Maple Glaze for Salmon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Dutch

Smoking Guru
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Jul 7, 2005
Midvale, UT
I promised on another thread in this fourm that that I would post my Maple Glaze for you all. Here it is. . .

Maple Glaze for Salmon

1 cup pure maple syrup
2 tablespoons finely grated peeled fresh gingerroot
4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
Fresh ground pepper to taste

In a small heavy saucepan simmer maple syrup, gingerroot, 3 tablespoons lemon juice, soy sauce, garlic, lemon zest and pepper to taste until reduced to about 1 cup, about 30 minutes, and let cool. (Maple glaze may be made 2 days ahead and chilled, covered. Bring maple glaze to room temperature before proceeding.)

In another small saucepan heat half of glaze over low heat until heated through to use as a sauce. Stir in remaining tablespoon lemon juice. Remove pan from heat and keep sauce warm, covered.

NOTE: If you simmer the glaze for the full 30 minutes it will be more of a basting sauce. To use as a mop, divide the glaze into two equal portions after simmering for 5 - 10 minutes (long enough for the flavors to meld together). Simmer the second portion for the remaining 20 minutes and then add the last teaspoon of lemon juice. Serve as a side sauce.

The original recipe listed "Salt to taste". Since this recipe also contains soy sauce I omitted the salt altogether and replace the soy sauce with a "Low Sodium" Soy sauce.

If you choose to "spray" your mop, strain the sauce through some cheese cloth or pour though a fine mesh strainer to remove the garlic, ginger root and lemon zest.

Enjoy!!

Reactions: dukeburger
oooooooooooo that looks mighty tastey Dutch!

How do you keep fish from sticking tot the grills? I tried that once and it ended up looking like a pile of red tuna.

Dutch,

That slab o' salmon looks super! Thats a great color. I'm gonna have to try this out. (Maybe for the Super Bowl)

Debi,
My salmon smokes have gone well with relatively no sticking to the grates. I believe this has to do with not flipping it or moving it around like you may when grilling. By the time its done, the skin gets crispy and will release from the grate. I still use a spatula and 'baby' it on to the plate. I guess a shot of Pam wouldnt hurt either. Give it another try, that glaze looks amazing!

The glaze is awesome!!!! This is my little man's fav. I smoked a couple of filets the first time I used and he ate almost a whole filet!!!! I used grade B maple syrup, you probably won't find it in a grocery store, maybe like a whole foods store. I order it on-line through one of the many Vermont Maple syrup places. Definitely a stronger maple flavor and color than grade A maple. (Great on maple glazed turkey too!)

Dutch

You were right on the money again! That was some good stuff.

On my next go at it, I will divide the glaze in half and add some drained chunk pineapple to half. (like you do in your beans)

Doin some more of that "fishie" stuff for the mrs and me. Brined for 3 hrs, dried, then put in the frig for 3 hrs on a cake rake. Gonna smoke 'em for about 45 min (small cuts) with apple and cheery chips soaked and foil wrapped on the the gas grill. Salmon on the far side, foil wrapped chips over the burner (which will be on low). So good! Need to learn how to put pictures on the forum.............
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

this may be a silly question, but can you use the maple sauce for a brine?

If not, do you just baste with it while smoking?

Thanks!
Dave

Dave

I would use a traditional brine. The glaze is perfect for dipping & basting as a glaze. A brine usually runs 1 cup of salt to a gallon of water then add your brown sugar and spices to taste. Type brine in the search field and there are a bunch of variations ....... (most w/ exact measurements)

Give it a try, it is good stuff. I struggled dealing with the shredding the ginger root ....... man that stuff fought my cheese shredder ....... maybe that was the problem! I did a batch of non-brined salmon too and it was very good.

Enjoy, and keep us posted on your final product.

This looks great Dutch, definitely going to add this to my collection. Can't wait to try it.

Debi, if you put the fish on the grill skin side DOWN and leave it alone you should be OK. Sometimes you get lucky and the entire fillet will come away from the grill, but worst case, if the skin does stick, the fillet should lift away from the skin in one piece. Be carefull though it is delicate. Also I usually give the grills a coating of something, either veg oil or Pam, whatever is handy.

Between 200-225*

After the 1st 15 minutes.

The salmon has been swimming in the ocean all it's life, doesn't need a brine unless you are curing it and using a cold smoke.

This is my first post and I am fairly new to smoking. Do you just baste the fish with this recipe or do you marinate the fish in it and if so for how long?

Do you also baste and if so at what point.

The sauce is not a marinade; use the sauce for basting and begin basting after the first 15 minutes.

If you never tried this you must! My son has been making this for years now! He loves when I bring home a salmon filet, he knows he's cooking!

I went and ate at a place called Rodney's Seafood in Vancouver (they have one in Toronto too) they had something called Haida Candy. It was a dryer salmon cut in sticks, that I believe was made with maple. Does anyone know if this tastes like that?

Just found this glaze again. I might be doing this glaze today or maybe try something a lil more tropical.

Figured I would say thanks again for posting this great glaze though.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky