Masterbilt cold smoker kit

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Corban

Original poster
Nov 19, 2017
I just purchased this unit, it makes a ton of smoke but it seems like it's not that clean thin blue smoke I get with my uds. Any tips tricks would be appreciated

I put lava lock tape around the spout that goes in the MES and ditched the long J hook. I don't like the way the J hook dents in the thin sheet metal inside the smoker unit preventing you from using the chip insertion tool. I got it all straightened out in there now so I can use it without the cold smoker kit.

There really isn't much to it. When I had mine, I removed the chip tray and opened up the vent. I stopped using it because the chimney would build up with creosote and the chips would stick. I bought the amazen pellet tray and that seems to work much better.

There really isn't much to it. When I had mine, I removed the chip tray and opened up the vent. I stopped using it because the chimney would build up with creosote and the chips would stick. I bought the amazen pellet tray and that seems to work much better.

I bought 2 40" MES units almost 2 years ago. Bought the cold smokers the same time. I had to constantly check on them due to the chips sticking in the chimneys. I started using the 18" AMZNTS and it's a set and forget thing for me now

Reactions: Walchit
I bought 2 40" MES units almost 2 years ago. Bought the cold smokers the same time. I had to constantly check on them due to the chips sticking in the chimneys. I started using the 18" AMZNTS and it's a set and forget thing for me now
I would randomly kick the side of the cold smoker, whether it was still smoking or not. Almost every time, you'd hear all of the wood chips fall inside. It was still much easier than reloading the chip tube every 45 minutes.

Wish I had an answer for the original question though. Mine put out perfect smoke when it was working.

I just purchased this unit, it makes a ton of smoke but it seems like it's not that clean thin blue smoke I get with my uds. Any tips tricks would be appreciated

Hi there and welcome!

I don't own one but I believe I read someone post how they bought some sort of chord with a dial on it and then to plug smoker to dial'ed chord and the dial'ed chord to the wall. This way way they could regulate how hot the cold smoker attachment got to get Thin Blue Smoke (TBS).

I believe their process was to have it heat full on at first and then turn the electricity down to keep the chips going but not over heated. I hope this helps :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky