jam in the cold smoker so I still haven't figured out a solution to that. The chips work but burn to fast and still bind in the chute. We are in Wisconsin so I can't take a picture right now as everything is put away for the winter. You may have to buy a few pieces to get the right connections but you can always take the unused pieces back. It was hard to figure out exact dimensions. Good luck.

Roger
Can you take photos of the parts you used to hook up the dryer flex tube. I can't figure it out. Or maybe UPC numbers. I have mine hooked up to my new 30" smoker with duct tape...

Last edited:
Hi guys! I'm using a MES30 with the Cold smoker attachment but my chips are getting burnt up pretty quick and im getting a thick white smoke. Does any one have a solution or recommendations to achieve TBS? Should I turn on the Cold smoker, get my chips going and turn it off? I've even thought of starting with a little bit of coal in the bottom of the chute and when it gets going load on my chips.

Last edited:
Hi guys! I'm using a MES30 with the Cold smoker attachment but my chips are getting burnt up pretty quick and im getting a thick white smoke. Does any one have a solution or recommendations to achieve TBS? Should I turn on the Cold smoker, get my chips going and turn it off? I've even thought of starting with a little bit of coal in the bottom of the chute and when it gets going load on my chips.
Try using fewer chips....

I had that problem too and ended up using chunks. Many of them are too big but you can split them or I have a Band saw so I just sliced them down. The person who originally suggested this tip just used a chisel to split them.  That seemed to work better than chips but it isn't perfect. Try and load them so they don't wedge themselves in or you will end up with them binding up and not falling down. You might also check the collar that holds the tube. If it is pushed to far up then the grate will sit right on the burner and burn too fast. This also happened to me because I was trying to force the chips down which caused the collar to slide slightly up. In any case the tube actually rocked because the grate was sitting on the coils instead of sitting just above the coils. Solution was a few gentle taps with a hammer to slightly move the collar down a bit (and hence raise the grate). Its just a friction fit.  I also use the flexible aluminum driver vent. Without that the taste is really bad because the amount of smoke is way too heavy and there is too much creosote. With those modifications the cold smoker works for hot smoking and gives you more time than the chip loader but I never got close to the MB rated amount of time.

For those using duct for and extension from your cold smoke apparatus you can use flexible metal dryer vent. It's like a foil covered slinky and you can make a vertical coil with it and take up a lot less room.

Jay 

I had that problem too and ended up using chunks. Many of them are too big but you can split them or I have a Band saw so I just sliced them down. The person who originally suggested this tip just used a chisel to split them. That seemed to work better than chips but it isn't perfect. Try and load them so they don't wedge themselves in or you will end up with them binding up and not falling down. You might also check the collar that holds the tube. If it is pushed to far up then the grate will sit right on the burner and burn too fast. This also happened to me because I was trying to force the chips down which caused the collar to slide slightly up. In any case the tube actually rocked because the grate was sitting on the coils instead of sitting just above the coils. Solution was a few gentle taps with a hammer to slightly move the collar down a bit (and hence raise the grate). Its just a friction fit. I also use the flexible aluminum driver vent. Without that the taste is really bad because the amount of smoke is way too heavy and there is too much creosote. With those modifications the cold smoker works for hot smoking and gives you more time than the chip loader but I never got close to the MB rated amount of time.

I have the largest Cabela's Pellet grill. It does a nice job at most everything. However I missed the real smoky flavor of the wood chips from my former MES 30" I had prior to this pellet grill (sold it to purchase the new pellet grill).

I found a deal, someone was selling a MES 30" Bluetooth unit for cheap - I jumped on it. However the Bluetooth is not working with the app I downloaded. Not sure why, other than the app may be newer and the BT firmware on the unit may not be compatible now(?).

I want more smoke added to long cooks and cold smoke cheeses and such. I've been researching and found the MES Slow Smoker to be an affordable option. I've ordered it (on it's way) and will be testing it using Mojobrick Mini's as they are the smallest size they make. They will be my fuel source to test with. Though I'm a bit worried they won't fit in the hopper. Mojobricks are compressed sawdust of organic hardwoods (like pellets), but without any binders. I'll report back on 1.) if they fit in the unit, 2.) the smoke quality/color, 3.) time the bricks burn, 4/) and flavor quality it produces.

Based on what I've read here, I'll be setting up a flexible dryer vent pipe to connect the Slow Smoker to my MES-30-BT.

No, that controller is used to regulate temperature. Trying to find a temperature that gives good smoke would probably be difficult with the cold smoke accessory. You're just really trying to reduce the output of the element so a dimmer/scr would probably be better.

Would this work?

I just got the Cold Smoker attachment a few weeks ago and used it to smoke some sausages in my GOSM. Like many, I found the chips burned up very fast. I was using Little Chief Smokehouse chips, which are very fine. I found an Amazon review that said when using fine chips, you can get the smoker going well and then shut off the power and the remaining chips will continue to burn slowly.

Other folks said that the larger size chips like Weber, Wester, etc, burn much better and longer and keep power on the whole time.

Haven't tried either yet but will once the rains stop.

One of these MES Cold Smoke machines was on my list, and I read where that guy just gets his going for 15-20 minutes, then shuts off the power and it takes care of itself continuing to burn.
So that would be the first thing to try, just shut it off.
You could also try a wet/dry chip mix if it is still a run away.
I'm following anything I find on these 'Electrified Mailbox Mods'.
But may just wind up in A-maz-N herd.

Al's PopCorn mod sounds really good too.

Why not order direct from Todd... The owner of the AMNPS products... He's a member here...
http://www.amazenproducts.com/product_p/amnps5x8.htm

I almost did, Dave. I had one in the cart 2-3 weeks ago, ready to buy. Then hit a snag.... Shipping. $13.50 for shipping.
Damn it. I can get Todds AMNPS from Home Depot with free shipping.
If Home Depot can get free shipping, why can't I?

Side Bar:
I went on a rampage against Amazon Jan. 2017, and found lots of FREE SHIPPING as a result. I crossed over to Ebay and I can not only get free shipping, I can see who the item is coming from. (Like USA based small businesses).
Shipping is a big deal to me. I don't want to buy somebodies lunch for doing what they were hired for, Shipping and Handling.

So, sorry, it's a dog eat dog world now. And I don't like getting chewed on.
So now you know exactly why I've drawn a line in the sand. Shipping sticks in my craw. :mad:

But, Thank You for the suggestion!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky