Maple Pepper Bacon Sausage Using Bearcarver's Loaf Method

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

I love the video! I lub the elmer fudd picture! I bet I'd love the bacon......

Great job Disco!
Thanks, Kevin. The hat was purchased when I first moved to the mountains 25 years ago, it has been used.
Lol....I too use a Kitchen-Aid for mixing and grinding! Best gift I ever bought my wife!
Thanks, Sgt. I like my KA for most things but it is only adequate for grinding, large grinds overheat it. I love it for bread and baking.

Nice looking sausage, bet it is great any time of day.  Well done sir!  
icon14.gif

Oh yea, I really like the little outdoor kitchen 
439.gif

Last edited:

Nice looking sausage, bet it is great any time of day.  Well done sir!  
icon14.gif

Oh yea, I really like the little outdoor kitchen 
439.gif
Thanks, Darwin. I do have to admit I have used in sandwiches and cold as a snack.

As for the cookhouse, I was able to persuade the missus as the smoker used to be near a window. She Who Must Be Obeyed totally supported any project that would move it.

Disco

I made this for a throwdown and loved it so much I will be making it regularly. However, when I made it before, I put it in an FB casing and sliced it in rounds to cook. This time I decided to try Bearcarver's loaf method from this post:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/106904/smoked-bear-loaf-hot-all-beef

The ingredients are:

2 kilograms/4.5 pounds pork butt diced

6 ml/1 teaspoon Prague powder #1

16 ml/1 tablespoon kosher salt

16 ml/1 tablespoon cracked peppercorns

12 ml/2 teaspoons ground pepper

80 ml/1/3 cup skim milk powder

120 ml/1/2 cup maple syrup

I started with a nice fatty piece of pork butt that was on sale. It wasn't boneless and I cut out the bone and diced it to 2 inch cubes for grinding.

Then I ground it through the finest plate on the Kitchen Aid.

I mixed the rest of the ingredients together to make a slurry.

I mixed the slurry into the pork by folding the edges into the centre for 3 minutes..

Then I beat the pork with the paddle in the Kitchen Aid at medium for 1 minute in 2 batches.

I did a fry test and it turned out great.

I lined a pan with enough plastic wrap to fold it over the top. I put the sausage in the casserole and covered it with the plastic wrap. Then I put it in the fridge overnight.

The next morning we were in the middle of a snowstorm!

Regardless, I put the sausage in the Bradley at 150 F for an hour, 160 F for an hour and 170 F for an hour over maple smoke.

Then I moved it inside to the oven for one hour at 180 F, one hour at 190 F and it took 2 hours at 200 F to bring the internal temperature to 155 F.

I let it cool and put it in the fridge overnight .Then I sliced it about 1/8 inch thick.

Of course, I fried some up.

The money shot.

I also made a YouTube Video of the smoke if you would like to see it.

The Verdict - This is really good. It has less sodium and fat than bacon but tastes great with a nice pepper/maple flavour. It will be a regular on my breakfast table.

Disco

WOW Disco! how did I not see this thread.  This looks amazing and it is on my "new recipes to try list"  One question - what is Prague Powder #1?

WOW Disco! how did I not see this thread.  This looks amazing and it is on my "new recipes to try list"  One question - what is Prague Powder #1?
Thanks, Josie. Prague Powder #1 is the curing agent. It is known by many brand names and descriptions, Instacure #1, Pink Salt, and others.

My buddy and I are pepper addicts and this has a lot of pepper in it. She Who Must Be Obeyed says I should cut back on the pepper. Just to warn you.

All I can say is WOW. Great idea and super video. Nice cook. CF
Thanks so much. We have fun with the videos.
Disco, that sure does look good. I too am a pepper addict. My wife is always telling me I like a little food with my pepper. I need to try that it looks great.
Thanks, Fished. You and my buddy! He love pepper too and says this is the best thing I make.

lad this got bumped back up! Great looking SPAM of the North! Im going to give you Points cause that sliced shot with the peppercorns is sot on! Once again a great smoke and nice video-tutorial!

Whoa!!!

That's almost spam...

Love it!

Points...
Thanks rarebit. Spam from Canada? Can Spam!
Great looking grub!
Thanks, Bill!

lad this got bumped back up! Great looking SPAM of the North! Im going to give you Points cause that sliced shot with the peppercorns is sot on! Once again a great smoke and nice video-tutorial!
Thanks, Case. I thought we weren't allowed to SPAM this forum?

Disco, I'm curious about something.  I don't have an electric smoker YET so how would this work in my offset smoker?  My guess is I would have to run my smoker at a lower temp than I normally run it correct?  I would smoke it for 3 hours and do like you did - finish cooking in the oven.  Does that sound about right?

Josie

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky