Masterbuilt Automatic Temperature Regulator

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

swirv

Original poster
Oct 23, 2013
So over Thanksgiving my Father in law brought his Turkey Fryer over.  He has an automatic temperature regulator that once he sets the temp desired, the regulator will automatically adjust the flame to keep the temperature consistent. 

Is there something that can be used to do the same for my Vertical Propane Smoker?  I have tried searching and have found countless electric temp controllers. 

I greatly appreciate all help!!

Swirv

OH!!! The current one is what came OEM.  It is just a knob, has High and Low settings.  The problem I am getting are temperature fluctuations.  I am having to constantly monitor and adjust the vent's opening and/or having to turn up or down the knob.  I smoked a 10lb brisket as my first meal and it turned out pretty good, but I had to start it at 3am and didn't get much sleep because I had to constantly adjust the temperature. 

Somewhere, I have one of the thermostats.  I bought it online, only it would not fit the larger threads of my Bayou classic burner, so I have never tried it.  From my search results, they no longer sell them.

They use no electricity.  You unhook the hose from your burner, thread the thermostat into the burner, then thread the hose into the thermostat.

It has an attached thermocouple that, I assume, mechanically adjusts a pressure regulator, or flow valve.  The fuel flow rate of a turkey fryer is much higher than a small propane smoker like you have.  The valve may not adjust this down low enough, it just depends.  I know when my fried turkeys are almost done, I have to turn the burner way down.

It certainly would be a heck of a tool if they will work.

Don

Yea no kidding!! I am sure there is someway to get it to work.  Would be amazing to be able to pop a brisket in at 3am and not have to hoover over my thermo watching the temp. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky