March '23 Throwdown: Gone But Not Forgotten (Edited)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
As you all know, the "powers that be" formed a small committee to organize and run the Throwdowns. The Superbowl TD was truly epic and all handled by TNJAKE TNJAKE gmc2003 gmc2003 and DougE DougE They did a truly amazing job. Putting these events together takes a massive amount of time and work. Due to life commitments, our friend Jake came to the conclusion that he simply does not have the time available to work with the committee on these and decided to resign. His schedule has changed though and he has returned to the TD committee. He gave ample notice to find his replacement before this one was ready to go and the offer was extended to me to be his replacement but he's back now!!. As you can see, I accepted :emoji_wink: Kudos to Jake for all of his work and efforts to make the Superbowl event as great as it turned out to be.

Now to this one. After much discussion it was decided to do an event in honor of the forum members we have lost: Gone But Not Forgotten. The rules for this one will differ considerably from previous events and the requirements dramatically lessened. The theme will be to replicate a thread from a member who has passed away. It can be anything: a full meal, finger food, a pizza, sausage, a pot of soup, anything at all you'd like to make. For this one, you will not be required to use a smoker or grill unless it was used in the original thread you are replicating. You will also not be required to use the exact same piece of equipment. They may have used an MES to smoke something but you can use a stick burner. They may have used a Ninja air fryer but you have a different brand, and that's fine. You must however use the same ingredients, not necessarily the same amounts, but the same ones. This gives freedom to cook to your personal tastes.

All entries must be sent to TNJAKE TNJAKE . Any entries sent to anybody other than Jake will be disqualified. This is to ensure that the voting is kept honest since Jake will not be voting in either category. When sending them in, do not include any reference to the person who's thread you are replicating, either on the plate or in the title. We want the focus to be on the food, not the member. That will come later, we assure you. When your entry is sent to Jake it must include the link to the thread that inspired you so it can be verified as being legitimate.

Code word for this will be Rememberance (please note the spelling). Tape the piece of paper with that written on it to your camera so you don't forget to make sure it's visible when taking the final pic. As with all previous TD's, you will submit one picture only with the basic description in the title of your PM to Jake.

Here is the link to the Throwdown rules:

Here is a list of some of the members who we have lost. This is primarily for the benefit of newer members (and a reminder for some of us old folks :emoji_wink:) who may not be familiar with some of the Old Guard here in the forum and need a starting place.

Scott in KC, salmonclubber, Big Arms Smoking, Richoso1, ColeySmokinBBQ, Walking Dude, desertlites, Capt. Dan, ronp100343, Bassman, mballi3011, eman, Bearcarver, Scarbelly, fpnmf, chef-jimmyj, Smokin' in AZ, Foamheart, POPs6927, Dwdunlap, Gary S,

This is by no means a full list and you are not required to follow one of these people. You can use any recipe from any member as long as it can be confirmed the person was in fact a member in good standing within the forum.

Now to the part you've all been waiting for, and I'm very excite to announce this, THE PRIZES!! As of now there will be two prizes awarded: winner of the forum poll and winner of the judge's voting.

1st place in the forum poll voting will be "Winner's Choice" and you'll get to choose one of these three items which will be shipped directly to you. I just hope the links post correctly.

https://www.amazon.com/CHEFFANO-Stainless-Electric-Approved-Silver-L/dp/B08LLF8QLT/ref=sxin_16_pa_sp_search_thematic_sspa?content-id=amzn1.sym.17640126-9148-4700-a727-578cd66ffa9f%3Aamzn1.sym.17640126-9148-4700-a727-578cd66ffa9f&crid=ME378K4ZIN59&cv_ct_cx=meat+grinder+electric&keywords=meat+grinder+electric&pd_rd_i=B08LLF8QLT&pd_rd_r=fd510b44-39e2-47ed-b976-7b1a1cdfa1bd&pd_rd_w=0skE6&pd_rd_wg=UpcXn&pf_rd_p=17640126-9148-4700-a727-578cd66ffa9f&pf_rd_r=N4ZM7DASP3NQ3JV6E4W4&qid=1677253061&sprefix=meat+grinder%2Caps%2C146&sr=1-2-a73d1c8c-2fd2-4f19-aa41-2df022bcb241-spons&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.c1e7b9a2-53cf-44f5-ab39-5386af17669d&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzT1JGTTE5S0xUWVNEJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjczMzc5MjFOMjhWRVJDQlpWVCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwOTAwMzc2MTZEWU4wSDdBQ0xDOCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX3NlYXJjaF90aGVtYXRpYyZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Winner of the judge's voting will receive a $100 gift card from Porter Road. I will tell you from experience that they are first class and have some amazing offerings.

Hers is a link to Porter Road and once again, I hope it posts correctly.

Additional prizes may be offered if they come available so be on the lookout for possible updates.

All entries must be sent in to Jake no later than midnight Monday March 27th. That gives three full weekends to work with and lots of weekdays. Voting will begin on March 28th and run through April 3rd. Winner of the forum poll voting will be pretty obvious but it may take a day or so for the judges to get their votes compiled.

Well ladies and gentlemen, there has been a massive amount of time and work go into this. The whole concept was to honor the memory of members we have lost as well as giving you all a ton of options to work with. Now....LETS SEE SOME AMAZING ENTRIES!!

Thanks to all and we are REALLY looking forward to a huge turnout for this one.
Robert

Last edited:
Time to send it in for repairs or simply put it out to pasture...
Since I'm not allowed to enter, I'll send you mine. Keep the Excedrin handy but there may still be some stimulating ideas in there :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Hmmm, very interesting, I'm thinking thoughts!
It'd be great to see you put something together. I know you were friends with some of those folks so finding something to put together as an entry would be a great way to honor one of them.

Robert

Reactions: sawhorseray
Well since Gonna Smoke Gonna Smoke is getting your thinking cap, can I get your pool and margaritas???? I know where alot of your good ideas come from!
Well, I kinda knew this was coming from somebody but wasn't expecting it this early in the game :emoji_laughing: Kinda hard to ship the pool but if you come to visit, I'll giver you full run of the pool and all the margaritas you can drink.
Love the theme!
Thanks Ryan. I honestly don't remember who came up with the idea (it wasn't me) but we all loved it. You have some good ideas so I'm sure you can put together a fantastic entry.

Robert

It'd be great to see you put something together. I know you were friends with some of those folks so finding something to put together as an entry would be a great way to honor one of them.

Robert
That's what I was thinking Robert, reckon I'll do a little recipe search to see what I can come up with. RAY

That's what I was thinking Robert, reckon I'll do a little recipe search to see what I can come up with.
That would be great my friend. As you know though, please don't tell me who or what you're doing :emoji_wink: The folks farther up the ladder might give me a big slap on the wrist.

Robert

As you all know, the "powers that be" formed a small committee to organize and run the Throwdowns. The Superbowl TD was truly epic and all handled by TNJAKE TNJAKE gmc2003 gmc2003 and DougE DougE They did a truly amazing job. Putting these events together takes a massive amount of time and work. Due to life commitments, our friend Jake came to the conclusion that he simply does not have the time available to work with the committee on these and decided to resign. He gave ample notice to find his replacement before this one was ready to go and the offer was extended to me to be his replacement. As you can see, I accepted :emoji_wink: Kudos to Jake for all of his work and efforts to make the Superbowl event as great as it turned out to be.

Now to this one. After much discussion it was decided to do an event in honor of the forum members we have lost: Gone But Not Forgotten. The rules for this one will differ considerably from previous events and the requirements dramatically lessened. The theme will be to replicate a thread from a member who has passed away. It can be anything: a full meal, finger food, a pizza, sausage, a pot of soup, anything at all you'd like to make. For this one, you will not be required to use a smoker or grill unless it was used in the original thread you are replicating. You will also not be required to use the exact same piece of equipment. They may have used an MES to smoke something but you can use a stick burner. They may have used a Ninja air fryer but you have a different brand, and that's fine. You must however use the same ingredients, not necessarily the same amounts, but the same ones. This gives freedom to cook to your personal tastes.

All entries must be sent to DougE DougE . Any entries sent to anybody other than Doug will be disqualified. This is to ensure that the voting is kept honest since Doug will not be voting in either category. When sending them in, do not include any reference to the person who's thread you are replicating, either on the plate or in the title. We want the focus to be on the food, not the member. That will come later, we assure you. When your entry is sent to Doug it must include the link to the thread that inspired you so it can be verified as being legitimate.

Code word for this will be Rememberance (please note the spelling). Tape the piece of paper with that written on it to your camera so you don't forget to make sure it's visible when taking the final pic. As with all previous TD's, you will submit one picture only with the basic description in the title of your PM to Doug.

Here is the link to the Throwdown rules:

Here is a list of some of the members who we have lost. This is primarily for the benefit of newer members (and a reminder for some of us old folks :emoji_wink:) who may not be familiar with some of the Old Guard here in the forum and need a starting place.

Scott in KC, salmonclubber, Big Arms Smoking, Richoso1, ColeySmokinBBQ, Walking Dude, desertlites, Capt. Dan, ronp100343, Bassman, mballi3011, eman, Bearcarver, Scarbelly, fpnmf, chef-jimmyj, Smokin' in AZ, Foamheart, POPs6927, Dwdunlap, Gary S,

This is by no means a full list and you are not required to follow one of these people. You can use any recipe from any member as long as it can be confirmed the person was in fact a member in good standing within the forum.

Now to the part you've all been waiting for, and I'm very excite to announce this, THE PRIZES!! As of now there will be two prizes awarded: winner of the forum poll and winner of the judge's voting.

1st place in the forum poll voting will be "Winner's Choice" and you'll get to choose one of these three items which will be shipped directly to you. I just hope the links post correctly.

https://www.amazon.com/CHEFFANO-Stainless-Electric-Approved-Silver-L/dp/B08LLF8QLT/ref=sxin_16_pa_sp_search_thematic_sspa?content-id=amzn1.sym.17640126-9148-4700-a727-578cd66ffa9f%3Aamzn1.sym.17640126-9148-4700-a727-578cd66ffa9f&crid=ME378K4ZIN59&cv_ct_cx=meat+grinder+electric&keywords=meat+grinder+electric&pd_rd_i=B08LLF8QLT&pd_rd_r=fd510b44-39e2-47ed-b976-7b1a1cdfa1bd&pd_rd_w=0skE6&pd_rd_wg=UpcXn&pf_rd_p=17640126-9148-4700-a727-578cd66ffa9f&pf_rd_r=N4ZM7DASP3NQ3JV6E4W4&qid=1677253061&sprefix=meat+grinder%2Caps%2C146&sr=1-2-a73d1c8c-2fd2-4f19-aa41-2df022bcb241-spons&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.c1e7b9a2-53cf-44f5-ab39-5386af17669d&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzT1JGTTE5S0xUWVNEJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjczMzc5MjFOMjhWRVJDQlpWVCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwOTAwMzc2MTZEWU4wSDdBQ0xDOCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX3NlYXJjaF90aGVtYXRpYyZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Winner of the judge's voting will receive a $100 gift card from Porter Road. I will tell you from experience that they are first class and have some amazing offerings.

Hers is a link to Porter Road and once again, I hope it posts correctly.

Additional prizes may be offered if they come available so be on the lookout for possible updates.

All entries must be sent in to Doug no later than midnight Monday March 27th. That gives three full weekends to work with and lots of weekdays. Voting will begin on March 28th and run through April 3rd. Winner of the forum poll voting will be pretty obvious but it may take a day or so for the judges to get their votes compiled.

Well ladies and gentlemen, there has been a massive amount of time and work go into this. The whole concept was to honor the memory of members we have lost as well as giving you all a ton of options to work with. Now....LETS SEE SOME AMAZING ENTRIES!!

Thanks to all and we are REALLY looking forward to a huge turnout for this one.
Robert
Great idea! Now to find one to replicate. Is there any way to search by user for only threads they started? I can’t seem to find thst but it’s a pretty basic function on most forums.

Reactions: sawhorseray
This is a great idea! What a nice way to honor our departed friends! Kudos to the whole committee for all your hard work and for a fine idea!

Red

Great idea! Now to find one to replicate. Is there any way to search by user for only threads they started? I can’t seem to find thst but it’s a pretty basic function on most forums.
Jeff, if you click on someone's name it brings up a screen, go over to... Find

20230308_161238.jpg

Click on that and it brings up this ... find all threads by jcam222

If I'm on my phone I have to click on their name, then when it pops the info up I have to click on their name a 2nd time to get to this same place.

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky