Maple flavoring/ seasoning

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mdntxprs

Original poster
Sep 16, 2019
NWI North West Indiana
I have my own breakfast sausage recipe and looking to make some with maple flavor. I used maple syrup and that worked but the sugar got dark quick almost burning. So looking for a replacement, maple extract? Maple seasoning?
TIA

Here’s one from The Sausage Maaker:
Hope this helps.
Al

I have my own breakfast sausage recipe and looking to make some with maple flavor. I used maple syrup and that worked but the sugar got dark quick almost burning. So looking for a replacement, maple extract? Maple seasoning?
TIA
have you tried maple sugar instead of syrup?

Another option is to use fenugreek. Its a seed / herb. I know its commonly used to get a maple flavor in commercial products. Ive used it in smoked maple sausage before. It definitely delivers the maple flavor.

Reactions: chopsaw
maple extract?
Been thinking on this awhile now . I have the mix Al posted . Falls way short by it self . I was leaning towards extract . The amount would be what needs to be figured out . I was thinking of adding the extract to the liquid and doing a taste test .
I used lemon extract in weisswurst . You can taste it for sure . I think I used 1/2 tsp in 5 pounds .
Just a bit strong for that .
I was thinking doing 5 pounds . Mix it up then add maple to half . That way you have some without extract to add to it if to strong .

Yea I've tried a lot of pre-made sausage seasonings and yet to find one really flavorful. So made up my own recipe that my family thinks is really good(simple really, lot trial-and-error) but syrup and maple sugar tend to burn.
Gonna look up the fenugreek

Reactions: Sowsage
Yea I've tried a lot of pre-made sausage seasonings and yet to find one really flavorful. So made up my own recipe that my family thinks is really good(simple really, lot trial-and-error) but syrup and maple sugar tend to burn.
Gonna look up the fenugreek

If you add sugars or syrups to a breakfast sausage, thaw thoroughly then fry them on low to keep the sugars from scorching. once the patties are cooked through, you can increase the heat to brown them a little...

They do sell real maple extract. It has no fenugreek, and is made from the bark of maple trees. I think King Arthur makes it. That is one way to get maple flavor without the sugar but IMO the sugar is necessary for that real maple taste....the extra just enhances the maple when adding maple syrup. I have always used them together.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky